On the agenda: Packing, shredding

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
:eek::eusa_boohoo:good grief, welcome to the real world

151 CommentsRSSEmailPrint
'Tears were shed,' said a spokesman for Florida Rep. Alan Grayson, who lost in the elections. | AP Photo
CloseBy ERIKA LOVLEY | 11/15/10 4:35 AM EST Updated: 11/15/10 6:38 PM EST
As many as 1,800 Democratic congressional staffers will soon lose their jobs, with layoffs hitting everyone from entry-level schedulers to six-figure committee lawyers in a mass exodus that will accompany the greatest congressional turnover in 70 years.

While results are still being tallied in some races, the damage is clear for Democratic staffers. At least 60 seats have been lost, meaning those offices need to start packing their boxes to clear out in December. POLITICO estimated the likely layoffs based on the average number of staffers per House office, as well as the Democratic committee staffing level, which will most likely be slashed in half now that Democrats will be the minority party.

“Tears were shed. We were absolutely disappointed that this is going to end,” said Todd Jurkowski, a spokesman for Florida Rep. Alan Grayson, who lost to Republican Daniel Webster. “We were good, and we were getting better.”

Jurkowski said he has no job lined up and wants to help wind down the office.

To be sure, most staffers come to Capitol Hill realizing their jobs are, by nature, ephemeral. Their vocations are tied to the whims of voters and the electability of their boss. But the 2010 wave will cause a giant turnover on Capitol Hill, where offices of Nov. 2 losers soon will fill with packing boxes and paper shredders will start humming. Most offices have to be empty by December to clear the way for the massive class of newcomers to be sworn into office in January.

Last week, there were “counselors” making the rounds in some Democratic offices to not only offer advice on résumés and job hunting but also help with the emotional aspect of the losses. One section of a packet handed out to staffers dealt with the stages of grief.

“It was like it was about death,” one staffer said. “It was bizarre.”

Not everyone was expecting his or her bosses to lose.

“It was a terrible shock,” said one longtime Democratic aide, a late-career congressional staffer. “The first thing I did was call my wife to give her the news. ... We’re not rich. I’m not as young as I used to be. I was not prepared for this personally; I was prepared for it happening to other people.” That concern is reverberating around the Hill — not only among congressional office staff but among House committee staff as well now that committees will be led by Republicans.

read it all and comments.
Read more: On the agenda: Packing, shredding - Erika Lovley - POLITICO.com

'Tears were shed,' said a spokesman for Florida Rep. Alan Grayson, who lost in the elections. | AP Photo
As many as 1,800 Democratic congressional staffers will soon lose their jobs, with layoffs hitting everyone from entry-level schedulers to six-figure committee lawyers in a mass exodus that will accompany the greatest congressional turnover in 70 years.

While results are still being tallied in some races, the damage is clear for Democratic staffers. At least 60 seats have been lost, meaning those offices need to start packing their boxes to clear out in December. POLITICO estimated the likely layoffs based on the average number of staffers per House office, as well as the Democratic committee staffing level, which will most likely be slashed in half now that Democrats will be the minority party.

“Tears were shed. We were absolutely disappointed that this is going to end,” said Todd Jurkowski, a spokesman for Florida Rep. Alan Grayson, who lost to Republican Daniel Webster. “We were good, and we were getting better.”

To be sure, most staffers come to Capitol Hill realizing their jobs are, by nature, ephemeral. Their vocations are tied to the whims of voters and the electability of their boss. But the 2010 wave will cause a giant turnover on Capitol Hill, where offices of Nov. 2 losers soon will fill with packing boxes and paper shredders will start humming. Most offices have to be empty by December to clear the way for the massive class of newcomers to be sworn into office in January.

Last week, there were “counselors” making the rounds in some Democratic offices to not only offer advice on résumés and job hunting but also help with the emotional aspect of the losses. One section of a packet handed out to staffers dealt with the stages of grief.

“It was a terrible shock,” said one longtime Democratic aide, a late-career congressional staffer. “The first thing I did was call my wife to give her the news. ... We’re not rich. I’m not as young as I used to be. I was not prepared for this personally; I was prepared for it happening to other people.” That concern is reverberating around the Hill — not only among congressional office staff but among House committee staff as well now that committees will be led by Republicans.

Omg, it happens. Do you think Firiono, Joe Miller, Sharon Angle, O'Donnell and the other GOPers who lost their seats are just as devestated? Grow up, it's the nature of the beast.

Both Cons and Libs know they will not always win, you don't see everyone scrambling to shred and pack. Jeezus, you'd think by listening to you and Politico people were ready to jump off the nearest ledge.

Grow up.

Omg, it happens. Do you think Firiono, Joe Miller, Sharon Angle, O'Donnell and the other GOPers who lost their seats are just as devestated? Grow up, it's the nature of the beast.

Both Cons and Libs know they will not always win, you don't see everyone scrambling to shred and pack. Jeezus, you'd think by listening to you and Politico people were ready to jump off the nearest ledge.

Grow up.

:lol::lol:
maybe you should tell that to the 1800 staffers who are shedding tears, and the author who wrote this dumb article.

Last edited:

Grow up.

maybe you should tell that to the 1800 staffers who are shedding tears, and the author who wrote this dumb article.

Your right. It is dumb.

I guess I would be shedding tears if I lost my cushy Govt job. Jeeze. They will now become part of the 9.6% of unemployed America.

Can't say I have much sympathy for em.

Grow up.

Your right. It is dumb.

I guess I would be shedding tears if I lost my cushy Govt job. Jeeze. They will now become part of the 9.6% of unemployed America.

Real life sure is a bitch ain't it??

Poor old Alan Grayson.

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fuckin hooooooooooooooooooo!

Mr. Grayson? I hope the door hits you squarely in the ass on the way out you creep.

Forum List

Back