On Line Classes

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Have any of you taken college classes online?

I have to get 6 hours of credit by August 2010, and am wondering if I should venture in that arena, instead of taking a class from a college/university around here.

Just wondering what some options are, and what it entails. Thanks for any info!

If they are basically refresher classes covering stuff that you already know, then I think that online is well worth it...because then you can work at your own pace.

But if it is new stuff that you have to cover, probably sitting in class where you can ask questions and interact it probably better.

Cost may also be an issue.

That's my thoughts...

I am doing that right now. 3 of my classes are online. I am finding it a waste. (That is the only way these three classes were offered btw)

Even though the one physical class is taught but a really piss poor lecturer, being able to get an answer in class, or even for having him demonstrate his idea on the whiteboard is a huge help in getting information that the online system just doesn't provide.

Online is a great way to ingteract with the rest of the class, take tests, and turn in homework, but going to the class and seeing it in a classroom setting is the better way to go. Unless of course you are self disciplined to the nth degree anyway. Which I am not.

If I had a full time job and other responsibilities and was in my usual time crunch and just needed six hours of fluff classes to complete qualifications for a degree or whatever, I would do on line classes in a heartbeat. Admittedly some of these indeed are pretty bad so far as actually educating you, but then I don't think any of us would say that all classes educate us whether we sit in class or not. I have sat in some fantastic classes and still value what I learned. Others, I would have learned more useful stuff going to a Disney movie.

If the six hours are critical classes with stuff that you have to know, though, as others are counseling you, you'll probably benefit more sitting in the classroom than you will doing it on line.

I've taken a few classes online: business law, business statistics, a couple of economics classes, and a history class of some sort. I am the type of person that finds no use sitting in a classroom. In my experience, most professors' lectures are a waste of time. I learn better reading it and doing the problems/material myself.

I just finished my BSBA in accounting last semester, but I have to take 3 more classes in order to sit for my CPA. I am taking them independently, practically the same thing. I prefer this method.

I have to get 6 hours of credit by August 2010, and am wondering if I should venture in that arena, instead of taking a class from a college/university around here.

You can also take an online class from your local college usually, I took a math class that way. You don't have to go to the class but you can personally see your prof if you have any problems. I have also friends who took classes from an online college and really liked it.
I think it depends on how you learn and your study skills.

I think if you're using it to get an actual degree in something, or want to use it to bargain for more money in your line of work at some point you're better off sitting in class; it shows a little more ambition than just sitting at home.

If you're simply doing it to refresh knowledge you already have, or just get an extra certificate for kicks, then at home is fine.

I haven't taken, but have been reading about. Very good if you are self-disciplined, but in general very expensive for advanced degrees.

Education Forum?

:tongue:

Anyway I think in this month's issue of US News & WR there is an article about guys in the armed services being ripped off by online colleges. If I recall the article correctly, the online classes, and degrees were abriviated to the point that employers wouldn't accept them.

However I took one online class (with the option to go to the physical class) while getting my MBA from University of Houston, Clear Lake. It was A BITCH compared to other courses within the program. Much more Homework, reading writing, term paper.....shit it was the biggest pain in the ass....I was under the impression that it was set-up this way to encourage students to avoid online classes, but in retrospect, it might have just been the course, "Future Studies" rather than the usual MGMT, MKTG, FINC, or ECON.

So in summary, if you can go to class without to much disruption, then I recommend not taking courses online.

"Online" is a form of what used to be called distance education/open education. Instead of the programme being print-based it's now available online. The same factors that make a good de/oe programme are the same factors for online programmes. The single most important variable in that programme is student support. I don't mean simply an online tutor/lecturer/instructor who is available and responds quickly, although those are very important. I mean a programme that has really good inbuilt student support.

Having said that I don't know if I can help with specifics. But it sounds like you need a programme that has flexible entry requirements and may allow you to finish when you finish, instead of holding you to a week by week schedule. I don't know if money is an issue, but in addition to US based institutions why not think about Canada, the UK or even Australia. Some institutions may require country residency but I know some don't.

Just a few off the top of my head:

Athabasca University : Canada's Leader in Online & Distance Education

Distance Learning Courses and Adult Education - The Open University

https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal/oua/home

Forum List

Back