On The MSM And WOT

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.gmroper.com/archives/2005/09/reportage_and_t.htm

3 lead stories/4 lead paragraphs from LA Times, NY Times, and WaPo; compared and contrasted with Michael Yon-Priceless.

If you don't know who Michael Yon is, check it out:

http://michaelyon.blogspot.com/
Michael Yon, author of "Danger Close," is an independent, informed observer chronicling the monumentally important events in the efforts to stabilize Iraq. His dispatches have the benefit of his life experiences without drawbacks based on deadlines or demands of marketplace. The cost of these dispatches is borne solely by Michael. Readers who enjoy these dispatches and want to support Michael's mission in Iraq, can make a contribution using the PayPal links which are activated when the "support the next dispatch" button is clicked.
Contributions can also be sent to:
Michael Yon P O Box 416 Westport Pt MA 02791

Part of his most recent dispatch:
Friday, September 23, 2005
Battle For Mosul III: Prelude

Prelude

Deuce Four soldiers receiving Purple Hearts.

“Deuce Four,” is on its way home.

I attended their departure ceremony, presided over by the much respected Brigade Commander, Colonel Robert Brown. Purple Hearts were awarded to soldiers wounded in action. The commander of the Deuce Four, LTC Erik Kurilla, was not there to pin the medals on his soldiers; Kurilla was the last Deuce Four solider wounded in Iraq, and was recovering from three gunshot wounds. All told, the 1-24th infantry regiment earned over 157 Purple Hearts during their mission in Mosul.

Shortly after the ceremony, I boarded an Air Force jet that landed in Qatar after midnight. Several friendly Air Force people asked where I intended to go. Was I hungry? Did I need a place to stay? They were extremely helpful and their hospitality was such that I was tempted to sojourn for a day. But I politely tore myself from the offer, and asked for a ride to the front gate. The Air Force obliged, calling a taxi, and they drove me to the front gate to wait for the taxi. I walked off base and sat in the desert darkness. By then it was about three in the morning.

About a half hour later, headlights were cutting towards me down the desert road. More than eight months of embed with American combat soldiers ended. I already missed them, but I sure was happy to be out of that war.

The past eight months taught me a few things, and so I have been busy re-equipping and revising my strategy to return to combat. During my first stay with the soldiers, my work was not efficient as it might have been. Technical and communication glitches dammed up the words. I could have written many more dispatches had the process been streamlined. In addition to working through these by reviewing options for high-tech satellite communications gear, better systems for managing the publication of dispatches are now in place.

Some of these new systems are apparent by looking around the page. The new look on the blog is due mostly to the hard work of a volunteer I have never met named Ryan Franklin. Ryan’s help has accelerated the process--and as countless readers have said, he did an excellent job with the new look. In fact, the new look was largely the result of his intense labor. I only write and shoot photos.

On the tactical, combat level, oftentimes during night missions, for instance, I was disadvantaged in keeping up with American soldiers; my new night vision gear, paid for by gracious readers, will close that gap. My camera and computer gear are also undergoing upgrades, enabling better performance in harsh environments. As to my own protective gear, I’ll have better and more of it. It may subject me to a lot of ribbing from soldiers, but I’ve seen a lot of folks shot and blown up this year, and am doing my best to avoid that fate...
read it all.

Thanks K!

Was looking forward to latest dispatch and glad to hear about Kurilla coming through OK.

I wish Yon's stuff was required reading.......

kurtsprincess said:
Thanks K!

Was looking forward to latest dispatch and glad to hear about Kurilla coming through OK.

I wish Yon's stuff was required reading.......

No Problem KP! I love his writing, I hope he'll be MSM soon though. I read that he's been asked, but so far hasn't worked out the glitches, which I figure means 'freedom' to write what he wants.

Forum List

Back