Once stigmatized, food stamps find acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not stigmatized today in fact they are a very direct and effective form of stimulus.

I have no problem with people using food stamps. I wish they wouldn't allow them to be used for things like soda, candy and bubble gum, but the rules aren't the recipient's fault and most people I've seen use them don't take advantage of it. I'd think a lot less of parents on layoff or who had some other misfortune that let their kids go without decent food out of pride. In bad times people have to do what they have to do, no shame in it.

Last edited:
I have no problem with people using food stamps. I wish they wouldn't allow them to be used for things like soda, candy and bubble gum, but the rules aren't the recipient's fault and most people I've seen use them don't take advantage of it. I'd think a lot less of parents on layoff or who had some other misfortune that let their kids go without decent food out of pride. In bad times people have to do what they have to do, no shame in it.

I agree. The woman in the article said she gets 147.00 a month. Certainly not enough to do excessive steak buying and throwing parties but it helps.

I agree. The woman in the article said she gets 147.00 a month. Certainly not enough to do excessive steak buying and throwing parties but it helps.

Not enough for steak and parties, but maybe enough to skip over the can of green beans, pack of ramen noodles and box of powdered mac and cheese for something with some actual nutritional value from time to time. I don't know about other states, but I've seen food stamps being used at the local farmer's market here too.

Couldn't agree more.

What ever happened to the days when people were embarrassed and dare i say ashamed to be on the dole?

What ever happened to the days when people were embarrassed and dare i say ashamed to be on the dole?

From what I can tell this is still the case with the vast majority of Americans much to the chagrin of the progressive nanny staters that would like to see being a dependent of the state become the "norm".

From what I can tell this is still the case with the vast majority of Americans much to the chagrin of the progressive nanny staters that would like to see being a dependent of the state become the "norm".

Really?

I see a lot of people crying for the government to come save them.

I am certainly the last person someone would call a supporter of Welfare. In fact, I would like to see it gone. Charities used to help with taking care of the poor but once the Govt got involved Welfare turned into the monster that it is today. Waste, fraud and abuse all over.

However. I wouldn't let anyone starve. The EBT card is something that I'm sure gets abused by many. But there are kids out there who have no say in the matter. Hell. I wouldnt' let a dog or cat starve, would I let a child. Nope. Just not me.

Really?

I see a lot of people crying for the government to come save them.

I understand what you're saying but personally I still believe that the vast majority of Americans are still self-reliant and want to earn their own keep, maybe I'm just naive on this point but I find it hard to accept that the American Spirit of Self-Reliance is dead.

When you have generations of the same family on the public dole, there is something wrong with the system. While I do believe that there are cases in which public assistance is a good thing, I believe the vast majority of it is taken for granted. "Somebody will take care of me!" has become the norm in this country. Very few people who collect public assistance are ashamed to be doing so. I personally know a young, unmarried woman who was quite gleeful when she became pregnant out of wedlock and proclaimed to everybody that now she could get Medicade, a WIC account and would qualify for food stamps when the baby was born. I think that's a pretty sad thing and it is very typical of a good many people on welfare.

I am certainly the last person someone would call a supporter of Welfare. In fact, I would like to see it gone. Charities used to help with taking care of the poor but once the Govt got involved Welfare turned into the monster that it is today. Waste, fraud and abuse all over.

However. I wouldn't let anyone starve. The EBT card is something that I'm sure gets abused by many. But there are kids out there who have no say in the matter. Hell. I wouldnt' let a dog or cat starve, would I let a child. Nope. Just not me.
Of course not.

My wife once was in a position to have to take food stamps. She told Me how she sat right there at the desk of the social worker, crying while the social worker told her that it was no big deal.

But it ate at her so badly that she was off the assistance within three months. And do you know that she had to spend two weeks fighting the state to get taken off the program? They were not going to let her off of it.

I know a woman who refuses to get a job and is actively looking for a man to impregnate her for the SOLE reason that she wants more food stamps and a larger housing note. On one hand, I'm glad we live in a nation where our poorest are fed. On the other, I'd not only make drug tests a requirement for public assistance but i'd segregate food stamps out of chain stores and make them spendable only at local pantries that stock generic foods and basic sustenance. I've literally seen people sell their 400+ dollars of food stamps per month at 50 cents on the dollar. People walking out of the store with 3 heaping carts full of shit that is sold away in the parking lot for liquid cash. With a segregated neighborhood food stamp store, not only could the program retain control over who gets what but there would be a control over how they are spent. This is not free money. It comes from somewhere. And, before you bleeding heart liberals start throwing cabbage my way perhaps you should figure out how your family budget could possibly work if I came along and ordered lobster on your dime on meatlaof night. This cannot be about blank check compassion in which the ends, YOU THINK, justify the means. Indeed, it's issues like this that becomes the greatest albatross for left wing politics.

and, just so you know...

Mo. bill ties drug testing to welfare - STLtoday.com

it's the SHOW ME state, motherfuckas!

Last edited:

Long gone, my friend.

For families with children, especially, there is never any need or call for shame, and whatever it takes to keep children fed and healthy, ab-so-fucking-lutely, and anyone that doesn't like it can can piss cockleburrs.

As for those who think others should be ashamed, I think it is funny, as I am sure that some of your family members are getting help you don't know about, and as for needing help, it was/is BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT THEY CANNOT GET HELP FROM THE FUCKIN' MISERS IN THE FAMILY, LIKE YOU, THAT YOU ARE QUITE CONTENT TO SEE CHILDREN AS WELL AS AGED OR DISABLED FAMILY GO HUNGRY!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back