On the Pleasure of Hating.

You must be positively orgasmic, the wallowing in hate you do.
Don't change the subject. You're the one who started a thread about understanding "hate". Yet you do none of that with me. You don't even try. You hate my guts so much, we can't even have a civil conversation.
She knows all about hate.

Troll post.
Which you never do, right?

This is not the thread to try to drag me down to your level.

I was interested in algebra and geometry.

You must be positively orgasmic, the wallowing in hate you do.
Don't change the subject. You're the one who started a thread about understanding "hate". Yet you do none of that with me. You don't even try. You hate my guts so much, we can't even have a civil conversation.
She knows all about hate.

Troll post.
Which you never do, right?

This is not the thread to try to drag me down to your level.

I was interested in algebra and geometry.
But every other thread you try and do it to me is?

The pleasure of hating, like a poisonous mineral, eats into the heart of religion, and turns it to rankling spleen and bigotry; it makes patriotism an excuse for carrying fire, pestilence, and famine into other lands: it leaves to virtue nothing but the spirit of censoriousness, and a narrow, jealous, inquisitorial watchfulness over the actions and motives of others. What have the different sects, creeds, doctrines in religion been but so many pretexts set up for men to wrangle, to quarrel, to tear one another in pieces about, like a target as a mark to shoot at? Does any one suppose that the love of country in an Englishman implies any friendly feeling or disposition to serve another bearing the same name? No, it means only hatred to the French or the inhabitants of any other country that we happen to be at war with for the time. Does the love of virtue denote any wish to discover or amend our own faults? No, but it atones for an obstinate adherence to our own vices by the most virulent intolerance to human frailties. This principle is of a most universal application. It extends to good as well as evil: if it makes us hate folly, it makes us no less dissatisfied with distinguished merit. If it inclines us to resent the wrongs of others, it impels us to be as impatient of their prosperity. We revenge injuries: we repay benefits with ingratitude. Even our strongest partialities and likings soon take this turn.

"That which was luscious as locusts, anon becomes bitter as coloquintida;" and love and friendship melt in their own fires. We hate old friends: we hate old books: we hate old opinions; and at last we come to hate ourselves.

Wm. Hazlitt - "On The Pleasure Of Hating" (c.1826).
I would argue we hate ourselves first and hate in others what we hate most about ourselves.

So if we transform ourself in effect we transform the world around us.

I've seen that argument many times.

But the premise here is about enjoying it
I don’t understand. Which argument have you seen many times? Enjoy what?
"i would argue" you said.

she said, "ive seen that argument"

you responded, "which argument?"
Get over yourself already and stop gunking up the conversation.

What conversation?
Are you circling the abyss or the drain like a succubus?

Forum List

Back