One Democrats view on the wealth gap and its solution

JFK_USA

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
We see that the greatest disparity of wealth was right before the Great Depression. Everyone including republicans can see that. We have a country that is great, but we also need to make sense of the issues.

The Economy is everyone, from Crusader_Frank to rightwinger. Two people at different ends of the political spectrum but the same in the economy. I will spend money at Wal-mart meaning those workers will take home a paycheck and spend that money elsewhere to a sporting event or Sears and then Sears employees get paid and so on. That is usually how it works. Now obviously its complex in some situations but people need a common detominator for the economy survive and thrive: Money.

By saying we need to eliminate the minimum wage, unions shouldn't have the bargaining power to negiotate the wages they will be paid is ridiculous. People should have a fair and livable wage for jobs. This isn't about redistribution, but the disparity of incomes. The wealth is stuck at the top and they are not creating jobs. And not $7.25/hour jobs, real jobs that people can support families.

I remember when my dad in the early 1990s could go over the road as a trucker and my mom stayed home with a young JFK_USA. Then around 1995, my mom had to start working. They had a small business with the truck my dad as an independent contractor but then it wasn't enough to pay the bills so my mom gave up the stay at home gig and decided daycare was best. Now since then my parents have seen a decrease in their buying power and can't contribute to the economy like they use to.

I have been observing this for years. The quality of jobs are leaving America. Want to work on cars? Better go to the plant in Mexico and Canada. Want to work in technical support because you like computers? Better head to New Delhi, India. And the kicker is companies get a tax break for it.

We are all fearful, we are all afraid that we won't have a future. But taking away the purchasing power from 98% of the people is not the answer. We don't want a handout, we don't want the rich destroyed. We want a fair wage that someone without an education can provided for their family so they can get an education without thousands of dollars in debt in their own time. We don't need a huge quantity of minimum wages jobs, we need a huge quantity of quality jobs that a person in a tough neighborhood can make a great wage and save money to obtain the American Dream.

We are good people and we deserve to be paid fairly.

i work on narrowing my wealth gap six days a week, then worry and stress about it evenings and sundays.

Forum List

Back