On Marijuana Prohibition: "The government has drawn an arbitrary line..."

Thats true. It is based on historical patterns.
Your point?
My solution is to see all drug dealers get a fair trial and then summary execution. Would certainly cut down on the trade.

When it comes to hemp?

This nation's laws and policies are completely nuts.

The vested interests who benefit from these insane laws do so purely for monetary gain and population(political) control.

Is NORML still active? I met (and partied with) the founder Keith Stroup back in college. He asked me to form a campus chapter. How could I refuse LOL. Ah the memories. :D

it should have never been made illegal.

I did big reasearch paper on this in college.

You guys know why it was made illegal right? If not i'll give a super short summary.

1) You can make a crapload more paper from 1 acre of hemp over 20 years than you can from 1 acre of trees over 20 years.

2) Paper companies hired "doctors" and "experts" to do studies on marijuana as they feared hemp farmers putting them out of business

3) The result of these studies were things such as you hear in the movie called Reefer Madness.

Basically a company felt threatened by the hemp plant and demonized it successfully. Now its an illegal "narcotic"

At least in MA its a civil and not criminal offense to possess it.

Last edited:
This is one issue that seems to cross the political divide more than any...lol, it can't be all bad if the one thing we can agree on is sitting down and smoking a joint together.

US Government’s medical marijuana patent « Patients for Medical Cannabis

excerpts:

On the one hand, United States federal government officials have consistently denied that marijuana has any medical benefits. On the other, the government actually holds patents for the medical use of the plant.
Just check out US Patent 6630507 titled “Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants” which is assigned to The United States of America, as represented by the Department of Health and Human Services.
The patent claims that “Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.

The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and HIV dementia.”
The patent was obtained in October of 2003.

-----------

The US government may hold this patent, but that will not stop their officials from consistently denying the benefits of medical marijuana.

---------------

It makes you wonder why the U.S. government is so unwilling to admit that marijuana has some valid medical properties. It seems unlikely that there is a popularity issue, especially when 60% of Americans believe that doctors should be allowed to prescribe marijuana. Maybe there are some lobbyists or bigwig campaign contributors that would get a little upset.

Since one part of the government applied for the patent of medical marijuana, and another part of the government approved that patent, it seems logical to conclude that the federal government knows that marijuana has some valid medical properties.

Now the hard part. How do we get them to admit it?

it should have never been made illegal.

I did big reasearch paper on this in college.

You guys know why it was made illegal right? If not i'll give a super short summary.

1) You can make a crapload more paper from 1 acre of hemp over 20 years than you can from 1 acre of trees over 20 years.

2) Paper companies hired "doctors" and "experts" to do studies on marijuana as they feared hemp farmers putting them out of business

3) The result of these studies were things such as you hear in the movie called Reefer Madness.

Basically a company felt threatened by the hemp plant and demonized it successfully. Now its an illegal "narcotic"

At least in MA its a civil and not criminal offense to possess it.

Not arguing in favor of it, but you're right PLYMCO. It's the same as how the Tire Companies Lobbied against an idea years ago in the late 90's where used tires would be mixed in with the road pavement (asphalt) in order to triple the life of vechicle tires. The patent was purchased and buried by the greedy pukes. God forbid anyone save a buck, and most of all god forbid these carpetbaggers lose one. ~BH

It may have started with the paper industry, but now it is the Alcohol lobby that keeps marijuana illegal.

I hear yuh. That doesn't suprise me at all. When I was a teenager, everytime someone would get me stoned all I wanted to do was eat and go to sleep. It seemed to kill the desire to drink anymore. They don't mix well, I do remember that. ~BH

Forum List

Back