One fear under Trump is coming to pass, as expected.

I mentioned earlier that I had reasons to vote for, and against Hillary. One reason I had to vote for her, and I might add the only reason I had to vote for her, was the Department of Justice practice of policing the police.

During the Obama years the Department of Justice has aggressively investigated the police and identified many violations of Civil Rights, and strove to end those practices under what are called "Consent Decrees". These are little more than contracts signed by both parties, the government body overseeing the police, and the Department of Justice. These agreements say that the police will stop doing whatever it is that they are doing that is unconstitutional, and the DOJ won't prosecute anyone or fine the Police Departments that are engaged in these violations.

It's little more than a promise to respect Civil Rights, that would be the rights you and I have guaranteed to us under the Constitution. Now I expected that they would taper off, perhaps even end under a Trump administration. One of the issues I believe that the Republicans are generally speaking absolutely wrong about is their respect/support for authority in just about every case. Sure enough, Senator Sessions who is soon to be the Attorney General says that there won't be any more of those.

Activist use of ‘consent decrees’ to police law enforcement likely to end under Trump, Sessions

So what kind of activities were investigated and were so onerous that Senator Sessions soon to be Attorney General Sessions finds unreasonable burdens on our police? Well, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department was found to have one hundred policies, practices, and procedures that were unconstitutional. These included violations of the 4th Amendment regarding unconstitutional search and seizures of low income housing. In other words, the police would just enter the homes searching for any evidence they wanted to look for without a warrant or permission. The Sheriff's Department also planted evidence on individuals who were visiting relatives and friends in jail. The investigation into that led to several police officers including the Chief Deputy Sheriff to go to jail because they ordered a cover up. The Sheriff himself has been implicated, and reached a plea deal to plead guilty to a lower charge, but the Judge refused to allow the lessened jail sentence that had been agreed to, and the Sheriff withdrew his guilty plea.

So Attorney General Sessions believes that the cops are doing a great job, breaking into homes, and planting evidence on people the Deputies throw a beating on.

In Ferguson, the police were found to be violating civil rights regularly. One example of that pattern of misconduct was a man who was pulled over, and misidentified as a criminal wanted by the police. They beat the man, and even when his identity had been confirmed as an innocent guy, he was still charged with resisting arrest and destruction of public property. The uniforms of the police were ruined when he bled on the cops. Seriously, I sincerely wish I was making that up.

The nonexistent war on police may well become real in the near future. The people are tired of being abused, of having their rights trampled, and the Justice Department investigations were a small salve to their dignity and cooled their fury. Most of the time, the cops didn't go to jail, the policies of the departments were changed to reflect the Constitutional policing that should have been happening all the time. Now, that small salve is likely to be taken away, and the raw wounds will be left to fester.

No, I do not regret my vote for Trump. I believe this issue is important, but it was still not worth voting for Hillary. When people ask me what Obama did that I agreed with this always jumped to the front of my mind. Protecting the Civil Liberties of my fellow citizens, and by extension myself, is always right in my mind. Forcing compliance by the police departments to protect the citizenry is to my way of thinking, the bare minimum that should be done.

So one of my concerns about a Trump Presidency is coming to pass, and it will almost certainly add to the anger of police by many. Because now complaints filed with the Department of Justice for unconstitutional practices by police will come in by mail, and be dropped into the trash unread. The tens of thousands who experience unconstitutional violations by police are again left alone to endure, and with no recourse the anger towards police, and the willingness to act on that anger, increases.

There is no war on police right now. There will likely be one soon. When people demand that I speak out, or act to support the police, I will do as the Justice Department does for the victims of unconstitutional behavior by police. I will do nothing. I'll keep my membership in the ACLU active, since private organizations filing lawsuits to bankrupt cities, counties, and states who refuse to reign in corrupt police practices will be our last available peaceful action.

If only the Democrats had nominated someone worthy of our votes, someone who would do the right thing on trade, immigration, and protecting American workers. Someone who wasn't corrupt. I wouldn't be in this position, and I could feel confident that the Department of Justice was working towards Justice for the citizenry.
Hands up don't shoot! Yeah things that never happened!

I mentioned earlier that I had reasons to vote for, and against Hillary. One reason I had to vote for her, and I might add the only reason I had to vote for her, was the Department of Justice practice of policing the police.

During the Obama years the Department of Justice has aggressively investigated the police and identified many violations of Civil Rights, and strove to end those practices under what are called "Consent Decrees". These are little more than contracts signed by both parties, the government body overseeing the police, and the Department of Justice. These agreements say that the police will stop doing whatever it is that they are doing that is unconstitutional, and the DOJ won't prosecute anyone or fine the Police Departments that are engaged in these violations.

It's little more than a promise to respect Civil Rights, that would be the rights you and I have guaranteed to us under the Constitution. Now I expected that they would taper off, perhaps even end under a Trump administration. One of the issues I believe that the Republicans are generally speaking absolutely wrong about is their respect/support for authority in just about every case. Sure enough, Senator Sessions who is soon to be the Attorney General says that there won't be any more of those.

Activist use of ‘consent decrees’ to police law enforcement likely to end under Trump, Sessions

So what kind of activities were investigated and were so onerous that Senator Sessions soon to be Attorney General Sessions finds unreasonable burdens on our police? Well, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department was found to have one hundred policies, practices, and procedures that were unconstitutional. These included violations of the 4th Amendment regarding unconstitutional search and seizures of low income housing. In other words, the police would just enter the homes searching for any evidence they wanted to look for without a warrant or permission. The Sheriff's Department also planted evidence on individuals who were visiting relatives and friends in jail. The investigation into that led to several police officers including the Chief Deputy Sheriff to go to jail because they ordered a cover up. The Sheriff himself has been implicated, and reached a plea deal to plead guilty to a lower charge, but the Judge refused to allow the lessened jail sentence that had been agreed to, and the Sheriff withdrew his guilty plea.

So Attorney General Sessions believes that the cops are doing a great job, breaking into homes, and planting evidence on people the Deputies throw a beating on.

In Ferguson, the police were found to be violating civil rights regularly. One example of that pattern of misconduct was a man who was pulled over, and misidentified as a criminal wanted by the police. They beat the man, and even when his identity had been confirmed as an innocent guy, he was still charged with resisting arrest and destruction of public property. The uniforms of the police were ruined when he bled on the cops. Seriously, I sincerely wish I was making that up.

The nonexistent war on police may well become real in the near future. The people are tired of being abused, of having their rights trampled, and the Justice Department investigations were a small salve to their dignity and cooled their fury. Most of the time, the cops didn't go to jail, the policies of the departments were changed to reflect the Constitutional policing that should have been happening all the time. Now, that small salve is likely to be taken away, and the raw wounds will be left to fester.

No, I do not regret my vote for Trump. I believe this issue is important, but it was still not worth voting for Hillary. When people ask me what Obama did that I agreed with this always jumped to the front of my mind. Protecting the Civil Liberties of my fellow citizens, and by extension myself, is always right in my mind. Forcing compliance by the police departments to protect the citizenry is to my way of thinking, the bare minimum that should be done.

So one of my concerns about a Trump Presidency is coming to pass, and it will almost certainly add to the anger of police by many. Because now complaints filed with the Department of Justice for unconstitutional practices by police will come in by mail, and be dropped into the trash unread. The tens of thousands who experience unconstitutional violations by police are again left alone to endure, and with no recourse the anger towards police, and the willingness to act on that anger, increases.

There is no war on police right now. There will likely be one soon. When people demand that I speak out, or act to support the police, I will do as the Justice Department does for the victims of unconstitutional behavior by police. I will do nothing. I'll keep my membership in the ACLU active, since private organizations filing lawsuits to bankrupt cities, counties, and states who refuse to reign in corrupt police practices will be our last available peaceful action.

If only the Democrats had nominated someone worthy of our votes, someone who would do the right thing on trade, immigration, and protecting American workers. Someone who wasn't corrupt. I wouldn't be in this position, and I could feel confident that the Department of Justice was working towards Justice for the citizenry.

Must say I didn't read the entire OP in detail. But what I did read is interesting. The examples you site were in spite of what Obama was doing. The examples you site were in bastions of liberal ideology. Funny how that works.

Ah yes, the idea that police in conservative areas don't violate the Constitution or break the law. One of my favorites.

In Georgia, a solidly red state, half of the people killed by police were shot in the back, or unarmed at the time of their deaths.

OVER THE LINE: Police shootings in Georgia

So how is it Liberal ideology that exonerated the police in those shootings in the midst of solid secure red state Georgia?

The State Police investigated those shootings, State Police run by the Republican Governor, State Attorney General. Odd isn't it, that the Republicans being in charge didn't seem to prevent this highly questionable set of circumstances where half the people killed by police were shot in the back, and or unarmed at the time of their deaths. How afraid for your life can you be if the baddie is running away?

Well, I'm sure they were guilty of something and deserved to die. A cop in Georgia was just convicted of Murder, and sentenced to life in prison. He used his Taser like a cattle prod and the baddie died.

One of 2 ex-police officers found guilty of felony murder in Taser death of man

Those of us in Georgia are astonished. To say it is rare, that is an understatement.
When were you released for prison this last time?
What if the "baddie" is running towards a house full of soon to be hostages?
You ought to know by now, but you obviously don't that when a LEO gives you a command you obey their command.
If you are 'innocent' you can take it up with a judge later.
ONLY criminals 'run' from LEOs.

Sorry to disappoint but I've never been arrested much less convicted. I know you assume that anyone who doesn't drop to their knees and worship at the illusion of the police as valiant defenders or whatever is a crook. But sadly no in this case. I'm just an average guy who eschews injustice.

Taking up with the judge might work, if police didn't lie in about one case out of five. At least that is the results of the survey of judges, prosecutors and defense attorneys. They believe the police lie in 20% of the cases.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Hands up don't shoot biggest lie of the decade

It's always interesting to see how the media uses statistics to give credence to a story line that they are pushing. In this case 11 out of the 33 people who were shot and killed by the Police while being "unarmed" according to the media were said to be armed with a motor vehicle by the Police. The authors of your story however have decided that those armed with a voter vehicle (that one assumes was being driven AT Police?) does not count as armed even though our laws clearly establish that someone driving a vehicle AT Police are attempting to assault them with a deadly weapon. That's fully a third of the number of "unarmed" people shot.
I have to admit I see almost no reason to shoot at a vehicle. I doubt if they were intent on running over a cop that shooting them would make much of a difference. I certainly would not stand in front shooting hoping it would stop the vehicle in time.

When I was on council and was interviewing police applicants that is one question I would ask, when they would use their weapon. We had one officer shoot at a car that he said tried to run him over. This was after a traffic stop so the person was known there was no reason to shoot at the car.

One thing I learned, was a person needs to be real careful whom they give the power too. the police have a lot of power and giving it to a 20 year old can have unwanted consequences.

Every year Police officers are killed in the line of duty by people driving motor vehicles. As recent terror attacks obviously show...a car or truck can kill. You've totally lost me with your example of a traffic stop not being a reason to shoot at someone who tries to run over an officer. Yes, Police are given a lot of power. They are given that power because they are also given a lot of responsibility. They have to confront people who break the law. Here's a novel concept! When the Police pull you over...don't try to run them over with your car! Duh?

How is shooting at a vehicle going to stop that vehicle from running you over? The weapon that the police are given to DEFEND themselves or others. Shooting a vehicle is not defending yourself. Maybe it is justified in trying to stop a felon by shooting at THEM as they drive away. But a routine traffic stop resulting in a shooting, I don't think so.

You don't shoot at the vehicle...you shoot at the person DRIVING the vehicle and you shoot at them A LOT! Shooting a person trying to run you over with a couple thousand pounds of steel is the EPITOME of defending yourself!

And if someone is trying to run over a Police officer because they have been pulled over for a routine traffic stop...then it's obviously NOT routine anymore!

The nonexistent war on police?

Yes non existent, unlike the brutality and abuses of the police.

Does that mean that police are at war against the citizenry? It seems like the citizenry are suffering far more at the hands of police than the cops are at the hands of outraged citizens.

The last one shows a problem the cops who are undeniably under-trained to say the least. Poor fire discipline. They had no idea what target they were shooting at, they were just shooting all over the damned place.

So are the police at war with the citizenry? The cops have military equipment, MRAP vehicles armored against an RPG are just about standard in every police department. Automatic weapons, grenade launchers, supposedly only used for smoke. Honestly, the cops are better armed and equipped than most of the troops we had in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Why is it that when it comes to Police Misconduct, the only thing we count for the statistics is convictions. Yet for every other crime we count the report, not the conviction. If my car is stolen, and I report it. They don't wait to add it to the annual tally until someone is caught and convicted. They count it the second I report it. If my neighbor is murdered, the murder is counted the second it's discovered. If a police misconduct report is filed, it isn't counted unless there is no way they can sweep it under the rug. And they do sweep it under the rug regularly.

This one in my own state of Georgia is a good example. The cop phoned in a terrorist threat to a High School. Now if I had done that, going to prison isn't a question, the only question is would they ever let me out? But it was a cop, and they decided to play off as if he was joking when he threatened to send Anthrax to the school, and blow up the High School.

Officer appeals firing after profanity-laced traffic stop with teen

Now why didn't that misconduct get counted? Social Circle police officer fired

He threatened to blow up a High School, and not only was he not fired, but he wasn't charged with anything. That's what I mean when I say they cover up shit all the damned time.

So no, there is no war on police. The best I can say about the police is generally speaking, they are slightly less criminal than the people they are arresting. But that doesn't make them good.

As long as you stay out of trouble you have no reason to fear the police.

quote-you-have-nothing-to-fear-if-you-have-nothing-to-hide-joseph-goebbels-70-50-02.jpg

Does that mean that police are at war against the citizenry? It seems like the citizenry are suffering far more at the hands of police than the cops are at the hands of outraged citizens.

The last one shows a problem the cops who are undeniably under-trained to say the least. Poor fire discipline. They had no idea what target they were shooting at, they were just shooting all over the damned place.

So are the police at war with the citizenry? The cops have military equipment, MRAP vehicles armored against an RPG are just about standard in every police department. Automatic weapons, grenade launchers, supposedly only used for smoke. Honestly, the cops are better armed and equipped than most of the troops we had in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Why is it that when it comes to Police Misconduct, the only thing we count for the statistics is convictions. Yet for every other crime we count the report, not the conviction. If my car is stolen, and I report it. They don't wait to add it to the annual tally until someone is caught and convicted. They count it the second I report it. If my neighbor is murdered, the murder is counted the second it's discovered. If a police misconduct report is filed, it isn't counted unless there is no way they can sweep it under the rug. And they do sweep it under the rug regularly.

This one in my own state of Georgia is a good example. The cop phoned in a terrorist threat to a High School. Now if I had done that, going to prison isn't a question, the only question is would they ever let me out? But it was a cop, and they decided to play off as if he was joking when he threatened to send Anthrax to the school, and blow up the High School.

He threatened to blow up a High School, and not only was he not fired, but he wasn't charged with anything. That's what I mean when I say they cover up shit all the damned time.

So no, there is no war on police. The best I can say about the police is generally speaking, they are slightly less criminal than the people they are arresting. But that doesn't make them good.

Who do you call then when you need help?

Try following police instruction. Try not breaking the fucking law.

You ignoring THOSE FUCKING PEOPLE chanting for dead cops and then cops being killed on a weekly fucking basis is duly noted.

How many of the so called police brutality incidents were unjustified, or did you just list any and all violent actions police do as unjustifiable?

Oh, and just what the fuck you think was going to happen after THOSE FUCKING PEOPLE called for dead cops?

Take your poor black victim shit and shove it

Must say I didn't read the entire OP in detail. But what I did read is interesting. The examples you site were in spite of what Obama was doing. The examples you site were in bastions of liberal ideology. Funny how that works.

Ah yes, the idea that police in conservative areas don't violate the Constitution or break the law. One of my favorites.

In Georgia, a solidly red state, half of the people killed by police were shot in the back, or unarmed at the time of their deaths.

OVER THE LINE: Police shootings in Georgia

So how is it Liberal ideology that exonerated the police in those shootings in the midst of solid secure red state Georgia?

The State Police investigated those shootings, State Police run by the Republican Governor, State Attorney General. Odd isn't it, that the Republicans being in charge didn't seem to prevent this highly questionable set of circumstances where half the people killed by police were shot in the back, and or unarmed at the time of their deaths. How afraid for your life can you be if the baddie is running away?

Well, I'm sure they were guilty of something and deserved to die. A cop in Georgia was just convicted of Murder, and sentenced to life in prison. He used his Taser like a cattle prod and the baddie died.

One of 2 ex-police officers found guilty of felony murder in Taser death of man

Those of us in Georgia are astonished. To say it is rare, that is an understatement.
When were you released for prison this last time?
What if the "baddie" is running towards a house full of soon to be hostages?
You ought to know by now, but you obviously don't that when a LEO gives you a command you obey their command.
If you are 'innocent' you can take it up with a judge later.
ONLY criminals 'run' from LEOs.

Sorry to disappoint but I've never been arrested much less convicted. I know you assume that anyone who doesn't drop to their knees and worship at the illusion of the police as valiant defenders or whatever is a crook. But sadly no in this case. I'm just an average guy who eschews injustice.

Taking up with the judge might work, if police didn't lie in about one case out of five. At least that is the results of the survey of judges, prosecutors and defense attorneys. They believe the police lie in 20% of the cases.

Hands up don't shoot biggest lie of the decade

Glad to hear it.

Now if you could let the cops know they aren't doing it we can perhaps make it stop in reality as well as your imagination.

Try following police instruction. Try not breaking the fucking law.

You ignoring THOSE FUCKING PEOPLE chanting for dead cops and then cops being killed on a weekly fucking basis is duly noted.

How many of the so called police brutality incidents were unjustified, or did you just list any and all violent actions police do as unjustifiable?

Oh, and just what the fuck you think was going to happen after THOSE FUCKING PEOPLE called for dead cops?

Take your poor black victim shit and shove it

Curious. Several of the cops in the videos I posted, certainly not close to half were reprimanded or punished for brutality. The final video was a news report on the internal investigations into the police reaction to the Boston Marathon Bombing. The police themselves said weapons discipline was poor. So now the cops are anti cop in your strange book.

Note what ever you like. Don't pretend that it or you scare me. Oh you noted it. Does that mean it goes on my permanent record?

Most of those videos predate the BLM movement. Of course you would like to believe the cops are saints. I don't know if you are a cop, or a relative is one. Either you don't want to admit what you are doing or are afraid to consider what your relatives may be doing.

What did I denounce? The ending of the DOJ investigations into police departments. Most of the time those investigations are requested by the police or the political leadership in the cities. They have exposed unconstitutional practices and widespread corruption many times. Yet you are furious.

The police were lying in court before Mike Brown. The cops in Ferguson were violating the constitution before that happened. Now I don't get this. I swore an oath more than once to support and defend the constitution. That means all of it. Not just the parts I agree with.

Note that. Put it into my permanent record.

The left being liars have fomented hatred of police to encourage minorities to continue voting for Democrats. Democrats control all the cities where riots have broken out, they run the cities, the police departments, the courts jails and prisons. Yet they blame the right when we had nothing to do with problems in their Democrat run cesspools.

What a silly comment. More Fake Propaganda.
Yeah, like "Hands up! Don't shoot!".

I presume you've never heard of John Geer. He was a white guy shot while holding his hands up.

Ah...so the whole "Hands up...don't shoot!" narrative was about a white guy getting shot and not about Michael Brown in Ferguson? Who knew!!!!

Not to be overly blunt, Savannah...but you're pretty much full of shit on this entire topic!

I presume you've never heard of John Geer. He was a white guy shot while holding his hands up.

Ah...so the whole "Hands up...don't shoot!" narrative was about a white guy getting shot and not about Michael Brown in Ferguson? Who knew!!!!

Not to be overly blunt, Savannah...but you're pretty much full of shit on this entire topic!
Do either of you know about what you are discussing?

I was discussing the liberal media's narrative that the Police "target" unarmed blacks for assassination. What are you discussing, Jakey?

Yeah, That cops shoot thugs. It's a very old story and a particularly grim aspect of their jobs in protecting the public.

What were you talking about?

Show where I said that it was just the Black community that was abused or assaulted by police. You assumed that was my message, I never said it. I was told that Hands Up Don't Shoot didn't happen, I provided two confirmed examples of it happening. One White, one Black.

You are the fool, if you think that the community in Ferguson were furious over one death. They were and are angry at decades of police abuse and harassment, you know the information that was in the DOJ Investigation report. The information you want to ignore and focus on one incident.

You are the one who is completely full of shit. Go ahead, look in this thread, search the boards. I never said that the police abuse only blacks. You said it now, not me. Search the Internet from now to next Christmas, and you won't find me saying anything like that. Ever.

You are declaring victory when you don't even understand what I am saying. You are ignoring what I am writing, and instead filling in the blanks from your propaganda nonsense sources. You're standing alone on the field and saying you won, but nobody is there, the game is going on in another location. Dumbass.

I was discussing the liberal media's narrative that the Police "target" unarmed blacks for assassination. What are you discussing, Jakey?

I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about police abuses that should be investigated by the DOJ. I don't know what insane tangent you were on.

I see some fogginess has set in for you. Please discuss the DOJ investigations of police abuse.

Forum List

Back