OMG Valerie Jarrett: Unemployment Stimulates the Economy

It's pretty interesting that everyone seems to just leave out the word "insurance" from this discussion.

Unemployment doesn't stimulate the economy.

Unemployment Insurance does.

Simple fact.

Jobless benefits. They are not referring to Unemployment Insurance at all.

Last summer, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney lectured Wall Street Journal reporter Laura Meckler for not knowing it "as part of the entrance exam" that jobless benefits are "one of the most direct ways to infuse money directly into the economy because people who are unemployed and obviously aren't running a paycheck are going to spend the money that they get."

Carney contended that "every place that that money is spent has added business, and that creates growth and income for businesses that leads them to decisions about jobs, more hiring."

Jobless benefits.

This thread is a classic example of USMB Right Wingnut Brigade tactics.

They take a statement and distort it in an effort to make a dishonestly framed argument. They then ignore all posts that shinee a light on their bullshit and/or respond with ad homs.

You are, quite possibly, the biggest HACK I have ever run across.

"Accurate statement"???
:cuckoo:

Let's run with this notion for a bit, shall we?

Giving someone an unemployment check means that we're handing them money.
Handing people money, according to Dem-bulbs, stimulates the economy.

How about handing working people more of their own money, back to them, by not taxing the shit out of us on every-fucking-thing????

It's pretty interesting that everyone seems to just leave out the word "insurance" from this discussion.

Unemployment doesn't stimulate the economy.

Unemployment Insurance does.

Simple fact.

Jobless benefits. They are not referring to Unemployment Insurance at all.

Last summer, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney lectured Wall Street Journal reporter Laura Meckler for not knowing it "as part of the entrance exam" that jobless benefits are "one of the most direct ways to infuse money directly into the economy because people who are unemployed and obviously aren't running a paycheck are going to spend the money that they get."

Carney contended that "every place that that money is spent has added business, and that creates growth and income for businesses that leads them to decisions about jobs, more hiring."

Jobless benefits.

Cloward-Piven anyone??

:eusa_whistle:

I don't know how many their are, but I've already provided the writers of Moody's Analytical.

Feel free to provide an opposing view.

You don't know jack shit is what it comes down to. There aren't any. The article was an opinion piece by Mark Zandi, who is a progressive. The article is not from "Moody's" but from Moody's Analytics. Not the same thing.
On Zandi
RealClearMarkets - Mark Zandi: Always Quoted, Often Wrong, Never In Doubt

Blog: Mark Zandi: Never Right, Yet Still Trusted

Zandi is the most wrong person on the economy out there.
But the brain-dead progressives here cannot distinguish between fact and opinion. They cannot read and analyze. And when someone like Frank points out the obvious--that decreasing unemployment cannot increase unemployment--they are lost. No response other than to call names and deflect.

So, you complain about something being an Op-Ed, then provide a bunch of Op-Eds to attempt to prove your point? I noticed you haven't provided an "Op-Ed" from a respected economist that disagrees with Zandi's point, also.

When someone like Frank points out the "obvious" like "decreasing unemployment cannot increase unemployment", it's irrelevant, because that's not what's being discussed.

No one is claiming that it's better for someone to be on UI than actually be unemployed. We're arguing that it's more stimulating to the economy for someone who's unemployed to receive temporary assistance rather than not. People are going to be unemployed whether or not they're getting money from UI.
The blogs point out Zandi's history of getting things totally wrong, providing perspective.
So in your mind paying people not to work is more stimulative of the economy than not paying them not to work?
Is that your final answer? Really?

You understand you are not quoting "Moody's", right?

Forgive my imprecise language. I'm quoting Mark Zandi, who is the chief economist of Moody's Analytics (The Dismal Scientist: Economist Biographies). Moodys Analytics is the subsidiary of Moody's Investors Service (the latter commonly referred to as Moody's). Moody's itself would be an inferior source, since it focuses on bond rating and leaves this type of analysis to Moody's Analytics.

OK, so you realize now that is an opinion piece, not proof of anything, right?

This thread is a classic example of USMB Right Wingnut Brigade tactics.

They take a statement and distort it in an effort to make a dishonestly framed argument. They then ignore all posts that shinee a light on their bullshit and/or respond with ad homs.

Which statement is being distorted and how?

I have no words except heaven help us.::eusa_pray: What a freaking economic policy!!!

White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett has adopted a stance on unemployment that is sure to infuriate many, arguing that it stimulates the economy because people who receive unemployment checks are going out and spending them, reports The Weekly Standard.

Here's another gem

“People who receive that unemployment check go out and spend it and help stimulate the economy, so that’s healthy as well,”

Valerie Jarrett: 'People Who Receive that Unemployment Check Go Out and Spend It and Help Stimulate the Economy' | The Weekly Standard

That economic genius Nancy Pelosi said the exact same thing a year ago. I actually spewed coffee listening to what passed for smarts among Democrats. And then laughed my ass off at the liberals' insecure insistence it was actually conservatives who are the dumb ones! ROFLMAO. Come on November.

Turning formerly working people into indigents isn't going to solve our economic woes, either.

Austerity is NOT the solution to this economy.

And the failure of that theory is ALREADY evident in GREECE, incidently.

Their AUSTERITY plan is shrinking (not growing) Greece's economy.

Greece's GDP fell 7% last year.

FAith does not trump FACT, kiddie.

Valerie Jarrett the original Obama fluffer
will be happy to hear that her insurance
will cover most of the cost of both her knee replacements.

I think the reason there are so many Zombie movies and shows is to show us how dangerous Obama Followers have become. They have no ability to think, they simply act as instructed.

I fear for my country

The latest Democratic doublespeak is that "unemployment (insurance) stimulates the economy". So under this bizzarroland economic theory the best economy would be one with a 100% unemployment rate.

Moreove why is Obama bragging about "lowering" unemployment to 8.3%, isn't a decrease bad? Wont it lead to higher unemployment?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back