Once, ask again. Twice, re-word and ask again. Three times? Start a poll.

Is the tax code fair?

• Yes. The tax code in this country is basically fair.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No. The tax code is unfair.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I can't answer without looking stupid.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
:eusa_think: How the HELL does one get conservatives on this board to answer a simple yes or no question without sounding like a bunch of seven term senators at a lobbyist luncheon?!?

Obviously most Conservatives believe that the poor are not paying their own fair share of the tax burden in this country, so let's leave them out of the equation.

That being said, do you (America's Conservatives) believe that the super wealthy, who pay about 16% of their incomes in taxes, and the middle class, who fork over an average of around 32% of their incomes, are both paying a fair share of the money that must be collected to keep this country running?

Remember... how efficiently the country is running and what the money is being spent on, while very valid questions, are different questions.​

Frustration from a thread: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/146106-shrink-the-rich-not-government-16.html#post3096852

If we had something else, we would not vote for what we now have.

Does this income tax apply to every time property changes hands (eg, distribution and wholesale levels), or exclusively at the final retail sale?

A damn good question. What do you think the majority of Americans would want? Are you prepared to meet me in D.C. to sit down over a couple of beers and work out the details on behalf of our friends, neighbors and countrymen?

:eusa_think: Do you think this is how the Founding Fathers felt? We could even bring The T along to be Thomas Jefferson. Once we lighten him up and instill a smidgen of hope via that elixir of harmony in America we call alcohol, I'd bet he's actually kind of fun.
What the masses might wish at any given time is but one consideration

And why do we care what might have been thought by men who never lived to see this world?

Because 3 out of 20 American Citizens still know their names and something about their lives and it's more intellectually stimulating than masturbation?

:eusa_think: How the HELL does one get conservatives on this board to answer a simple yes or no question without sounding like a bunch of seven term senators at a lobbyist luncheon?!?

Obviously most Conservatives believe that the poor are not paying their own fair share of the tax burden in this country, so let's leave them out of the equation.

That being said, do you (America's Conservatives) believe that the super wealthy, who pay about 16% of their incomes in taxes, and the middle class, who fork over an average of around 32% of their incomes, are both paying a fair share of the money that must be collected to keep this country running?

Remember... how efficiently the country is running and what the money is being spent on, while very valid questions, are different questions.​

Frustration from a thread: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/146106-shrink-the-rich-not-government-16.html#post3096852

If we had something else, we would not vote for what we now have.

That makes sense, but I don't know why... :eusa_think:

Kind of scary!

A damn good question. What do you think the majority of Americans would want? Are you prepared to meet me in D.C. to sit down over a couple of beers and work out the details on behalf of our friends, neighbors and countrymen?

:eusa_think: Do you think this is how the Founding Fathers felt? We could even bring The T along to be Thomas Jefferson. Once we lighten him up and instill a smidgen of hope via that elixir of harmony in America we call alcohol, I'd bet he's actually kind of fun.

And why do we care what might have been thought by men who never lived to see this world?

Because 3 out of 20 American Citizens still know their names and something about their lives and it's more intellectually stimulating than masturbation?

They also know who Hitler was. That doesn't mean we should give half a shit what he'd think about anything.

Now ask yourself.. what would Ghengis Kahn think?

They also know who Hitler was. That doesn't mean we should give half a shit what he'd think about anything.

I'm pretty sure that fucker would be thinking about masturbation.

Why shouldnt we care about what Hitler thought?

Seems to me you want to know the mindset of such people to avoid the same perils they took.

Likewise, our Founders established a limited government that allowed individuals freedom. It seems that if we likewise want to restore our Republic to those ideals, we would look to those that gave them to us to begin with.

Those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Why shouldnt we care about what Hitler thought?

Seems to me you want to know the mindset of such people to avoid the same perils they took.

Likewise, our Founders established a limited government that allowed individuals freedom.

tell it to the slaves
It seems that if we likewise want to restore our Republic to those ideals, we would look to those that gave them to us to begin with.
Why would I want to return to the ideals of slavekeepers?
Those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
And here you are wanting to repeat it

Demanding a starving man to give as a rich man does is fair?

Can you find me a starving man who works?

There are 40,000,000 Americans on food stamps.

Those people work for a living, but they obviously are not getting a living wage.

They are not starving because of food stamps.

Now do you really think that they ought to be paying the same rate of taxes as people who make over a billion dollars a year?

If you do, then you ideology is getting in the way of you getting firm handle on reality.

They already do not make enough to eat, so expecting them to pay taxes is absurd.

Last edited:

First why are we spending so much and why are they looking for US to give up more for them to waste.?
Its not so much where we are going to get the funds to continually spend beyond our budget ... fix the fucking spending problem!!
Left right it makes no difference they feel obligated to "payback" those who donated to "their future" which happen to be the rich while the entitlement fucks get it all for free and the middle class ... Bend Over

First why are we spending so much and why are they looking for US to give up more for them to waste.?
Its not so much where we are going to get the funds to continually spend beyond our budget ... fix the fucking spending problem!!
Left right it makes no difference they feel obligated to "payback" those who donated to "their future" which happen to be the rich while the entitlement fucks get it all for free and the middle class ... Bend Over

I said from the beginning... this thread is about fairness or lack there of in the tax code. Stupid spending, while a valid concern, is the subject of other threads.

The tax code is not uniform so therefore it is unfair.
Concise enough ;)

And if you want short replies leave out the bullshit you threw in to fire people up ;).

I agree. Let EVERYBODY pay 16%. and that means EVERYBODY. Then if we still have a deficit we'll see. Everybody wants and uses stuff the gov. provides so everybody needs to pay.

Is it that the poor are not paying their share, or that the rich should be paying what the poor do? Maybe we have this all wrong here. Everyone should pay exactly what the poor can afford to pay. That will lower everybodies taxes, and shut down services and programs in America. When the rich whine for their treats, Congress can say they are sorry, but the poor cannot afford them. So if you want your treats you better raise the standard of living for the poor first, so they can be taxed more.

That certainly would be an interesting dynamic and a hell of an incentive to do privately what government cannot/should not do.

When you start off lying, why should I bother being reasonable in return?

Bar Stool Economics

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten
comes to $100 and If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it
would go something
like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7.
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the
arrangement, until one day, the
owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he
said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of
your daily beer by $20." so drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes, so the
first four men were unaffected...They
would still drink for free...But what about the other six men - the
paying customers? How could they divide
the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'...They
realized that $20 divided by six is
$3.33...But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the
fifth man and the sixth man would each
end up being paid to drink his beer..So, the bar owner suggested that it
would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and
he proceeded to
work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:
The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing
(100% savings).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).

The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before...And the first four continued
to drink for free...But once outside the restaurant, the men began to
compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20,"declared the sixth man. He pointed
to the tenth man," but he got $10!" "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the
fifth man.
"I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than
I!" "That's true!!" shouted the
seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy
get all the breaks!" "Wait a minute,"
yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The
system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat
down and had beers without him. But
when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important.
They didn't have enough money between all
of them for even half of the bill!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is
how our tax system works. The people
who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax
them too much, attack them for
being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore.
In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the
atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics
University of Georgia

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is
possible.

A little chain email humor. Shame it's to close to reality to be all that funny.

Bar Stool Economics...

<snip for the sake of brevity>

A little chain email humor. Shame it's to close to reality to be all that funny.

Blah and Yadda.

Seen it all before.

Makes valid points via the use of parables.

Does NOT answer the question:

Do YOU think the current tax code in America is fair and/or efficient?

Bar Stool Economics...

Blah and Yadda.

Seen it all before.

I did, and I voted no.

Any system that allows me to profit doing my taxes is unfair to the rest of my fellow Americans.

a graded system is utter bs that is used to feed petty needs for revenge. "We gots ta fuck tha rich cuz dey makes all da muny." is weak. And anyone that supports fucking over one group or another is weak.

It's classism, and should be against the law.

Bar Stool Economics...

Blah and Yadda.

Seen it all before.

Now THAT is a question I can answer. As I am no longer in elementary school, I do not believe the word "fair" has any real meaning whatsoever, and never use it. Is it efficient? In the sense that it does the job it's meant to do - collecting taxes to pay for government - yes.

If what you were going for was "Is it a good system?", however, the answer would be no.

I think it's fair. And I also think the tax code is screwed up. With 9000+ pages of rules and regulations how could it not be? We should abolish it and go with a fair or flat tax system, anything but the status quo.

The reason you don't get a straight answer is because of an apparent disagreement as to the definition of the word 'fair'.

That said, based on MY definition of fair I have to answer no. The tax code is currently not fair.

Forum List

Back