One grocery store in town

Our little town is much like the politics congress and many areas throughout the country today we have one grocery store here in this town. Every time I shop there I get more agitated as I walk through the isles. The grocery store is phasing out most other brands for quite a few years now and replacing everything they can with store brand items. More recently though they are putting almost all items on shelves with their brand name. The cereal isle is the worse and today was even worse than usual as what few name brands are left in the store were placed on the top shelf hard to reach places. In the past I bought items that were labeled with the store name. The quality of their store brand items I bought were awful so I don't get anymore items with their name on them. Instead I buy only what I can't do without until I can drive to a town with stores with more choices.

Politics are the same way today the choices are being limited to a very few brand name items that are being pushed at the public at an alarming rate. People are being led by a few who want all the political leaders to have their brand on them even if the quality of their leadership is inferior it will be the only choice left after a season or two.
I want to ask you small town conservatives. Where do your kids go after they graduate college? Chances are they can't find work in your town am I correct?

It depends

some stay

some work in the area

some move away

out here many of us travel to work

in my small town

we have a electric company

a cabinet making shop

a hospital with several other units

large vet service

a cable company

two electrical shops

several mechanical shops

just to name a few

all of which hire folks

How much do those people make? Not much.

they make all sorts of wages and benefits too

your prejudice is showing again
I don't want to argue. Fact is most people who stay in your town end up part of the struggling blue collar.

Please take into account cost of living. I have held the same job in Louisiana, Washington and BC Canada (exact same franchise). Salary was exactly the same in WA as in LA but cost of living was much higher in WA than LA, so I am financially better in Louisiana. Salary in Vancouver was higher but not nearly enough to cover the ridiculous cost of living. Note that I am not a dual citizen. If I were a Canadian citizen, that may have offset some, but not much as I do not have children. Canadians get money annually for every child.

I am an educated professional (BA in Mathematics +40, which matters in education ... the +40, I mean) and was in all 3 locations. My money gets 50% more house in LA than in WA.

Average Price Per Square Foot Map - Discover Home Loans

http://cost-of-living.careertrends.com/d/a/State

LouisianaSee details
WashingtonSee details
LouisianaLouisiana
vsWashingtonWashington

Add to Comparison
See all Cost of Living
+
+
+
Overview
Key Facts
Things to consider between Louisiana and Washington:

• Washington has a higher cost of living: Washington is 1% above the national average, while Louisiana is 13% below
  • Categories:
    • Childcare: Washington is 12% above the national average, while Louisiana is 48% below
    • Food: Washington and Louisiana are both the same as the national average
    • Healthcare: Washington is the same as the national average, while Louisiana is 2% above
    • Housing: Washington is 5% above the national average, while Louisiana is 10% below
    • Taxes: Washington is 16% below the national average, while Louisiana is 26% below
    • Transportation: Washington is 2% below the national average, while Louisiana is 1% below
  • http://cost-of-living.careertrends.com/compare/3124-3153/Louisiana-vs-Washington

Please take into account cost of living. I have held the same job in Louisiana, Washington and BC Canada (exact same franchise). Salary was exactly the same in WA as in LA but cost of living was much higher in WA than LA, so I am financially better in Louisiana. Salary in Vancouver was higher but not nearly enough to cover the ridiculous cost of living. Note that I am not a dual citizen. If I were a Canadian citizen, that may have offset some, but not much as I do not have children. Canadians get money annually for every child.

I am an educated professional (BA in Mathematics +40, which matters in education ... the +40, I mean) and was in all 3 locations. My money gets 50% more house in LA than in WA.

Average Price Per Square Foot Map - Discover Home Loans

http://cost-of-living.careertrends.com/d/a/State

LouisianaSee details
WashingtonSee details
LouisianaLouisiana
vsWashingtonWashington

Add to Comparison
See all Cost of Living
+
+
+
Overview
Key Facts
Things to consider between Louisiana and Washington:

• Washington has a higher cost of living: Washington is 1% above the national average, while Louisiana is 13% below
  • Categories:
    • Childcare: Washington is 12% above the national average, while Louisiana is 48% below
    • Food: Washington and Louisiana are both the same as the national average
    • Healthcare: Washington is the same as the national average, while Louisiana is 2% above
    • Housing: Washington is 5% above the national average, while Louisiana is 10% below
    • Taxes: Washington is 16% below the national average, while Louisiana is 26% below
    • Transportation: Washington is 2% below the national average, while Louisiana is 1% below
  • http://cost-of-living.careertrends.com/compare/3124-3153/Louisiana-vs-Washington
I would love to have my job in a rural community.

Funny thing is I could work from home if I wanted. I should move to a cheap community. Nah!

Forum List

Back