On the topic of ethics: Gay television

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NewGuy

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/23/gay.network.ap/index.html
Cher, Alan Cumming on board for gay network

Friday, July 23, 2004 Posted: 3:36 PM EDT (1936 GMT)

Cher and her daughter, Chastity Bono, are working on a series about celebrities who came out as gay and lesbians.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Logo, the new television network aimed at gays and lesbians, is working with Cher, Alan Cumming and Margaret Cho on new shows and plans two wedding programs.

A Viacom network that plans a February 17, 2005 launch, Logo detailed its programming strategy for the first time on Friday. Brian Graden, MTV/VH1 Entertainment president who's also working on Logo, said the outpouring of support has been thrilling.

Cher and her daughter, Chastity Bono, are working on "Family Outing," a series telling the stories of celebrities who came out as gay and lesbians.

Cumming has signed on for a musical cabaret series and Cho is expected to star in her own series, for which few details were available.

Kathy Griffin will be cruise director for "Fantastic Voyage," a real-life "Love Boat" played out on an ocean liner in the Caribbean.

The two wedding-themed series play off a newsmaking topic. "My Fabulous Gay Wedding," with actor Scott Thompson as host, follows about-to-be-married gay couples as they plan their wedding. "Do I?" brings gay and lesbian couples contemplating marriage before a relationship expert.

Graden will also bring a familiar MTV Networks idea to Logo with "The Big Gay 100," a countdown show of the greatest people, places and things in gay culture.

Logo has also acquired more than 150 documentaries and movies popular with gay audiences, including "Mommie Dearest," "Philadelphia" and "Breaking the Surface: The Greg Louganis Story."

OCA said:
Curious as to see what their Nielsen ratings will look like.

Understated, flowing numbers in a mauve satin finish - offset, in order to create a two-tiered effect.

gop_jeff said:
Seeing that the homosexual population is around 1-2%, I can't see how this network would survive.

How about others that are not gay and are interested in the gay culture?

Gay TV and culture is getting more popular all the time. They may only occupy 1-2% of the population, but that only seems to help in popularity. Supply and Demand.

MrMarbles said:
Gay TV and culture is getting more popular all the time. They may only occupy 1-2% of the population, but that only seems to help in popularity. Supply and Demand.

Great. The people who work at clinics, AZT manufacturers, and suicide hotlines have families, too. Nice to know they'll enjoy some job security.

musicman said:
By all means, let's keep portraying deviant, dangerous, and immoral sexual perversion in a positive light.

Can you tell me how homosexuality is deviant, dangerous, and immoral?

chagan said:
Can you tell me how homosexuality is deviant, dangerous, and immoral?

It involves getting feces on one's genitals, it is responsible for the skyrocketing rates of AIDS and anal cancer, and it has been the downfall of every civilization which has tolerated it.

musicman said:
It involves getting feces on one's genitals, it is responsible for the skyrocketing rates of AIDS and anal cancer, and it has been the downfall of every civilization which has tolerated it.

Would you be so kind to explain that point?

EDIT: I meant the second part of your statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back