On July 2008 obama violated the logan act of 1799

Actually the law reads ANY citizen, not private citizen, but it also read without AUTHORIZATION. What it does not specify is what an AUTHORIZED agent may or may not speak about. And therein lies the problem in proving Obama broke this law. He did not.

Thanks for the correction, I would rep you for it, but I need to rep some other people first.

I do not believe there is any federal law that anyone, regardless of their trade, is exempt from.

Reread the law. IF you are an authorized agent of the USG this law does not apply to you. IF this were not so, how did Bill Clinton, as a private citizen, go and meet with the N Koreans to negotiate the release of those hostages? Oh, it's because he was authorized to do so.

So what you are saying is that any senator can go overseas and make decision that will affect the military without the ok of the President.

No , I think any citizen who is authorized by the USG can go discuss whatever they feel like, itis up to that government whether they do so or not. Now if you want to come back with "Obama offered him $1B in cash if he became President if the Iraqi agreed to such and such" then you have a case of bribery, what you DON'T have is a case of a violation of the Logan Act.

Do you think Bush sent obama to Iraq and have him to ask the Iraqi President to delay any troop withdrawal agreement until after the 2008 election?

Believe it or not, Bush was not the sum total of the government when he was president, any more than Obama is the sum total of the government now.

Actually the law reads ANY citizen, not private citizen, but it also read without AUTHORIZATION. What it does not specify is what an AUTHORIZED agent may or may not speak about. And therein lies the problem in proving Obama broke this law. He did not.

Thanks for the correction, I would rep you for it, but I need to rep some other people first.

Eh, just wanted to clarify because you generally come across as a guy who actually wants to understand what it is he's talking about, unlike many on here.

The logan act, are you joking man?

The problem is when you WANT to find fault you can always fine fault. The only problem with that is when you really do find something all it sounds like is noise, like all the rest of the bullshit.

I posted this earlier and it will also be good enough to reply to this post

obama was a law school graduate from harvard. He broke the law you would think he would have known better after all he was magna cum laude. Its the little things that shows how much a person knows.

Reread the law. IF you are an authorized agent of the USG this law does not apply to you. IF this were not so, how did Bill Clinton, as a private citizen, go and meet with the N Koreans to negotiate the release of those hostages? Oh, it's because he was authorized to do so.

So what you are saying is that any senator can go overseas and make decision that will affect the military without the ok of the President.

No , I think any citizen who is authorized by the USG can go discuss whatever they feel like, itis up to that government whether they do so or not. Now if you want to come back with "Obama offered him $1B in cash if he became President if the Iraqi agreed to such and such" then you have a case of bribery, what you DON'T have is a case of a violation of the Logan Act.

Bingo.

Eh, just wanted to clarify because you generally come across as a guy who actually wants to understand what it is he's talking about, unlike many on here.

:redface:

obama was a law school graduate from harvard. He broke the law you would think he would have known better after all he was magna cum laude. Its the little things that shows how much a person knows.

Do you think that, with all of the qualifications you just mentioned, he just might be aware of the law, and made sure the trip was official?

Do you think Bush sent obama to Iraq and have him to ask the Iraqi President to delay any troop withdrawal agreement until after the 2008 election?

Believe it or not, Bush was not the sum total of the government when he was president, any more than Obama is the sum total of the government now.

However with matters dealing with the military the commander and chief is the sum total, and must give the ok for anyone to make an agreement when dealing with the military. Did Bush give obama the ok? It does not make since to have a delay when lives are at stake

Do you think that, with all of the qualifications you just mentioned, he just might be aware of the law, and made sure the trip was official?

No it wasn't authorized.

However with matters dealing with the military the commander and chief is the sum total, and must give the ok for anyone to make an agreement when dealing with the military. Did Bush give obama the ok? It does not make since to have a delay when lives are at stake

Nice try, but still wrong. Go look up a Letter of Marque and Reprisal, which is in the Constitution, and gives Congress limited authority to order military action directly.

Nice try, but still wrong. Go look up a Letter of Marque and Reprisal, which is in the Constitution, and gives Congress limited authority to order military action directly.

Not applicable in this instance, and what's more the BigRedDork is completely off track anyway. Obama was not attempting to control the military. He was taking part in a political discussion about withdrawing from a country we are already in. That is certainly within the purview of a US Senator sent to the nation in question specifically to discuss such things.

Jesus BigRedRetard, why do you think he was sent there if not to discuss getting us out? To have tea ? Maybe a shopping trip? A round of golf?

Obama flew over Baghdad with Gen. David Petraeus, the top American military commander here, and met with Iraq's president, the leading minority-party figure and U.S. troops.
Somehow I'm positive that Obama took this trip with the blessing of the US government.

:lol:

Iraqi leader meets Obama, calls for U.S. troops out by end of 2010 | McClatchy

That would have been the Sectary of State job not a Senator.

Wait a minute, how could the Sec of State be allowed to do it?

Forum List

Back