One grocery store in town

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
Our little town is much like the politics congress and many areas throughout the country today we have one grocery store here in this town. Every time I shop there I get more agitated as I walk through the isles. The grocery store is phasing out most other brands for quite a few years now and replacing everything they can with store brand items. More recently though they are putting almost all items on shelves with their brand name. The cereal isle is the worse and today was even worse than usual as what few name brands are left in the store were placed on the top shelf hard to reach places. In the past I bought items that were labeled with the store name. The quality of their store brand items I bought were awful so I don't get anymore items with their name on them. Instead I buy only what I can't do without until I can drive to a town with stores with more choices.

Politics are the same way today the choices are being limited to a very few brand name items that are being pushed at the public at an alarming rate. People are being led by a few who want all the political leaders to have their brand on them even if the quality of their leadership is inferior it will be the only choice left after a season or two.

Our little town is much like the politics congress and many areas throughout the country today we have one grocery store here in this town. Every time I shop there I get more agitated as I walk through the isles. The grocery store is phasing out most other brands for quite a few years now and replacing everything they can with store brand items. More recently though they are putting almost all items on shelves with their brand name. The cereal isle is the worse and today was even worse than usual as what few name brands are left in the store were placed on the top shelf hard to reach places. In the past I bought items that were labeled with the store name. The quality of their store brand items I bought were awful so I don't get anymore items with their name on them. Instead I buy only what I can't do without until I can drive to a town with stores with more choices.

Politics are the same way today the choices are being limited to a very few brand name items that are being pushed at the public at an alarming rate. People are being led by a few who want all the political leaders to have their brand on them even if the quality of their leadership is inferior it will be the only choice left after a season or two.
I want to ask you small town conservatives. Where do your kids go after they graduate college? Chances are they can't find work in your town am I correct?

Where the hell is that "little town"? We have specialty shops in rural Virginia that sell local items but we haven't seen grocery stores with their own names on items since the 1940's.

I want to ask you small town conservatives. Where do your kids go after they graduate college? Chances are they can't find work in your town am I correct?
My children went into that adult world fully equipped. One knew how to run all of the equipment and stuff like that at 11. The other could supervise, write safety programs, etc... by the time they were 16. Neither did the college deal and the smarter of the two that thought they needed college got lost for awhile but eventually pulled out of it. The other one well they make more than most college grads but they both are extremely talented and could do pretty much whatever they want. If they make or have made mistakes along the way they are responsible for whatever those may be.

Last edited:
Where the hell is that "little town"? We have specialty shops in rural Virginia that sell local items but we haven't seen grocery stores with their own names on items since the 1940's.
We have one of those here (now).

Last edited:

Here, the plants employ a LOT of people and pull from the small towns where they are located.

Chemical Plant Operator Salaries in Louisiana and by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com

Chemical Plant and System Operators

There are also a lot employed in the health industry, child and elder care, tourism, food industry, fishing/shrimping, retail, engineering, education, construction, auto industry (including maintenance and after market parts/installation, law enforcement, etc. On the bad side, we have way too many lawyers.

ETA: I am a self employed academic tutor and doing well.

Here, the plants employ a LOT of people and pull from the small towns where they are located.

Chemical Plant Operator Salaries in Louisiana and by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com

There are also a lot employed in the health industry, child and elder care, tourism, food industry, fishing/shrimping, retail, engineering, education, construction, auto industry (including maintenance and after market parts/installation, law enforcement, etc. On the bad side, we have way too many lawyers.

An old judge friend says that lawyer bs now is because the law schools lower the standards for entrance exams. In that he said we got a ton of unethical idiots attorneys in the system. That conversation with him was over twenty years and now we have a lot of those if'iots on the bench.

I know all the types of jobs that are in a small town. I'm none of those things.

My brother makes a lot of money. 4 years ago he said he would invest in a business in this town we go up to if I could think of a business I would want to run in a small town. When we'd go up I'd wonder what does this town need. What is it ready for? I wish I was that kind of guy but what I do is corporate sales. If there were any corporate jobs I would have moved up in a heartbeat. I get paid a pretty good salary. I'm not any of those things you listed above. I'd love to be the cop in a small town. Btw he gets a pension

An old judge friend says that lawyer bs now is because the law schools lower the standards for entrance exams. In that he said we got a ton of unethical idiots attorneys in the system. That conversation with him was over twenty years and now we have a lot of those if'iots on the bench.

It's worse here. We operate under Napoleanic Law (Napoleanic Code). For some reason, lawyers thrive in this climate. Per capita, we are in the top 10 States with the most lawyers.

I know all the types of jobs that are in a small town. I'm none of those things.

My brother makes a lot of money. 4 years ago he said he would invest in a business in this town we go up to if I could think of a business I would want to run in a small town. When we'd go up I'd wonder what does this town need. What is it ready for? I wish I was that kind of guy but what I do is corporate sales. If there were any corporate jobs I would have moved up in a heartbeat. I get paid a pretty good salary. I'm not any of those things you listed above. I'd love to be the cop in a small town. Btw he gets a pension

I got tired of busting my ass for someone else and needed to spend more time with my aging disabled mother (next up hubby's mother who is pushing 70). I made my own job after tossing around a few ideas. I almost became a laundress (love folding clothes for some reason). I make more money working for myself in half the time. It was scary as shit, but took off like a rocket. I am very grateful.

It's worse here. We operate under Napoleanic Law (Napoleanic Code). For some reason, lawyers thrive in this climate. Per capita, we are in the top 10 States with the most lawyers.
Went through there a few times but didn't dilly dally around. They have a bunch everywhere that are dumb asses, chicken shits or crooks. I could write several books on the experiences we have had over the years in that category. I think eventually they will neuter themselves through their abundance.

Life is full of choices in the 'valley of decision'. Just remember you get to live with those decisions you make.

I don't know, he could live in Detroit. A very liberal city.

Went through there a few times but didn't dilly dally around. They have a bunch everywhere that are dumb asses, chicken shits or crooks. I could write several books on the experiences we have had over the years in that category. I think eventually they will neuter themselves through their abundance.

We can hope! Lol

We can hope! Lol
They eat their own when life goes to shit.

We can hope! Lol

I have a horrible, dirty secret ... worse than being a conservative.

Both my father and my youngest brother are lawyers.

Oh the shame.

I've always lived in cities and so I can't relate to the OP about stores. However, concerning the confinement of politics I've always contrasted it with the difference between life of my childhood compared to today. As a kid we only had only three television channels. UHF then came on the scene about the time I was in high school and then cable became popular after college. Same way with magazines, when I was a kid households either subscribed to Life or Look, Time or Newsweek, and of course there was TV Guide. Now I look at all the choices opened up to the public in everything but politics. I feel it doesn't make sense.

Socialism fucks everything up

Have a drink and relax before you go over there.

If that does not work take a happy pill.

We can hope! Lol

I have a horrible, dirty secret ... worse than being a conservative.

Both my father and my youngest brother are lawyers.

Oh the shame.
I have some really super good friends that are attorneys and some that are judges.

Forum List

Back