On The 'Standardized Tests' Battlefront!

Being in the midst of 'standardized testing, I can sadly say most of the 7th and 8th graders being tested really don't care about test results or try on the tests.

They have no reward at this level and know the only ones held accountable are the teachers and the school. They don't take testing seriously, only as a break from regular classes.

As far as teacher evaluations being tied to test scores:

If teachers knew their job security was tied to the work ethic of 13 and 14 year olds they probably wouldn't have taken the job.

Would you?

How many of them cry unfair when they get a low score?

In all honesty, once the tests are over, I've never spoken with a student about them. Not their score or anything else connected with them.

Their parents received the 'results and explanations' through the mail and if contacted we'd set up a conference. I can remember having 5 or 6 the entire time of teaching middle school, (I'm pretty certain that ACT and SAT bring out more parents). In each case it was a highly successful student with low test scores. The parents were freaked. When we met with them, (teaching team), the message was always the same: Your child is doing fine. Can anyone say they are 'surpassing their capabilities?' No. Truth is, there are bad test takers and the more highly stressed they are, the more likely they are to change their first answers.

We would reassure we hadn't a problem recommending honors or AP course studies for the student, BUT would also encourage the parents to enroll the child in any prep PSAT, ACT, SAT courses/reviews. Most high schools have before and after school groups for doing this at no cost. There are many 'for profit' organizations that provide the prep.

As a teacher though, my concern was always the lower performing kids that scored high, never did any of their parents call. BTW, this was a private school.

Standardized tests are utter ridiculous. When I had to take them in school, no one I new cared. Half the people just made pictures in the answer sheets, and the other half just did it because there was nothing better to do (I fell into the latter category). Not only does no one care, but also using tests to find out how knowledgable someone is stupid. I know plenty of people I consider to be much smarter than me, but completely bombed the standardized tests. They should be done away with.

Standardized tests are utter ridiculous. When I had to take them in school, no one I new cared. Half the people just made pictures in the answer sheets, and the other half just did it because there was nothing better to do (I fell into the latter category). Not only does no one care, but also using tests to find out how knowledgable someone is stupid. I know plenty of people I consider to be much smarter than me, but completely bombed the standardized tests. They should be done away with.

" no one I new cared. "
Talk about proving a negative....

"I know plenty of people I consider to be much smarter than me,..."
You'll have no problem proving that....

"They should be done away with."
As should the institutions of education responsible for the above...

Forum List

Back