On Your Night Stand?

I just realized that if someone asked me if I have "one night stand", I would have to say yes.

This weekend I just picked up

cancelyo.jpg

Say what you will about his smarmy demeanor and conservative politics but this book is almost as entertaining to read as these forum threads. The digs and jabs read a lot like the sparing around here. Good stuff

raing.jpg

Another for the bio section of my home library. I look forward to reading about one of my favorite comedians from the perspective of someone who knows.

and

x9257.jpg

This book pretty much proves my theory about how empty the beatnik scene was outside of Kerouac. This isn't "art" so much as one more way to squeeze revenue from the cult of personality that sprung from On The Road. The images are nothing i'd consider artistic outside of giving a clearer picture of the type of things that keep the Cult of Kerouac following along. Jack's drawings is to art what Gregory Corso's writings were to poetry: only relevant because On The Road created the same kind of cultural sensation for 50's hipsters that killed Kurt Cobain in the 90s.

You know, I think the real gem was always Jack's work. I'll even include Ginsberg since he wrote one of my favorite poems (and that little Ferlinghetti trial) but, by and large, i've never been impressed with most of the extended "beatnik" poets (rather, crooks and bums who saw poetry and lit as a meal ticket) It's almost as if Jack was the last good American writer following Burroughs in that little tangent until Kesey came along. It's pretty obvious why the rest of them had to continually name drop all the time. I'd trade most of the beatnik hangers on for Charles Bukowski any day.

Forum List

Back