On International Women's Day, Congress Debates Measure To Limit Reproductive Rights

1331179989066.jpg

Ugly Online Attacks on Barnard Women Ahead of Obama Commencement Speech

by Jesse Ellison

The president’s decision to speak at Barnard has triggered an onslaught of vitriol and name calling against its students that rivals Rush Limbaugh’s 'slut' insult of Sandra Fluke—and often comes from women.

On Saturday morning, after getting the news that President Obama would be giving the commencement address at Barnard College this May, graduating senior Marly Faherty did what her generation does: she went online, to a Columbia University blog called Bwog. But as she watched the comments pouring in, her excitement turned to shock, and then despair. “It was the first time I’d seen something get that nasty that quickly,” she told The Daily Beast. “It was like watching a train wreck. I couldn’t take my eyes off it.”

At first, some of the sniping was understandable. Obama, a graduate of Columbia College, has repeatedly spurned efforts to get him to speak at graduation. But then commenters started attacking Barnard, Columbia’s all-women’s sister school across the street, and accusing its students of academic inferiority and much, much worse. Using terms like “feminazis” and calling Barnard “Barnyard,” commenters said the school was just a back door to Columbia, and its students deserved neither Obama as a speaker nor affiliation with the university as a whole.

What was perhaps the most troubling to Faherty and others was that many of the nastiest comments came from women themselves. “Try using your Daddy's hard-earned cash in a respectable way if you want to be an ACTUAL role model for Women,” wrote one female Columbia student. “Unlike Barnyard financial leeches, I have NO intention of pursuing a Mrs. Degree. I came here to make myself successful, not try to plead at the knees of a Columbia boy to marry her.”

“While you guys were perfecting your deepthroating techniques and experimenting with scissoring and anal play, we were learning Calculus,” read one comment.​

More: Ugly Online Attacks on Barnard Women Ahead of Obama Commencement Speech - The Daily Beast

I'm not a woman, but the Republican war on women really pisses me off. And what pisses me off even more is the MEN who want to determine/legislate/restrict female health care and reproductive rights.

I'm not a woman, but the Republican war on women really pisses me off. And what pisses me off even more is the MEN who want to determine/legislate/restrict female health care and reproductive rights.

Would you be less pissed at a group of women with the same agenda??

Well, it's perfectly understandable that you could be taken for a woman, seeing as you're such a sandy vag whiny little bitch....And there is no republican "war on women", you sandy vag whiny little bitch....Nobody is determining/restricting/legislating what women may or may not do, viz. contraception.

Now, go take a fucking Midol.

Like you give a shit about women..If you did you wouldn't push so hard for abortions

Like you give a shit about women..If you did you wouldn't push so hard for abortions

Roe v. Wade gives that legal choice to women, but the Medieval Republicans don't like that law, so they try to chip it away through back doors.

Roe v. Wade gives that legal choice to women, but the Medieval Republicans don't like that law, so they try to chip it away through back doors.

Didn't you mean to say "back alleys"??:eusa_whistle:

lol, medieval Republicans..

you spend too much time on thinkprogress..

No, I usually "think" before I post. But since you mentioned it, I certainly don't wish to see women returning to the old days of back alleys, coat hangers, and Lysol for contraception. Do you?

No, I usually "think" before I post. But since you mentioned it, I certainly don't wish to see women returning to the old days of back alleys, coat hangers, and Lysol for contraception. Do you?

I've never advocated for outlawing adult women receiving abortions, but thanks for your interest.

what difference? they both accomplished the DEATH of their babies...
which you gleefully support

I suggest you compare the history/statistics of abortions before and after Roe v. Wade.

I suggest you compare the history/statistics of abortions before and after Roe v. Wade.

I suggest you go have one then you can come back an crow about how much you care for all the women rights to kill their children

Forum List

Back