Once again bullying was the root cause

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
But the nation will hold vigils and marches denouncing assault rifles, semi-auto pistols, all guns, Dimocrat politicians will make speeches and write new gun laws and proclaim the NRA a terrorist group.

But there won't be marches or speeches denouncing the root cause of why a fellow student goes off the deep end.

Santa Fe High School student claims students and coaches 'emotionally bullied' suspected shooter

[
Santa Fe High School student claims students and coaches 'emotionally bullied' suspected shooter

• A student who survived the Texas school shooting on Friday has spoken out about the accused gunman, saying that he was 'emotionally bullied' by his classmates and coaches.

Dustin Severin, an 11th-grade student at Santa Fe High School, told KRIV that the suspected shooter, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtiz, was constantly teased at school, but that he believed it never escalated into anything physical.

"I know he's picked on by coaches and other students. He didn't really talk to anyone," he told the station. "My friends from the football team told me that coaches said he smelled, like, right in front of his face. And other kids would look at him and laugh at him ... nothing like physical but they still emotionally bullied him."

"I never thought he would just snap and shoot up the school," Severin added. "He didn't seem like he was a hateful person."
/QUOTE]

Last edited:
  • Banned
Um, no, the root cause was he was able to get guns and shoot people.

Project1.png

Hmmm, you must be lying again. I was bullied a lot in school and my dad had lots of guns. Not locked up. according to your bullshit statement i should have murdered my classmates.

But the nation will hold vigils and marches denouncing assault rifles, semi-auto pistols, all guns, Dimocrat politicians will make speeches and write new gun laws and proclaim the NRA a terrorist group.

But there won't be marches or speeches denouncing the root cause of why a fellow student goes off the deep end.

No, the root problem is that a person made the choice to commit murder. It is a serious defect of much of our modern culture, that we try to put the blame for bad behavior anywhere but on the person engaging in it.

When I was young, I was rather heavily subjected to treatment that, in today's cowardly terms, is characterized as “bullying”. It wasn't called that back then; in that time, bullying necessarily involved physical violence, or at least credible threats thereof, not mere name-calling. My generation learned that “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.”

And I have guns.

Believe me, if “bullying” (in the cowardly, shameful, modern usage of the term) was the cause of murder, if having access to guns was the cause of murder, I'd have murdered someone by now. I haven't. I've never even credibly considered doing so.

No, the root problem is that a person made the choice to commit murder. It is a serious defect of much of our modern culture, that we try to put the blame for bad behavior anywhere but on the person engaging in it.

When I was young, I was rather heavily subjected to treatment that, in today's cowardly terms, is characterized as “bullying”. It wasn't called that back then; in that time, bullying necessarily involved physical violence, or at least credible threats thereof, not mere name-calling. My generation learned that “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.”

And I have guns.

Believe me, if “bullying” (in the cowardly, shameful, modern usage of the term) was the cause of murder, if having access to guns was the cause of murder, I'd have murdered someone by now. I haven't. I've never even credibly considered doing so.

Ok, you make a good point, and I too blame this kid for all of this. However, my point is instead of blaming the availability of guns, as the root cause, we should look beyond that and see why a kid wants to murder his fellow students.
So yeah, this kid in the end is to blame, but why would he did he wish to do this in the first place ?

I have guns and am able to shoot people too. How come I haven't killed anyone?

How would we know?

Try to take them away.

Is that a threat? You don't have the balls to post your location, so how could I ever find you, even if I cared to do so?

In fact you are a greater threat to having your guns taken away, if the NRA policy of keeping guns out of the hands of those mentally ill becomes a federal policy. If the Congress passes legislation to survey comments written on the Internet which suggests anti government ideas, and decide that is an example of mental illness, you too could lose more than your guns, i.e. your liberty.

I have guns and am able to shoot people too. How come I haven't killed anyone?

How would we know?

Try to take them away.

Is that a threat? You don't have the balls to post your location, so how could I ever find you, even if I cared to do so?

In fact you are a greater threat to having your guns taken away, if the NRA policy of keeping guns out of the hands of those mentally ill becomes a federal policy. If the Congress passes legislation to survey comments written on the Internet which suggests anti government ideas, and decide that is an example of mental illness, you too could lose more than your guns, i.e. your liberty.

Trying to limit ones 1st amendment rights, like you just posted, is EXACTLY the reason we must keep the 2nd amendment strong.

Thanks for the reminder.

Better to fight and die a free man than to die a slave. Die a slave if you want, I prefer to not.

And I have guns.

Ok, you make a good point, and I too blame this kid for all of this. However, my point is instead of blaming the availability of guns, as the root cause, we should look beyond that and see why a kid wants to murder his fellow students.
So yeah, this kid in the end is to blame, but why would he did he wish to do this in the first place ?

Psychology is not a hard science, and the ability for anyone, no matter what training or education they have, can never predict with exactitude, the future behavior of a human being.

As Camus wrote in The Myth of Sisyphus:

"
There are many causes for a suicide, and generally the most obvious ones were not the most powerful. Rarely is suicide committed (yet the hypothesis is not excluded) through reflection. What sets off the crisis is almost always unverifiable. Newspapers often speak of "personal sorrows" or of "incurable illness." These explanations are plausible. But one would have to know whether a friend of the desperate man had not that very day addressed him indifferently."

Those who claim the murderer was bullied are only speculating, the motive may not even be known by the shooter.

Forum List

Back