On This Day

Mr. Shaman

May 4, 2010
3/9/11

1942: Construction of the Alaska Highway began.

1954: Edward R. Murrow ("See it Now") criticizes Senator Joseph McCarthy.

1961: 1st animal returned from space; dog named Blackie aboard Sputnik 9.

1962: Egyptian President Nasser declares Gaza belongs to Palestinians & U.S. advisors in South-Vietnam join the fight.

1976: 1st female cadets accepted to West Point Military Academy.

3/9/11

1962: Egyptian President Nasser declares Gaza belongs to Palestinians & U.S. advisors in South-Vietnam join the fight.

I avoid mult-colored posts, but history is my fav....good post.

Let me add..March 9th:

1451 - Amerigo Vespucci born(merchant, explorer; America named for him; died Feb 22, 1512).Amerigo Vespucci — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

1841 The Supreme Court of the United States rules in the Amistad case, concerning captive Africans who seized control of the slave-trading ship carrying them: the court rules that they had been taken into slavery illegally. In 1840, a federal trial court found that the initial transport of the Africans across the Atlantic (which did not involve the Amistad) had been illegal and that they were not legally slaves but free.Supreme Court rules on <I>Amistad</I> mutiny &mdash; History.com This Day in History &mdash; 3/9/1841

1933 The Emergency Banking Act (also known as the Emergency Banking Relief Act) was an act of the United States Congress spearheaded by President Franklin D. Roosevelt during the Great Depression. It was passed on March 9, 1933. The act allowed a plan that would close down insolvent banks and reorganize and reopen those banks strong enough to survive.Emergency Banking Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1500 Pedro Cabral left Portugal with 13 ships and 1200 men to follow da Gama’s route to India. Winds swept him west and he accidentally stopped in Brazil. (Contrary to the Treaty of Tordesillas see 6/9) He went on to India, via the Cape of Good Hope, and reached (attacked) Calicut on September 13, 1500. He returned to Portugal on June 23, 1501 with 4 ships: he lost almost 900 men. http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Pedro_Alvares_Cabral.aspx

1862 Monitor fires on Merrimack for the first time at Hampton Roads : The first battle between two ironclad warships.Civil War Traveler - Virginia - Tidewater

BTW- tomorrow is the anniversary of the day that the only US President to hold a patent applied for same.

Not to get too picky, but the dog on Sputnik 9 was named Chernushka. I went to a Russian-English dictionary and Blackie isn't even a translation of the dog's name.

I watched a pretty interesting program on the Alaskan highway, African Americans built one part while white men built the other half. Who do you think finished first according to the program? :D

3/9/11

I avoid mult-colored posts, but history is my fav....good post.

Forum List

Back