On The War And Getting On Message

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Here we are again, facing that communication problem:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/995phqjw.asp?pg=1

Conclusion, the whole thing is well worth reading:

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "The great point about Blair's 1999 speech was that it asserted the obvious. Coexistence with aggressive regimes or expansionist, theocratic, and totalitarian ideologies is not in fact possible. One should welcome this conclusion for the additional reason that such coexistence is not desirable, either. If the great effort to remake Iraq as a demilitarized federal and secular democracy should fail or be defeated, I shall lose sleep for the rest of my life in reproaching myself for doing too little. But at least I shall have the comfort of not having offered, so far as I can recall, any word or deed that contributed to a defeat."

I hope Blair is aware that the Shiites are pointing Iraq towards a THEOCRACY.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    You say this like it's an absolutely bad thing. Almost everyone in Iraq is a Muslim, so a democratic theocracy is probably the ideal system. That's the system that's set up in Afghanistan.

4. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    By golly, a liberal columnist can see positive aspects of the WOT when his guilty conscience gets the best of him.