One for the Good Guys

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Texan kills thieves: Hero or homicidal?

By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON, Associated Press Writer
23 minutes ago

HOUSTON - The cha-chick of a shell entering a shotgun's chamber rattled through the 911 line just before Joe Horn stepped out his front door.

Horn, 61, had phoned police when he saw two men break into his neighbor's suburban Houston home through a window in broad daylight. Now they were getting away with a bag of loot.

"Don't go outside the house," the 911 operator pleaded. "You're going to get yourself shot if you go outside that house with a gun. I don't care what you think."

"You want to make a bet?" Horn answered. "I'm going to kill them."

He did.

Admirers, including several of his neighbors, say Horn is a hero for killing the burglars, protecting his neighborhood and sending a message to would-be criminals. Critics call him a loose cannon. His attorney says Horn just feared for his life.

Prosecuting Horn could prove difficult in Texas, where few people sympathize with criminals and many have an almost religious belief in the right to self-defense. The case could test the state's self-defense laws, which allow people to use deadly force in certain situations to protect themselves, their property and their neighbors' property.

more ... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071127/ap_on_re_us/burglary_shooting

I just heard this morning of a grandmother in a local rural town fending off burglars with a handgun last night. she was alone with her grandkids when someone tried to break in and she got dirty harry on their asses. My town has been going through a crime wave lately. I have a special surprise for a home invader that isn't milk and cookies.

he saw two men break into his neighbor's suburban Houston home through a window in broad daylight. Now they were getting away with a bag of loot.

so they were already out of the house and running away with the loot.

As for me, I wouldn't shoot somebody fleeing in the back, simply over some "loot". I wouldn't take a human life over a DVD player. I don't think Jesus would either.

If they were in the house, or entering it, or could otherwise could pose an imminent threat, I would be prepared to use lethal force.

I would. At that point the burglars human life don't mean much. I might not be as quick to shoot to kill but... someone would get leaded. Perhaps the behaviourism would kick in and he'd associate robbing people with pain and totally avoid later crime.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Is Stealing a DVD Player worth it? Well, is it, punk?"
harry.jpg

When George W. Bush got arrested as a college student, for stealing someone's christmas wreath from their property, would a just punishment have been for him to be shot in the back while running away?

When George W. Bush got arrested as a college student, for stealing someone's christmas wreath from their property, would a just punishment have been for him to be shot in the back while running away?

Did Bush break into the house to steal the wreath? Or did he simply take it from the lawn, tree, or door? To compare an act of college mischief to career criminals violating the sanctity of a persons home and stealing what they worked hard to own is not only asinine but intellectually dishonest as well. The two incidents are nowhere close to comparable

Your dislike, ney, your hatred for Bush is showing.

I have to agree.

I don't think bringing up bush helps the argument at all.

I think there is a HUGE difference between breaking into a house with a criminal motivation and youthful hijinx. Now, some might argue that putting foot on property at all warrants a lethal reaction but I think there is a clear element of personal threat involved with one and not the other. Certainly, if bush held a family hostage while Oceans W'ing the wreath he'd be in danger of a lethal reaction but pranks are not burglary.

And even pranksters should know they're taking a risk if they decide to steal/trespass/vandalize.

I think popping off shots at a giggling shadow after hearing sounds on your porch might be a bit extreme.

But shooting someone who is ransacking your home is a different thing. I'll bet every criminal buddy of those guys rethinks his chosen profession...and the world is now a safer place.

Welcome to the wild west, 'why I think those engines is actin up, let get us a posse together boys and show dem we are real good guys, you hear now boys.' bang bang u dead....

Yes, well, at least here you don't get mugged on the street, raped in your apartment, or gunned down in convenience stores.

Your narrow mindedness/arrogance is showing. Not everyone who lives outside of the metro area is a rube. And your comment below is bigotry. WHich I don't care about, personally, because I hear it all the time. But I like to point it out to others, because the people who are most likely to sink into it are the ones who insist that conservatives and Christians are the bigots, and who think they, as elitist urbanites, should get to tell all us unfortunate, stupid and inbred yahoos what to do.

And even pranksters should know they're taking a risk if they decide to steal/trespass/vandalize.

Good. Thanks for your honesty. So we've established that if George Bush got blown away by a shot gun for stealing a wreath, that would be a-okay.

think popping off shots at a giggling shadow after hearing sounds on your porch might be a bit extreme.

But shooting someone who is ransacking your home is a different thing. I'll bet every criminal buddy of those guys rethinks his chosen profession...and the world is now a safer place.

did you read the article? It wasn't "his" home. It was his neighbors home. He had no idea what those people stole. For all he knew, it might have been some teenage kids who stole an Xbox, or (gasp) stole a christmas wreath or xmas presents. Does that merit a death sentence, when they are running away? Did the guy even knew what they took? (no, he didn't). Where they a threat to the shooters own property? (no, they weren't)

In short, this is vigalante justice.

Welcome to the wild west, 'why I think those engines is actin up, let get us a posse together boys and show dem we are real good guys, you hear now boys.' bang bang u dead....

THAT, sir, is a stupid response. let me remind you that it wasn't pacifism that tamed the wild west. It wasn't gun hating bitches waving a finger that the law embraced in order to quell violence. No, it was why Earp's gun was called the peacemaker. Be facetious all you want... I guess there is no other place to go after tossing your credibility into the sky like a clay pidgeon.

Good. Thanks for your honesty. So we've established that if George Bush got blown away by a shot gun for stealing a wreath, that would be a-okay.

Well, it certainly wouldn't be shocking since we DO have trespassing laws...

did you read the article? It wasn't "his" home. It was his neighbors home. He had no idea what those people stole. For all he knew, it might have been some teenage kids who stole an Xbox, or (gasp) stole a christmas wreath or xmas presents. Does that merit a death sentence, when they are running away? Did the guy even knew what they took? (no, he didn't). Where they a threat to the shooters own property? (no, they weren't)

In short, this is vigalante justice.

Hopefully, your neighbor thinks that very same thing when they see your house being burglarized. Hell, maybe they can just mind their own business entirely and ignore the crime happening next door. Certainly, it's blows the mind to fathom that the next door neighbor might have an interest in purging the neighborhood of a criminal element.. Nothing says SAFE quite like a robbery next door.

Yes, a death sentence. Sorry, I don't subscribe to the "poor guy was forced into crime" rationalization of criminal activity. Shit, let's just make a law making burglary safe and legal.. You know, so that no property owners can get the impression that it's ok to defend their family and posessions with antyhing more than a ping pong paddle and a lecture.

:cuckoo:

It isn't vigilantism if you kill someone who is commiting a crime. It's vigilantism if you find out who committed the crime, then find out where they live, and lay in wait.

Moral of the story: DON'T ROB PEOPLE'S HOUSES. They might have a gun, or their neighbor might.

As for me, I wouldn't shoot somebody fleeing in the back, simply over some "loot". I wouldn't take a human life over a DVD player. I don't think Jesus would either.
Its a good thing that you liberals don't allow us to mix religion into our laws, isnt it?

It doesnt matter what Jesus would do -- it matters what the law says you can/can't do.

Forum List

Back