Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

another tax on those evil poor?

good!, hit 'em in the wallet, and maybe they'll quit breeding like flies!

A VAT is a tax on the transfer of goods and services that ultimately is borne by the consumer. Highly visible, it would increase the cost of just about everything, from a carton of eggs to a visit with a lawyer. It is also hugely regressive, falling heavily on the poor. But VAT advocates say those negatives could be offset by using the proceeds to pay for health care for every American -- a tangible benefit that would be highly valuable to low-income families.

There will be no jobs and higher taxes, but you will get health care!

WOW! Unbelievable... I guess the whole "95% of people will not see there taxes go up" may be thrown out the window... Big Surprise there.

When will Obama feel that the people have been taxed enough????

Let's hope this doesn't happen.

A nationwide VAT tax? :eek: What are they trying to do, grow the Tea Party movement to include the entire nation? :lol:

WOW! Unbelievable... I guess the whole "95% of people will not see there taxes go up" may be thrown out the window... Big Surprise there.

But advocates say few other options can generate the kind of money the nation will need to avert fiscal calamity.

No, no, no, no, no. FUCK no. VAT is 17.5% in the UK. Paying that shit is the most galling experience you can imagine.

I've got another option. Stop spending so much fucking money if there is a need to "avert fiscal calamity". If VAT is introduced it will kill any economic recovery outright and instantly.

No, no, no.

But advocates say few other options can generate the kind of money the nation will need to avert fiscal calamity.

No, no, no, no, no. FUCK no. VAT is 17.5% in the UK. Paying that shit is the most galling experience you can imagine.

I've got another option. Stop spending so much fucking money if there is a need to "avert fiscal calamity". If VAT is introduced it will kill any economic recovery outright and instantly.

No, no, no.

Amen brother... Stop Spending!!!! We wouldn't need all of these taxes if we wouldn't have blown so much money that hasn't done squat for our economy!

A VAT is a tax on the transfer of goods and services that ultimately is borne by the consumer. Highly visible, it would increase the cost of just about everything, from a carton of eggs to a visit with a lawyer. It is also hugely regressive, falling heavily on the poor. But VAT advocates say those negatives could be offset by using the proceeds to pay for health care for every American -- a tangible benefit that would be highly valuable to low-income families.

There will be no jobs and higher taxes, but you will get the opportunity to have a bureaucrat determine what health care you get !

Good post, but I couldn't resist enhancing that last comment to include the most likely of scenarios the majority will find themselves in under a nationalized health care system.

I wonder if the decision makers will have a screen that has medical history on one side and taxpayer history on the other? That might help to expedite the decision process! :eek:

Interesting comments, all. I'm particularly struck by the impact on ALL after so much ephasis was put on that "no increase for 95% of Americans". Rhetoric, again.

No, no, no.

This Presidency is one big nightmare. We'll be the Fourth Reich before we can get this fascist idiot out of office.

No, no, no.

This Presidency is one big nightmare. We'll be the Fourth Reich before we can get this fascist idiot out of office.

Good observation...:clap2:

I thought you conservatives were all in favor of consumption taxes. Have I been misinformed?
If you scrap the income taxes, but to tax income then impose a consumption tax is double taxation and a completely different situation.

I thought you conservatives were all in favor of consumption taxes. Have I been misinformed?
If you scrap the income taxes, but to tax income then impose a consumption tax is double taxation and a completely different situation.

Since we both know that spending isn't going down, the choice is more taxes or more debt. And more debt just means more taxes later. So... would you rather see your income tax go up or would you rather see a consumption tax?

Since we both know that spending isn't going down, the choice is more taxes or more debt. And more debt just means more taxes later. So... would you rather see your income tax go up or would you rather see a consumption tax?

That's the crux of the argument that spending should be reduced. I agree though debt is later taxation, hence why this is even more absurd. Higher taxes now and later...

That's the crux of the argument that spending should be reduced. I agree though debt is later taxation, hence why this is even more absurd. Higher taxes now and later...

It's not really much of an argument. I'd love to take a hatchet to the federal budget too, but like I said, we both know thats not going to happen. So if you have to swallow either higher income taxes or a consumption tax, which would you choose?

It's not really much of an argument. I'd love to take a hatchet to the federal budget too, but like I said, we both know thats not going to happen. So if you have to swallow either higher income taxes or a consumption tax, which would you choose?

Income taxes to be honest. The reason being, if the federal government starts a whole new form of taxation. They will have another means of squeezing the ever living shit out of me by raising that rate also.

Income taxes to be honest. The reason being, if the federal government starts a whole new form of taxation. They will have another means of squeezing the ever living shit out of me by raising that rate also.

Good answer

Good answer

Thanks

Good answer

So, you're okay with some of the people contributing to the cost of government spending via taxes while others do not? Hmmm.... Those would be the people that are beneficiaries of the cost of government spending, yes?

Not necessarily saying this is a good thing, but there certainly is no current sharing of the burden. And as for the "95% of all Americans" you asked about:

Obama Highlights Tax Breaks | 44 | washingtonpost.com

Forum List

Back