Once Again, Skeptics do the Math that Warmists Won't Do....

So tell me, SSDDster, have yhou ever studied the laws of thermodynamics, and if so, did you actually understand them? I ask because after reading the above - damn.

By that question, I wonder the same about you. If you believe that CO2 absorbs LW radiation and emits a photon, you must also believe that there is some energy loss. Do you believe there can be energy loss without changing the frequency and wavelength of the emitted energy?...and do you believe that CO2 can absorb energy outside of its absorption bands just because that energy was emitted by another CO2 molecule?

[

Epic fail. Retarded

I suggest you read bullybobs post above...try to grasp the reality and stop believing in magic. Do you really believe that energy absorbed and emitted will not always be emitted at a shorter wavelength?...or is it just energy absorbed and emitted by the magical CO2 molecule that can defy the laws of physics?

By the way, I see that toddster agrees with you...maybe you should set him straight. You know full well that energy absorbed by a molecule is emitted at a longer wavelength and now you are leading toddster to believe something that simply isn't true. If you are to proud to do it in public, at least send him a private message.

Last edited:
So tell me, SSDDster, have yhou ever studied the laws of thermodynamics, and if so, did you actually understand them? I ask because after reading the above - damn.

By that question, I wonder the same about you. If you believe that CO2 absorbs LW radiation and emits a photon, you must also believe that there is some energy loss. Do you believe there can be energy loss without changing the frequency and wavelength of the emitted energy?...and do you believe that CO2 can absorb energy outside of its absorption bands just because that energy was emitted by another CO2 molecule?

The issue isn't what I believe. The issue is your lack of understanding of basic thermodynamics. Take a class.

[

Epic fail. Retarded

I suggest you read bullybobs post above...try to grasp the reality and stop believing in magic. Do you really believe that energy absorbed and emitted will not always be emitted at a shorter wavelength?...or is it just energy absorbed and emitted by the magical CO2 molecule that can defy the laws of physics?

The issue isn't what I believe. The issue is your lack of understanding of basic thermodynamics. Take a class.

Clearly, I have a better grasp than you since you seem to believe that absorbed energy is not emitted at a longer wavelength and that magical CO2 molecules can absorb energy from another CO2 molecule even if it is not within their absorption bands. We are obviously talking about your beliefs since it is a well known fact that when energy is absorbed and emitted, it is emitted at a longer wavelength. It must also be your belief that magical CO2 molecules can absorb energy outside their absorption bands if that energy is from another CO2 molecule since the fact is that they can't.

[

Epic fail. Retarded

Clearly, I have a better grasp than you since you seem to believe that absorbed energy is not emitted at a longer wavelength and that magical CO2 molecules can absorb energy from another CO2 molecule even if it is not within their absorption bands. We are obviously talking about your beliefs since it is a well known fact that when energy is absorbed and emitted, it is emitted at a longer wavelength. It must also be your belief that magical CO2 molecules can absorb energy outside their absorption bands if that energy is from another CO2 molecule since the fact is that they can't.

You don't know what I believe because I have not told you what that is. On the other hand, you have made clear to all of us what you believe, and, frankly, it would be very sad if it wasn't so funny. What is the 1st law of thermodynamic, dude?

Conservation of energy, dude. Energy is not lost, only transformed. You have repeatedly said that the energy is lost in the process. Since you believe that to be the case, you clearly have no understanding of the laws of thermodynamics and should take your ball and go home, silly boy.

absorption = emission. the whole point of QM is that there are fixed possibilities in the atom. the electrons exist in one orbital or another, they dont travel to the next orbital they just are where they are. there is no consumption of energy inside the atom. where would it go?

on the other hand, there is an increase in entropy. the momentum transferred by emission in the first molecule to the absorption in the second molecule drives both molecules away from each other. there is no perpetual motion machine even though the energy transfers inside theatom are cost free.

Of course CO2 absorbs infrared....but for you, that is where science stops....CO2 also emits that infrared...it doesn't warm up...and it emits at a wavelength that can not be absorbed by another CO2 molecule....it has no power to cause warming...it is magical thinking to believe that CO2 causes any warming at all beyond its contribution to the mass of the atmosphere... Simple absorption and emission do not equal warming although the entire hoax is based on an assumption that it does...an assumption with zero empirical evidence for support.

Of course CO2 absorbs infrared....but for you, that is where science stops....CO2 also emits that infrared...it doesn't warm up...and it emits at a wavelength that can not be absorbed by another CO2 molecule....

That's an interesting claim. CO2 emits a wavelength that another CO2 cannot absorb. Link?

You think no energy is lost with the emission of a photon? You think the energy is absorbed by the molecule, a photon is emitted, and no energy is lost in the process?

If any energy is lost, then the emitting wavelength must be somewhat longer and since CO2 has such a narrow absorption band, any change at all would result in the energy being emitted at a wavelength that could not be absorbed by another CO2 molecule.

So tell me toddster, do you really think no energy whatsoever is lost? You really don't get this stuff do you? You believe in the magic, spew a few talking points but don't actually grasp any of it do you?

You think no energy is lost with the emission of a photon?

That is correct. When an electron absorbs a photon and gains 10 eV, no energy is lost when it then emits a photon of 10 eV. Because energy is conserved.

You think the energy is absorbed by the molecule, a photon is emitted, and no energy is lost in the process?

You think when a CO2 molecule gains 10 eV from a single photon, it can emit a single 9 eV photon and lose 1 eV, just because?

So tell me toddster, do you really think no energy whatsoever is lost?

So tell me SSDD, how does this energy magically get lost in your scenario?

All things with a temperature above absolute zero emit radiation. Everything, your body, your desk, your house, grass, snow, the atmosphere, the moon, they all emit a wide range of radiation. The source of this electromagnetic radiation are vibrating electrons that exist in every atom that makes an object.

Emitted radiation can be:

• Absorbed

• Increasing the internal energy of the gas molecules.
  • Reflected

• Radiation is not absorbed or emitted from an object but it reaches the object and is sent backward. The Albedo represents the reflectivity of an object and describes the percentage of light that is went back.
  • Scattered

• Scattered light is deflected in all directions, forward, backward, sideways. It is also called diffused light.
  • Transmitted

• Radiation not absorbed, reflected, or scattered by a gas, the radiation passes through the gas unchanged.
The temperature of an object can tell us something about the emitted radiation.

• The Stefan-Boltzmann law tells us that as the temperature of an object increases, more radiation is emitted each second.

• E = σT4
      where σ is a constant, T is the temperature of an object in Kelvin and E is the maximum rate of radiation emitted per meter2.
  • Wien's law describes the maximum wavelength that an object emits based on it's temperature.

• λmax = θ/T
    • where λmax is the wavelength in micrometers (μm) at which the maximum radiation emission occurs, θ is a constant equal to 2897 μm K, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

So lets review. Any molecule which absorbs energy from an incoming photon or other exciting item, which creates heat within the molecule looses the rate at which it was vibrating on entry and vibrates at the rate of the molecules heat which then emits it. The reduction in amplitude and speed (heat output) is the deciding factor in the new wavelength.

In any energy transfer there is loss.

Source

As energy passes through CO2 the wavelength changes to a length that CO2 can not reabsorb.

Last edited:
All things with a temperature above absolute zero emit radiation. Everything, your body, your desk, your house, grass, snow, the atmosphere, the moon, they all emit a wide range of radiation. The source of this electromagnetic radiation are vibrating electrons that exist in every atom that makes an object.

• Absorbed

• Reflected

• Radiation is not absorbed or emitted from an object but it reaches the object and is sent backward. The Albedo represents the reflectivity of an object and describes the percentage of light that is went back.
  • Scattered

• Scattered light is deflected in all directions, forward, backward, sideways. It is also called diffused light.
  • Transmitted

• Radiation not absorbed, reflected, or scattered by a gas, the radiation passes through the gas unchanged.

• The Stefan-Boltzmann law tells us that as the temperature of an object increases, more radiation is emitted each second.

• E = σT4
      where σ is a constant, T is the temperature of an object in Kelvin and E is the maximum rate of radiation emitted per meter2.
  • Wien's law describes the maximum wavelength that an object emits based on it's temperature.

• λmax = θ/T
    • where λmax is the wavelength in micrometers (μm) at which the maximum radiation emission occurs, θ is a constant equal to 2897 μm K, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

uiQd513.jpg

• Absorbed

• Reflected

• Scattered

• Transmitted

• E = σT4

• λmax = θ/T

SSDD disagrees.

• Absorbed

• Reflected

• Scattered

• Transmitted

• E = σT4

• λmax = θ/T

uiQd513.jpg

Yes I know... And I wast finished before i got interrupted..

Last edited:

• Absorbed

• Reflected

• Scattered

• Transmitted

• E = σT4

• λmax = θ/T

SSDD disagrees.

I could be wrong, but as I see it everyone is using terminology differently and it means different things to different people. I'm not so hung up on the terms as i am the actions of energy. In all energy transfers there is loss. Very few things transmit energy without loss, especially Solar radiated heat energy.

• Absorbed

• Reflected

• Scattered

• Transmitted

• E = σT4

• λmax = θ/T

So lets review. Any molecule which absorbs energy from an incoming photon or other exciting item, which creates heat within the molecule looses the rate at which it was vibrating on entry and vibrates at the rate of the molecules heat which then emits it. The reduction in amplitude and speed (heat output) is the deciding factor in the new wavelength.

In any energy transfer there is loss.

Source

As energy passes through CO2 the wavelength changes to a length that CO2 can not reabsorb.

It is difficult to talk to people who believe in magic...even if they believe the magic is relatively weak.

• Absorbed

• Reflected

• Scattered

• Transmitted

• E = σT4

• λmax = θ/T

SSDD disagrees.

I could be wrong, but as I see it everyone is using terminology differently and it means different things to different people. I'm not so hung up on the terms as i am the actions of energy. In all energy transfers there is loss. Very few things transmit energy without loss, especially Solar radiated heat energy.

Toddster thinks that because a thing radiates, that everything else must absorb that radiation irregardless of whether that radiation will move to a state of greater or lesser entropy. According to him, frequencies and wavelengths are just so much mumbo jumbo....the object radiates and everything else in the universe is obliged to absorb the radiation....period.

• Absorbed

• Reflected

• Scattered

• Transmitted

• E = σT4

• λmax = θ/T

SSDD disagrees.

Toddster thinks that because a thing radiates, that everything else must absorb that radiation irregardless of whether that radiation will move to a state of greater or lesser entropy. According to him, frequencies and wavelengths are just so much mumbo jumbo....the object radiates and everything else in the universe is obliged to absorb the radiation....period.

Toddster thinks that because a thing radiates, it doesn't suddenly stop radiating, when a warmer object is nearby.

• Absorbed

• Reflected

• Scattered

• Transmitted

• E = σT4

• λmax = θ/T

SSDD disagrees.

I could be wrong, but as I see it everyone is using terminology differently

SSDD is using the terminology incorrectly. And then needs to go off on convoluted tangents, to defend his initial errors.
It's amusing.....and sad.

SSDD is using the terminology incorrectly. And then needs to go off on convoluted tangents, to defend his initial errors.

You get more like mammoth every day...are you one of her socks? Blame the opponent for exactly what you do....poor strategy. So you believe energy transfer happens with no energy loss whatsoever huh? Tell me, how does that work? Give me a good explanation and there is most certainly a working perpetual motion machine in it...we can split the bazillions we will make off of it.

You get more like mammoth every day...are you one of her socks? Blame the opponent for exactly what you do....poor strategy. So you believe energy transfer happens with no energy loss whatsoever huh? Tell me, how does that work? Give me a good explanation and there is most certainly a working perpetual motion machine in it...we can split the bazillions we will make off of it.

You think no energy is lost with the emission of a photon?

That is correct. When an electron absorbs a photon and gains 10 eV, no energy is lost when it then emits a photon of 10 eV. Because energy is conserved.

You think the energy is absorbed by the molecule, a photon is emitted, and no energy is lost in the process?

You think when a CO2 molecule gains 10 eV from a single photon, it can emit a single 9 eV photon and lose 1 eV, just because?

So tell me toddster, do you really think no energy whatsoever is lost?

So tell me SSDD, how does this energy magically get lost in your scenario?

SSDD thinks the rules that govern macroscopic systems also govern the inner workings of atoms. QM was discovered exactly because it was necessary to get around the ultraviolet catastrophe and to explain why electrons didn't decay and fall into the nucleus.

SSDD thinks the rules that govern macroscopic systems also govern the inner workings of atoms. QM was discovered exactly because it was necessary to get around the ultraviolet catastrophe and to explain why electrons didn't decay and fall into the nucleus.
QM wasn't discovered ian...it is a series of ad hoc constructs devised to try and explain things that were unexplainable... There have been no discoveries...there have been theories posited which seem to explain phenomena....till they don't at which time new theories are posited.

Forum List

Back