CDZ On the lighter side of things...What's up with America and its toilets?

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
So, with all the recent hoopla about bathrooms, it occurs to me that there is something I consider far more disturbing than whether or not a transsexual happens to be in the bathroom when I'm in there. The state of American toilet seats is that problem.

In the U.S., we like to think of ourselves as having the "the best" of everything in many ways...the highest standard of living, the best tech, the best food, the best nation, etc. Yet when it comes to toilet seats, the ones typically found in American restrooms are, well, functional but nothing more than that. Contrast that with the toilets I most often come by in Tokyo.

image_1393386908388_article.jpg

japanese-toilet.JPG

auto-1.gif

hqdefault.jpg

I mean really. The only thing pleasant about what goes on in the loo is the relief one feels upon having done one's business. But for the love of God, why is it that the U.S. doesn't ubiquitously have fully automated toilets that include personal cleansing features? This is not new or difficult to design/build/deploy tech. It's been all over the place in Japan since well before my first trip there which was in the 1990s.

At the very least, it seems reasonable to expect that public toilets at the very least would have seats that are cleaned automatically after each flush. And yet, I've only rarely seen such in the U.S. Never mind that for some dumbass reason, many U.S. cities don't even have public toilets. Why? When did man ever not need to "take care of business" at inopportune times and on sometimes unanticipatable schedules? Portland, Beijing, London, and a host of other large cities have figured out how to install public restrooms for exactly that purpose.

I think that if there's any one thing that tells us a lot about a place, it's the way its citizens/government leaders have chosen to deal with the most mundane yet essential things. In the course of daily living, it doesn't get any more mundane or essential than going to the loo. That doing so in the U.S. is both a travesty in comparison to other countries and that we feel compelled for any reason to mandate who can go when and where is even worse. Puh-lease!

I stay far away from public bathrooms , but sometimes you don't have a choice. I wouldn't want a butt cleaner sitting there all day collecting feces blowing water anywhere near my privates. If people like them in their home, no problem .

So, with all the recent hoopla about bathrooms, it occurs to me that there is something I consider far more disturbing than whether or not a transsexual happens to be in the bathroom when I'm in there. The state of American toilet seats is that problem.

In the U.S., we like to think of ourselves as having the "the best" of everything in many ways...the highest standard of living, the best tech, the best food, the best nation, etc. Yet when it comes to toilet seats, the ones typically found in American restrooms are, well, functional but nothing more than that. Contrast that with the toilets I most often come by in Tokyo.

japanese-toilet.JPG

auto-1.gif

hqdefault.jpg

I mean really. The only thing pleasant about what goes on in the loo is the relief one feels upon having done one's business. But for the love of God, why is it that the U.S. doesn't ubiquitously have fully automated toilets that include personal cleansing features? This is not new or difficult to design/build/deploy tech. It's been all over the place in Japan since well before my first trip there which was in the 1990s.

At the very least, it seems reasonable to expect that public toilets at the very least would have seats that are cleaned automatically after each flush. And yet, I've only rarely seen such in the U.S. Never mind that for some dumbass reason, many U.S. cities don't even have public toilets. Why? When did man ever not need to "take care of business" at inopportune times and on sometimes unanticipatable schedules? Portland, Beijing, London, and a host of other large cities have figured out how to install public restrooms for exactly that purpose.

I think that if there's any one thing that tells us a lot about a place, it's the way its citizens/government leaders have chosen to deal with the most mundane yet essential things. In the course of daily living, it doesn't get any more mundane or essential than going to the loo. That doing so in the U.S. is both a travesty in comparison to other countries and that we feel compelled for any reason to mandate who can go when and where is even worse. Puh-lease!

I was in Japan around 1995 in some places they were still squatting in a hole.

japanese-toilet.JPG

auto-1.gif

hqdefault.jpg

Well apparenty now they shit like Pharaohs.

japanese-toilet.JPG

auto-1.gif

hqdefault.jpg

I see that all over the PRC; I've even had to learn how to use them (Not at all a steep learning curve, but still something new to figure out the first time one encounters it.). I have never encountered it in Japan, although I'm not surprised they persist.

Frankly, the squatting hole isn't a half bad "restroom solution." Minimally, with them, one need never be concerned about the toilet seat being dirty. Additionally, it's super easy to clean up the floor around them...no need to have to scrub behind the stool, etc. The biggest issues with them are (1) figuring out what to do with one's garments so as not to soil them in the process of using the hole, and (2) having the flexibility to squat and then get back up, which may affect some folks, but certainly not all folks.

I stay far away from public bathrooms , but sometimes you don't have a choice. I wouldn't want a butt cleaner sitting there all day collecting feces blowing water anywhere near my privates. If people like them in their home, no problem ...

Well, I don't know what to tell you other than that the nozzle that squirts disinfecting solution and warm water at one's "parts" is positioned so that it doesn't collect the stuff it aims to wash away.

What makes you think the folks who invented the "butt washing" toilet seat didn't anticipate and thus figure out a way to deal with the issue you posed? Do you really think the rest of the world is too ignorant to not have thought of that? Especially the Japanese with their cultural zeal for cleanliness that outstrips that of every other culture I've encountered.?

I stay far away from public bathrooms , but sometimes you don't have a choice. I wouldn't want a butt cleaner sitting there all day collecting feces blowing water anywhere near my privates. If people like them in their home, no problem ...

Well, I don't know what to tell you other than that the nozzle that squirts disinfecting solution and warm water at one's "parts" is positioned so that it doesn't collect the stuff it aims to wash away.

What makes you think the folks who invented the "butt washing" toilet seat didn't anticipate and thus figure out a way to deal with the issue you posed? Do you really think the rest of the world is too ignorant to not have thought of that? Especially the Japanese with their cultural zeal for cleanliness that outstrips that of every other culture I've encountered.?

There are people lazy enough not to face their hands and touch everything..Maybe with a butt cleaner they won't need to use their hands..;)

Forum List

Back