One Honest Basketball Player

We get it William, you hate black people. We get it.

You don't have to hate the people of Haiti to realize that they just ain't like us.

Shirley writes on flipcollective.com why he won’t be joining the millions from around the globe sending money to support the Haitian relief efforts.

“I haven’t donated a cent to the Haitian relief effort. And I probably will not.

“{snip} If I use history as my guide, I don’t think the people of Haiti will do much with my money either.

{snip}

He continued: “Shouldn’t there be some discourse on how the millions of dollars that are being poured into Haiti will be spent? And at least a slight reprimand for the conditions prior to the earthquake? Some kind of inquisition? Something like this?:

Dear Haitians—
First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.

As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it’s possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?

Sincerely,

The Rest of the World
The essay, posted on the FlipCollective Web site on Tuesday, has already cost Shirley one job.
Shirley was fired from his freelance gig with ESPN on Wednesday.

Well as an Engineer as well as somebody who lives/have lived in California i can tell you he is right about their shitty houses.

It was not that there was anything special about the earthquake - its the fact that their houses weren't designed to withstand the kind of quakes that one can reasonably expect in the location where they were built.

But when you are the poorest nation in the hemisphere you don't exactly get to choose what to build houses out of. You build them out of shit, because that's what you have.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back