On election day? No booze for you!

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
If your candidate wins and you want to celebrate, or if your candidate loses and you want to drown your sorrows, if you live in the following states, forget about having a drink on Election day.

Let's say the 2012 campaign—the flood of attack ads, the torrent of junk mail, the mere trickle of inspiring proposals—has you reaching for an Election Day drink. Tough luck, voters in Kentucky and South Carolina: No booze for you!

Eighty years after Prohibition's repeal, those states are the only ones holding on to bans on serving alcohol in restaurants and bars or selling it in liquor stores on Election Day, according to the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States. DISCUS is, as you can guess, not a huge fan.

"The Election Day sales ban is a relic of the Prohibition era when saloons sometimes served as polling stations," according to DISCUS Vice President Ben Jenkins. "Repealing the ban on Election Day alcohol sales would provide consumers with much-needed convenience—whether they're celebrating election returns or mourning them." According to DISCUS, five states—Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Utah and West Virginia—have eased similar restrictions since 2008. The original bans, many of which date to Prohibition, also reflected a desire to curb the buying of votes with booze. Kentucky has been considering lifting the restrictions.

South Carolina, though, isn't messing around, according to its laws on alcohol:

"It is unlawful to sell alcoholic liquors on Sunday except as authorized by law, on statewide election days, or during periods proclaimed by the Governor in the interest of law and order or public morals and decorum."

Breaking that law is a misdemeanor offense. A first conviction can carry a fine of $200 or 60 days imprisonment. That goes up to a fine of $1,000 or imprisonment for one year on second offense. Caught and convicted a third time? The fine rises to $2,000 and jail time goes up to two years.

Sorry, Kentucky, South Carolina: No booze with your ballots | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

If your candidate wins and you want to celebrate, or if your candidate loses and you want to drown your sorrows, if you live in the following states, forget about having a drink on Election day.

Let's say the 2012 campaign—the flood of attack ads, the torrent of junk mail, the mere trickle of inspiring proposals—has you reaching for an Election Day drink. Tough luck, voters in Kentucky and South Carolina: No booze for you!

Eighty years after Prohibition's repeal, those states are the only ones holding on to bans on serving alcohol in restaurants and bars or selling it in liquor stores on Election Day, according to the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States. DISCUS is, as you can guess, not a huge fan.

"The Election Day sales ban is a relic of the Prohibition era when saloons sometimes served as polling stations," according to DISCUS Vice President Ben Jenkins. "Repealing the ban on Election Day alcohol sales would provide consumers with much-needed convenience—whether they're celebrating election returns or mourning them." According to DISCUS, five states—Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Utah and West Virginia—have eased similar restrictions since 2008. The original bans, many of which date to Prohibition, also reflected a desire to curb the buying of votes with booze. Kentucky has been considering lifting the restrictions.

South Carolina, though, isn't messing around, according to its laws on alcohol:

"It is unlawful to sell alcoholic liquors on Sunday except as authorized by law, on statewide election days, or during periods proclaimed by the Governor in the interest of law and order or public morals and decorum."

Breaking that law is a misdemeanor offense. A first conviction can carry a fine of $200 or 60 days imprisonment. That goes up to a fine of $1,000 or imprisonment for one year on second offense. Caught and convicted a third time? The fine rises to $2,000 and jail time goes up to two years.

Sorry, Kentucky, South Carolina: No booze with your ballots | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Most people in the two states you mention that are smart enough to vote are also smart enough to pick up a six pak on Monday.

Jesus Christ, remind me never to work on a campaign in Kentucky or South Carolina then...

Getting shitfaced on e-day night is the only way to properly end a campaign.

if you can't go one day without alcohol, you need help.

I am glad I never started that bad habit of drinking

Where i live all alcoholsales bars restaurants end at midnight friday for sunday elections. Sales reopen on monday am.

So the super markets make a killing on friday and restaurant employees lose two days wages.

Alcoholics always make sure they are stocked up and anyone else can buy something today and hopefully can make it till Tuesday without cracking the seal on the bottle. If Obama wins, I'll need a sedative because I will truly be afraid for this country.

if you can't go one day without alcohol, you need help.

I am glad I never started that bad habit of drinking

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhaTQseKTQ]Looks Like I Picked the Wrong Week - YouTube[/ame]

Interesting that the conservatives would take the tack of telling people they're drunks if they can't skip one day without a drink.

I was thinking it should go more towards the pointing out of those states being still locked in the 1800's.

But then again, isn't that what the GOP wants to do, rewind the clock and send us back to better times?

Alcoholics always make sure they are stocked up and anyone else can buy something today and hopefully can make it till Tuesday without cracking the seal on the bottle. If Obama wins, I'll need a sedative because I will truly be afraid for this country.

So.............you're going to follow the messiah Rush Limbaugh and start popping pharmacuticals?

Is oxycotin your first choice, or is it something else?

Jesus Christ, remind me never to work on a campaign in Kentucky or South Carolina then...

Getting shitfaced on e-day night is the only way to properly end a campaign.

So hit the packie for your 30-packs on Monday.

Yeah, but drinking in your hotel room isn't as much fun as getting trashed at the election night party at a bar. There's almost always food (and if you're really lucky, an open bar), and you get to hang out with all the people you've spent the last 6 months working 20-hour days with.

Sometimes, you even get laid. I met my girlfriend at an election night party 5 years ago.

New Topics

Forum List

Back