Once Again a Person with a Gun Stopped a Mass Shooter

Retired US Supreme Court Justice Stevens is calling for repeal of the 2nd amendment. There is no doubt the amendment is a relic of the 18th century that has no place in modern society. The reason for the amendment was certainly not to overthrow the government nor for personal defense as many owners claim. Back in the 18th century the people felt that a national standing army posed a threat to the security of the separate states. This lead to the amendment, which suported militias. One would have to be nuts to believe we need militias today in lieu of our armed forces.

The only way the country will ever have effective enforceable gun regulations is to repeal the 2nd amendment. The constitutional right to bear arms has created loopholes in gun control that make them ineffective at keeping the guns out of the hands of criminals.

Dr Grump is obviously a fundamentally dishonest piece of shit who isn't willing to engage in an intellectually honest debate

And Kaz is a moron who doesn't know his arse from his elbow. It has worked in NZ and Australia. And parts of the UK. So who is being intellectually dishonest again?

No...it didn't work in Australia...

Gun city: Young, dumb and armed

The notion that a military-grade weapon could be in the hands of local criminals is shocking, but police have already seized at least five machine guns and assault rifles in the past 18 months. The AK-47 was not among them.

Only a fortnight ago, law enforcement authorities announced they were hunting another seven assault rifles recently smuggled into the country. Weapons from the shipment have been used in armed robberies and drive-by shootings.

These are just a handful of the thousands of illicit guns fuelling a wave of violent crime in the world’s most liveable city.

----

Despite Australia’s strict gun control regime, criminals are now better armed than at any time since then-Prime Minister John Howard introduced a nationwide firearm buyback scheme in response to the 1996 Port Arthur massacre.

Shootings have become almost a weekly occurrence, with more than 125 people, mostly young men, wounded in the past five year

-----------

While the body count was higher during Melbourne’s ‘Underbelly War’ (1999-2005), more people have been seriously maimed in the recent spate of shootings and reprisals.

Crimes associated with firearm possession have also more than doubled, driven by the easy availability of handguns, semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and, increasingly, machine guns, that are smuggled into the country or stolen from licensed owners.

-------------

These weapons have been used in dozens of recent drive-by shootings of homes and businesses, as well as targeted and random attacks in parks, shopping centres and roads.

“They’re young, dumb and armed,” said one former underworld associate, who survived a shooting attempt in the western suburbs several years ago.

“It used to be that if you were involved in something bad you might have to worry about [being shot]. Now people get shot over nothing - unprovoked.”

------------

Gun crime soars
In this series, Fairfax Media looks at Melbourne’s gun problem and the new breed of criminals behind the escalating violence.

The investigation has found:

• There have been at least 99 shootings in the past 20 months - more than one incident a week since January 2015
  • Known criminals were caught with firearms 755 times last year, compared to 143 times in 2011
  • The epicentre of the problem is a triangle between Coolaroo, Campbellfield and Glenroy in the north-west, with Cranbourne, Narre Warren and Dandenong in the south-east close behind
  • Criminals are using gunshot wounds to the arms and legs as warnings to pay debts
  • Assault rifles and handguns are being smuggled into Australia via shipments of electronics and metal parts
In response to the violence, it can be revealed the state government is planning to introduce new criminal offences for drive-by shootings, manufacturing of firearms with new technologies such as 3D printers, and more police powers to keep weapons out of the hands of known criminals.
============
The second part of the series....
Gun city: Gunslingers of the North West

========================

'Thousands' of illegal guns tipped to be handed over in firearms amnesty

Asked roughly how many he expected to be handed in, Mr Keenan said: "Look I certainly think the number will be in the thousands."

The Australian Crime Commission estimated in 2012 there were at least 250,000 illegal guns in Australia. But a Senate report noted last year it was impossible to estimate how many illicit weapons are out there.

But....military weapons?

And despite Australia's strict border controls, the smuggling of high-powered military-style firearms is also a growing problem.

What Dr. Grump does is penis envy. America is so much richer and stronger than he is that he needs to salvage some manhood. So he acts like this. Rather than discussing an issue, he says pretend we're an Island Nation with 4.5 million white people and a few Maoris and it works for them, so it'll work for a diverse nation of 350 million with an open border to a third world country

When the New Zealand people are using their money and bodies to protect the world from Russian and Chinese aggression, maybe then he could have something intelligent to say....but considering New Zealand is a backwater country, so far out in the middle of nowhere and the only real thing they contribute to the world are an unpleasant fruit, the kiwi, and locations shot for hobbit movies....they really don't have much to brag on...
New Zealand is great place to visit but I wouldn't won't to live there, too cold, internet is not good, but wonderful scenery. There 1.1 million firearms in a population of 5 million. Homicides via guns are very low, about 8 a year compared to the US about 13,000 a year in the US.

Is there a point to that?

A small, sparsely populated homogeneous society has a low murder rate! OMG, what an insight! Not ...

New Zealand is great place to visit but I wouldn't won't to live there, too cold, internet is not good, but wonderful scenery. There 1.1 million firearms in a population of 5 million. Homicides via guns are very low, about 8 a year compared to the US about 13,000 a year in the US.

Couple of things. There is no way there are 1.1 firearms in NZ. I know literally thousands of people. Three own firearms and they are all farmers.

Our internet is fine.
WorldwideCountryRanking

NZ has cold winters and hot summers. Bit like most of the US.

We have a population of 4.8 millino

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/slideshows/the-25-best-countries-in-the-world?slide=20

NZ number 13, US number 8...

What Dr. Grump has is penis envy. America is so much richer and stronger than his that he needs to salvage some manhood. So he acts like this. Rather than discussing an issue, he says pretend we're an Island Nation with 4.5 million white people and a few Maoris and it works for them, so it'll work for a diverse nation of 350 million with an open border to a third world country

America is definitely richer and stronger. Um, no, NZ is very much multi-cultural. At my son's school before we immigrated there were just obert 130 languages spoken. South Island is very white. Thirty years ago Whitey made up about 92% of the population. It is now down to about 74%....And our borders are more or less open to Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and all the other Pacific Island nations - all of which are third world.

Retired US Supreme Court Justice Stevens is calling for repeal of the 2nd amendment. There is no doubt the amendment is a relic of the 18th century that has no place in modern society. The reason for the amendment was certainly not to overthrow the government nor for personal defense as many owners claim. Back in the 18th century the people felt that a national standing army posed a threat to the security of the separate states. This lead to the amendment, which suported militias. One would have to be nuts to believe we need militias today in lieu of our armed forces.

The only way the country will ever have effective enforceable gun regulations is to repeal the 2nd amendment. The constitutional right to bear arms has created loopholes in gun control that make them ineffective at keeping the guns out of the hands of criminals.

You are delusional.

To dump the 2A one has to get 3/4ths of states to affirm an amendment, which means only 13 states turning it down kills it.

You really have to stop cutting your crack with Draino, bubba.

The long, shameful list of school shootings in America

Go click on these "mass school shootings" and see for yourself. For my town I got this..
An unidentified man was shot and injured while sitting in his car in a parking lot outside of a dorm. He was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. Tennessee State announced that the victim was not a student at the school, and Nashville Police announced they were investigating the incident.

290 School Shootings In America Since 2013
290 School Shootings In America Since 2013

Go tell Bloomberg and the media that their lying has been exposed and Bloomberg is wasting his money..
Go tell pompous ass "fact-checkers" like Snopes and Obama who repeat these lies that they are doing Putin's work for him.

That link loaded up this account:

A 15-year-old boy shot and injured his 14-year-old girlfriend with a handgun, in a residence. The boy then fled to a nearby school parking lot, where he shot and killed himself. When law enforcement arrived at the residence, they found the female badly injured. She later told police that her boyfriend shot her unintentionally.

Source: Twincities.com

Not a mass shooting, not even a "school shooting" in the sense that most people would think of... Pretty deceptive.

Couple of things. There is no way there are 1.1 firearms in NZ. I know literally thousands of people. Three own firearms and they are all farmers.

Our internet is fine.
WorldwideCountryRanking

NZ has cold winters and hot summers. Bit like most of the US.

We have a population of 4.8 millino

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/slideshows/the-25-best-countries-in-the-world?slide=20

NZ number 13, US number 8...
About 230,000 licensed firearms owners own and use New Zealand's estimated 1.1 million firearms.[1]
Gun laws in New Zealand - Wikipedia

I love New Zealand but it's just too different from the US for me to live there. I was there in spring and I was cold most of time. Seems like they don't keep their buildings very warm. However, the scenery is great, the food is good and the cost of stuff is not that high.

You are delusional.

To dump the 2A one has to get 3/4ths of states to affirm an amendment, which means only 13 states turning it down kills it.

You really have to stop cutting your crack with Draino, bubba.
I never said that I was in favor of dumping the 2nd amendment, and yes it would be impossible today, but over time things change.

I said we can not have effective gun control as long as we have the amendment. Supporters of gun rights are so adamant about protecting their rights that attempts to pass gun laws are met with such opposition that we end up with laws filled with exceptions and loopholes.

What Dr. Grump has is penis envy. America is so much richer and stronger than his that he needs to salvage some manhood. So he acts like this. Rather than discussing an issue, he says pretend we're an Island Nation with 4.5 million white people and a few Maoris and it works for them, so it'll work for a diverse nation of 350 million with an open border to a third world country

America is definitely richer and stronger. Um, no, NZ is very much multi-cultural. At my son's school before we immigrated there were just obert 130 languages spoken. South Island is very white. Thirty years ago Whitey made up about 92% of the population. It is now down to about 74%....And our borders are more or less open to Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and all the other Pacific Island nations - all of which are third world.

OK, fair enough that if you want to divide the islanders into their various groups. But they have similar cultures. That's a very different thing to diversity in the United States which apparently you know nothing about since you think a 4.5 million people on remote islands = 350 million and no border with a third world country who is invading us to the tune of a million people a year.

Think about that. We import your entire population in poor, uneducated criminals with no background check carrying drugs and weapons every 4.5 years. And you're going to lecture us? As I said, you're the Ugly New Zealander coming here and looking down your nose and informing us you know better than we do about our own country

[
About 230,000 licensed firearms owners own and use New Zealand's estimated 1.1 million firearms.[1]

I love New Zealand but it's just too different from the US for me to live there. I was there in spring and I was cold most of time. Seems like they don't keep their buildings very warm. However, the scenery is great, the food is good and the cost of stuff is not that high.

I followed the link from Wiki, but doesn't really give a source for that number. I know collectors have a huge number of them.

What part did you go to?

Yeah, they are starting to make the buildings warmer these days. New building consents demand certain standards.

OK, fair enough that if you want to divide the islanders into their various groups. But they have similar cultures. That's a very different thing to diversity in the United States which apparently you know nothing about since you think a 4.5 million people on remote islands = 350 million and no border with a third world country who is invading us to the tune of a million people a year.

Think about that. We import your entire population in poor, uneducated criminals with no background check carrying drugs and weapons every 4.5 years. And you're going to lecture us? As I said, you're the Ugly New Zealander coming here and looking down your nose and informing us you know better than we do about our own country

LOL..talk about ignorance - 'divide islanders into their various groups'. For a start, of those 130 different languages, about 20 of them belong to islanders. As for similar cultures, sure they do...just like Russians are similar to the French who are similar to the Italians in Europe. You wouldn't have a clue.

I know more than I care to about the US. And more ignorance from the Stupid American. 4.5 million uneducated, poor criminals. Care to make a link to that? Probably not. Pulling figures out of your arse is your forte it seems.

LOL..talk about ignorance - 'divide islanders into their various groups'. For a start, of those 130 different languages, about 20 of them belong to islanders. As for similar cultures, sure they do...just like Russians are similar to the French who are similar to the Italians in Europe. You wouldn't have a clue.

I know more than I care to about the US. And more ignorance from the Stupid American. 4.5 million uneducated, poor criminals. Care to make a link to that? Probably not. Pulling figures out of your arse is your forte it seems.

So before you had guns laws, all those groups were importing guns and constantly shooting each other. They had ghetto shootouts, you had crime lords. They were importing poor, criminal islanders from other countries. Then you made gun laws and that all stopped and your shootings mostly stopped.

Got it. And your deep knowledge of the US tells you that the Kiwi Miracle will work here too. You're not playing with a full deck and you obviously know nothing about the US since you believe gun laws work there and therefore they will work her too to end crime and make us safe.

You're a joke. When you want to be real, let me know

"And our borders are more or less open to Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and all the other Pacific Island nations - all of which are third world."

Which means you'll eventually be third world as well.

And our borders are more or less open to Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and all the other Pacific Island nations - all of which are third world.

So you think thousands of miles of ocean are equivalent to walking across our border? Wow, if you want to look LESS stupid, stop saying things like that

[

I followed the link from Wiki, but doesn't really give a source for that number. I know collectors have a huge number of them.

What part did you go to?

Yeah, they are starting to make the buildings warmer these days. New building consents demand certain standards.
Maybe I need to visit NZ again and take warmer clothes. IMHO, Americans have a hard time embarrassing other cultures but in NZ it's not about the culture, it's about the mountains and the sea, what a great place to visit. When I was there I loved sailing in Milford Sound but the whole place was great. My brother lived in Christchurch and took us everywhere.

Forum List

Back