Once stigmatized, food stamps find acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's funny to watch you people wrap yourselves up in the idea that children are starving as if foodstamps also solved hunger in Ethiopia. Indeed, that you can't peal yourselves off of the bleeding heart examples that NO ONE wants to restrict from (children) conveys just how dishonest you are willing to be about the cost and abuses of said programs.

again, liberal politics get beat up, and rightly so, because of this bumper sticker application of tax based drain. Hell, if a right winger acted like you about national defense you'd get busy letting them know how useless their rhetoric is. But, as long as there is a hypothetical starving child to hide behind and a complete unwillingness to remember that food stamp cost is not underwritten by god....

If we gave the poor flour, sugar, potatoes, etc most of them would starve.
Food preparation is a vanishing skill.

We are too lazy to even prepare our own food.

is that because the poor are incapable of cooking or because there is no necessity with all the frozen dinners available. I assure you, if poor Americans crawled from the depression then our modern poor can remember how to make biscuits from scratch.

is that because the poor are incapable of cooking or because there is no necessity with all the frozen dinners available. I assure you, if poor Americans crawled from the depression then our modern poor can remember how to make biscuits from scratch.

Most of the current generation of poor were never taught how to make biscuits from scratch.

Its not only the unemployed but the working poor who need food stamps. Rising costs for housing, energy and healthcare make it increasingly difficult for those earning less than $10 an hour to support a family.
Subsidising food is the least we can do

The grocery industry were the biggest lobbyists for the stamp redemption of the food.
A better less fraudulent way would be to have it mass packaged and delivered from the suppliers.

What ever happened to the days when people were embarrassed and dare i say ashamed to be on the dole?

Long gone, my friend.

For families with children, especially, there is never any need or call for shame, and whatever it takes to keep children fed and healthy, ab-so-fucking-lutely, and anyone that doesn't like it can can piss cocleburrs.

i disagree. being ashamed is not a bad thing in fact it can and should be a great motivator.

As for those who think others should be ashamed, I think it is funny, as I am sure that some of your family members are getting help you don't know about, and as for needing help, it was/is BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT THEY CANNOT GET HELP FROM THE FUCKIN' MISERS IN THE FAMILY, LIKE YOU, THAT YOU ARE QUITE CONTENT TO SEE CHILDREN AS WELL AS AGED OR DISABLED FAMILY GO HUNGRY!

And why would you be sure of that? personally i would go hungry before I went on the dole. I'd pick up shit for a penny a pile so i could feed my kids because i would be ashamed to take government assistance.

But hey that's just me.

☭proletarian☭;2001413 said:

Welcome to the entitlement generation. My parents lived through the depression era and my mom especially had it bad, but they never asked for government assistance. Instead, they found work wherever they could, gathered their own food (including hunting) and tightened their belts. People used to be ashamed of accepting charity. Now people believe it's a right. My how times have changed.

Most of the current generation of poor were never taught how to make biscuits from scratch.

I wasn't taught how to build computers either until I needed to learn to HAVE my first computer. I don't buy the idea that our modern poor can't make buscuts from scratch because Aunt Jemima never taught them at the age of 4. This is the age of the internet for Christs sake. If you want to learn our to make anything it's only a mouseclick away.

Its not only the unemployed but the working poor who need food stamps. Rising costs for housing, energy and healthcare make it increasingly difficult for those earning less than $10 an hour to support a family.
Subsidising food is the least we can do

and regulating the system to purge out abuse is the least we can do for those who foot the bill.

The grocery industry were the biggest lobbyists for the stamp redemption of the food.
A better less fraudulent way would be to have it mass packaged and delivered from the suppliers.

very true. which is why I suggest segregating food stamp products from chain store profits by making stamps usable only in neighborhood pantries and specialized outlets separate from locations where it's easy to abuse the system.

How many on food stamps have a 32 inch TV? Rims on their car? $80 sneakers? Fancy cell phone?
Sell those things and buy the food.
Many need stamps. Over age 18 with no disabilities= no food stamps. PERIOD.
Get a dam job. Join the military. Pick up cans on the side of the road. Go to the church kitchen pantry.
50% at least folks on food stamp do not have their priorities in order. Do excess cheese and meats and get a can vegetable pantry for the ones that need with community fresh vegetable gardens where these folks can work for their food.
Not my responsibility to be taxed to give folks food if they are adult and healthy. I give it as a donation and work there also at MUST ministries here. No one goes hungry.
Food stamp program is full of fraud.

Personally, I have never understood how our government can pay Farmers to NOT FARM for one reason or another, instead of letting them farm and buying their goods to feed the poor?

In Maine, Food stamps are not available for the poor that do not have children, other than Seniors. Is each state different?

I agree...The poor used to be known for their ability to take basic foodstuffs and turn them into a lowcost meal. Inexpensive cuts of meat, cornmeal, flour, rice could all be cooked into a meal for the family at low cost. Many of the poor today are incapable of cooking a meal that isn't pre-prepared.

But before we put all the blame on the poor.....most middle class and wealthy can no longer cook a basic meal without takeout.

Cooking is a lost art

I agree...The poor used to be known for their ability to take basic foodstuffs and turn them into a lowcost meal. Inexpensive cuts of meat, cornmeal, flour, rice could all be cooked into a meal for the family at low cost. Many of the poor today are incapable of cooking a meal that isn't pre-prepared.

But before we put all the blame on the poor.....most middle class and wealthy can no longer cook a basic meal without takeout.

Cooking is a lost art

Yep and many even raised gardens if only very small ones.
Another nearly lost art, even in rural KY where I live.

so much of our economy over the last few decades has been built on laziness and waste.
Production got more efficient and consumers got more inefficient.

Last edited:
Personally, I have never understood how our government can pay Farmers to NOT FARM for one reason or another, instead of letting them farm and buying their goods to feed the poor?
It's called a price support and it would be kind of stupid for the Government to prop up agricultural prices and then turn around and buy agricultural products at artificially high prices now wouldn't it? no the government has a better plan, they buy those agricultural products at HIGHER prices than the artificially high prices.

In Maine, Food stamps are not available for the poor that do not have children, other than Seniors. Is each state different?
Yes the types and amounts of welfare programs vary by state.

I disagree....the poor are very good at making something out of nothing when it comes to food....I have witnessed such with relatives on my husband's side that were part of the working poor.(but NOT on food stamps)

And there are MANY out there just like them.

Quick and easy cooking comes from the middle class, with both parents working.

When the woman was not required to work in order for the family unit to have enough to scrape by, she was at home...and had the time to take flour and make biscuits or pies and cakes or dumplings or pasta....or the daily bread.....or a 3 hour stew made out of nothing but the meat on the bones...and left overs.

I disagree....the poor are very good at making something out of nothing when it comes to food....I have witnessed such with relatives on my husband's side that were part of the working poor.

And there are MANY out there just like them.

Quick and easy cooking comes from the middle class, with both parents working.

When the woman was not required to work in order for the family unit to have enough to scrape by, she was at home...and had the time to take flour and make biscuits or pies and cakes or dumplings or pasta....or the daily bread.....or a 3 hour stew made out of nothing but the meat on the bones...and left overs.

Care I see what the people using "food Stamps" buy. Little of it is food that requires preparation.
Now there is a difference in the elderly on food stamps and the younger ones. The elderly buy basics to prepare. The younger ones do not.

My generation prepared food, the succeding ones not so much.

I haven't worked for a few years now....and because I do not work anymore, I am able to put a good meal on the table every night, fix matt's breakfast and pack him a solid lunch.

When I did work, it was take out or going out to eat, or delivery, with a home cooked meal just twice a week....we never made breakfast, got something to eat once we got to work, and we never made lunch, always went out together for lunch at a minimum of $20 bucks for the lunch each day including the waitress tip....

that's a little off point....but what I am trying to say, is there IS NO TIME for the working woman to cook and bake as she once did imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back