On This Day in 1964, Democrats Filibustered the Civil Rights Act

The fight in 1964 was good Dems and Pubs against bad Dems and Pubs, and the good guys won.

And those southern Democrats would not be in the Democrat party today. They were the Conservative wing.

Perhaps you should consider political ideology above party affiliation.

The Tea Party types have purged moderate Republicans as "RINOs". I suggest a similar purge of Conservative southern Democrats might not be necessary as Conservatism holds a greater sway on voters so inclined than party affiliation. Those southern Conservative Democrats would probably leave the DNC anyway.

And those southern Democrats would not be in the Democrat party today. They were the Conservative wing.

The Tea Party types have purged moderate Republicans as "RINOs". I suggest a similar purge of Conservative southern Democrats might not be necessary as Conservatism holds a greater sway on voters so inclined than party affiliation. Those southern Conservative Democrats would probably leave the DNC anyway.

:cuckoo:

"[N]o Republican here should kid themselves about it:

the greatest leaders in fighting for an integrated America in the 20th century were in the Democratic Party.

The fact is, it was the liberal wing of the Democratic Party that ended segregation
. The fact is that it was Franklin Delano Roosevelt who gave hope to a nation that was in despair and could have slid into dictatorship. And the fact is, every Republican has much to learn from studying what the Democrats did right." - Newt Gingrich

Try enrolling in a history class or two at your local community college. In these classes, you will learn about the Dixiecrat movement of 1948. You will read the writings of southern Conservative Democrats. You may agree with some of their political stances. You will definitely see that the Democrat party and the Republican party have never, until recently, been monolithic in ideology.

For instance, moderate northern Republicans supported the Civil Rights Act of 1964, while Conservative southern Democrats opposed it. And that Democrat opposition was not a unanimous effort by Democrats.

And the Republicans who supported it would be drummed out of the Republican party as it is today as RINOs.

There's lots more history to learn, I hope you enjoy it!

On this Day in 1964 almost all Southern Democrats and ALL Southern Republicans Filibustered the Civil Rights Act.

Shrug.

Even then, Republicans had their RINOs.
cuckoo.gif

Try enrolling in a history class or two at your local community college.

Not necessary. I lived in the era, and paid attention.

No, you did not pay attention. You deliberately destroyed the good.

Great! Then tell me what the motivating factor was among the southern Conservative Democrats. What was the crux of their argument?

Good thing that Democrats forced the end of the filibuster and then voted by a majority to pass the Civil Rights Act.

Proposed by John Kennedy- Democrat
Promoted by Lyndon B. Johnson- Democrat
Passed by a majority of Democrat Senators and Congressman.
With the assistance of the Republicans.

What part did I type too fast for you?

Great! Then tell me what the motivating factor was among the southern Conservative Democrats. What was the crux of their argument?

Eighteen Democrat Senators and one Republican Senator launched a filibuster to prevent passage when the bill came before the full Senate.

Democrat Senator Richard Russell of Georgia put it quite plainly: "We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would have a tendency to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our states."

South Carolina Democrat Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC) exclaimed: "This so-called Civil Rights Proposal, which the President has sent to Capitol Hill for enactment into law, are unconstitutional, unnecessary, unwise and extend beyond the realm of reason. This is the worst civil-rights package ever presented to the Congress and is reminiscent of the Reconstruction proposals and actions of the radical Republican Congress."

Democrat Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia blabbered for fourteen hours in an attempt to stop a vote. It failed.

Basically, they didn't want "them nigras" in the same room when they were sipping their mint juleps, unless they were servers.

Eighteen Democrat Senators and one Republican Senator launched a filibuster to prevent passage when the bill came before the full Senate.

Democrat Senator Richard Russell of Georgia put it quite plainly: "We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would have a tendency to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our states."

South Carolina Democrat Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC) exclaimed: "This so-called Civil Rights Proposal, which the President has sent to Capitol Hill for enactment into law, are unconstitutional, unnecessary, unwise and extend beyond the realm of reason. This is the worst civil-rights package ever presented to the Congress and is reminiscent of the Reconstruction proposals and actions of the radical Republican Congress."

Democrat Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia blabbered for fourteen hours in an attempt to stop a vote. It failed.

Basically, they didn't want "them nigras" in the same room when they were sipping their mint juleps, unless they were servers.
They argued 'state's rights'. Does that sound like a Liberal position? And do their arguments square with the political ideology as espoused by contemporary Democrats? According to Conservatives, today's Democrat is in bed with the Black Lives Matter movement. Does the rhetoric of the southern Conservative Democrats of the mid 60s square with the rhetoric of Democrats fifty years later?

They argued 'state's rights'. Does that sound like a Liberal position? And do their arguments square with the political ideology as espoused by contemporary Democrats? According to Conservatives, today's Democrat is in bed with the Black Lives Matter movement. Does the rhetoric of the southern Conservative Democrats of the mid 60s square with the rhetoric of Democrats fifty years later?

Democrats are not liberals by classic definition, and as I'm sure you realize, the best lies contain a little truth.

As noted yesterday, the Communists in the Democratic Party in the early-mid 60s convinced the Party that co-opting the Civil Rights Movement was a smart move in terms of securing another voting bloc. Free bacon straight from the table makes for happy dogs.

The Party has not changed, they just play the game differently. Now that the Democrats are wooing a new girlfriend in the person of the Latinos, blacks are figuring out just how screwed they've been all these years.

I mean, in terms of the ghettos in Democrat-run cities, what's changed over the fifty years of Democrat "friendship"? Not a goddam thing.

Forum List

Back