OMG! I like Bernie's idea for free college, with a few tweeks...

Do you support a Wall Street "transaction tax" to help fund college and job training?

• No, I like the current student loan system

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Yes, I like the idea of stopping high speed traders and funding college and job training

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
1. How is it stealing? By not waiting for the stock to appreciate like the rest of the investors. By using super-computers to do billions of buys/sells in nanoseconds and stealing $100's of millions of stock value from long term investors. That's how.

2. The steps are described in detail in the article, by buying/selling stock in nanoseconds. A minimal tax would make that unprofitable.

3. Yes they did steal from your shares, who the fuck do you think they took their profit from? (all investors)

4. Point being that Bernie's proposal kills two birds, it funds higher education and job training, and helps stock investors by stopping high speed computer traders

How is it stealing? By not waiting for the stock to appreciate like the rest of the investors.

I can sell my stock 5 years after I buy it, 5 minutes after, 5 microseconds after.
None of those options steals a penny from you.

By using super-computers to do billions of buys/sells in nanoseconds and stealing $100's of millions of stock value from long term investors.

You still haven't shown how the speed of their computers steals a penny from me.
Or walked me through a typical trade. How do they "skim". Or don't you know?

A minimal tax would make that unprofitable.

And wouldn't do a thing to help me or my QQQs.

Yes they did steal from your shares, who the fuck do you think they took their profit from?

You're lying, because a soundbite is easier than proof.

Point being that Bernie's proposal kills two birds, it funds higher education and job training

You never said how much this tax would raise for the government.

and helps stock investors by stopping high speed computer traders

Since I'm not competing against these traders and held my position for years, they don't help or hurt me.

How is it stealing? By not waiting for the stock to appreciate like the rest of the investors.
I can sell my stock 5 years after I buy it, 5 minutes after, 5 microseconds after. None of those options steals a penny from you.
I agree for the 5-years, but not the 5-minutes or 5-microseconds. The purpose of the stock market is to give capital to companies to grow and generate more profit. The short term high-speed traders don't add value, they steal investment capital.

By using super-computers to do billions of buys/sells in nanoseconds and stealing $100's of millions of stock value from long term investors. You still haven't shown how the speed of their computers steals a penny from me. Or walked me through a typical trade. How do they "skim". Or don't you know? If you don't understand the bold answer above, you need to do your own research on high-speed trading.

A minimal transaction tax would make high-speed trading unprofitable. And wouldn't do a thing to help me or my QQQs.
A minimal transaction tax would prevent the high-speed traders from robbing you blind. DUH.

Yes they did steal from your shares, who the fuck do you think they took their profit from? You're lying, because a soundbite is easier than proof. Denial is not a refutation. Who do you think they stole the money from? (ans: investors)

You never said how much this tax would raise for the government. The transaction tax should raise about $200b a year.

Bernie Sanders: I Will Cancel All $1.6 Trillion Of Your Student Loan Debt
"Sanders will fund his student loan forgiveness plan through a new tax on financial transactions, which he expects could raise more than $2 trillion over the next 10 years. The tax plan will include a 0.5% fee on all stock trades, a 0.1% fee on all bond trades and a 0.005% fee on all derivatives trades."

Since I'm not competing against these traders and held my position for years, they don't help or hurt me.
If they steal hundreds of millions of dollars in stock value, they are taking some of your money. They don't add value, they don't invest, they skim money using super-computers, DUH.

The short term high-speed traders don't add value, they steal investment capital.

First they stole from me, now they steal from the stock issuer?

By using super-computers to do billions of buys/sells in nanoseconds and stealing $100's of millions of stock value from long term investors.

From your Mother Jones article.....

Designed by the physics nerds and math geniuses known as quants, these programs exploit minute movements and long-term patterns in the markets, buying a stock at $1.00 and selling it at $1.0001, for example.

How did the above example steal stock value from my long-term position?

If you don't understand the bold answer above

No info in your "answer".

A minimal transaction tax would prevent the high-speed traders from robbing you blind.

Still no evidence I've been robbed.

Denial is not a refutation.

Your soundbite isn't evidence

Who do you think they stole the money from?

Still waiting for proof they stole from anyone.

which he expects could raise more than $2 trillion over the next 10 years.

Expects? He expects $200 billion a year?
Expectations from someone who never held a private sector job? LOL!

Goldman made about $32 billion last year.
Morgan Stanley about $8 billion.
JPM about $104 billion.
Bank of America about $89 billion.
Blackstone Group about $6 billion

5 of the largest firms out there, feel free to add any I didn't list, and their combined profits
were about $240 billion. And this moronic tax is going to raise $200 billion? LOL!

The tax plan will include a 0.5% fee on all stock trades

Again, from your article.

buying a stock at $1.00 and selling it at $1.0001, for example.

Taxing the buy and the sale at $0.005 prevents either trade from occurring.
Total tax collected, zero.

If they steal hundreds of millions of dollars in stock value, they are taking some of your money.

Fucking prove it already. Repeating your fact free claim isn't proof.

From your Mother Jones article.....Designed by the physics nerds and math geniuses known as quants, these programs exploit minute movements and long-term patterns in the markets, buying a stock at $1.00 and selling it at $1.0001, for example.
How did the above example steal stock value from my long-term position? Any money that they skimmed lowered your stock's price/value. They did not provide any investment capital, yet took profit. That to me is equivalent to stealing from long term investors.

which Bernie expects to raise more than $2 trillion over the next 10 years.
5 of the largest firms out there, feel free to add any I didn't list, and their combined profits
were about $240 billion. And this moronic tax is going to raise $200 billion? LOL!
U.S. stock trading volume hit a three-year low in 2017 amid near-absent volatility
Average "low" trading volume per day is 6.5b shares x average stock price of $40/sh x 0.005 tax = $1.3b per day just for stocks
The transactions are measured on stocks, bonds, options contracts, futures contracts, derivatives, and commodities.
Lots of money generated even if the volume slows due to the tax.

Again, from your article. buying a stock at $1.00 and selling it at $1.0001, for example.
OMG, the $1.00 stock price was just an example. See tax calculation above.

Any money that they skimmed lowered your stock's price/value.

Ummm….the bid/ask spread was $0.999/$1.001
They traded at $1.00 and $1.0001 instead. How did they lower my stock price?

That to me is equivalent to stealing from long term investors.

Yes, I've noticed your ignorance of markets.

Average "low" trading volume per day is 6.5b shares x average stock price of $40/sh x 0.005 tax = $1.3b per day just for stocks

Because a $1.3 billion a day tax will have no impact on trading.....thanks, I was looking for proof of your idiocy.

Ok. $40.00 per share times 100 shares a trade..... $20.00 per trade.
$20.00 per trade times zero trades.....yup, still zero tax collected.

How did they lower my stock price?
ANY money the High-Frequency traders skimmed off the stock market is money that should have added to the value of stocks. You're apparently to stupid to know when you're being scammed. I'm bummed that the SEC allows it, so the laws apparently need to be changed. A transaction tax is a good solution. Here is a list of high-frequency traders, their profit is your loss: An introduction to the HFT industry and its key players - Planet Compliance

Because a $1.3 billion a day tax will have no impact on trading.....thanks, I was looking for proof of your idiocy.
That tax will be offset by a reduction in high-frequency trading and better stock appreciation. If it didn't work all over the world you might have an argument. Financial transaction tax - Wikipedia
Revenue Estimate for US Financial Transaction Tax
Tax base Tax rate Revenue estimate (US$ billion)
US stocks/equities .5% 108–217
US bonds .02% 26–52
US forex spot .01% 8–16
US futures .02% 7–14
US options .5% 4–8
US swaps .015% 23–46
US total 177–354 (US$ billion)

$20.00 per trade times zero trades.....yup, still zero tax collected
Why times zero trades? A round trip buy/sell nets $40 in tax. For long term investors like you and me its nothing, but for those that buy/sell frequently it could affect their profit margin slightly. It would absolutely hammer high-frequency traders.

I can sell my stock 5 years after I buy it, 5 minutes after, 5 microseconds after.
None of those options steals a penny from you.

You still haven't shown how the speed of their computers steals a penny from me.
Or walked me through a typical trade. How do they "skim". Or don't you know?

A minimal tax would make that unprofitable.

And wouldn't do a thing to help me or my QQQs.

Yes they did steal from your shares, who the fuck do you think they took their profit from?

You're lying, because a soundbite is easier than proof.

Point being that Bernie's proposal kills two birds, it funds higher education and job training

You never said how much this tax would raise for the government.

and helps stock investors by stopping high speed computer traders

I can sell my stock 5 years after I buy it, 5 minutes after, 5 microseconds after. None of those options steals a penny from you.
I agree for the 5-years, but not the 5-minutes or 5-microseconds. The purpose of the stock market is to give capital to companies to grow and generate more profit. The short term high-speed traders don't add value, they steal investment capital.

By using super-computers to do billions of buys/sells in nanoseconds and stealing $100's of millions of stock value from long term investors. You still haven't shown how the speed of their computers steals a penny from me. Or walked me through a typical trade. How do they "skim". Or don't you know? If you don't understand the bold answer above, you need to do your own research on high-speed trading.

A minimal transaction tax would make high-speed trading unprofitable. And wouldn't do a thing to help me or my QQQs.
A minimal transaction tax would prevent the high-speed traders from robbing you blind. DUH.

Yes they did steal from your shares, who the fuck do you think they took their profit from? You're lying, because a soundbite is easier than proof. Denial is not a refutation. Who do you think they stole the money from? (ans: investors)

You never said how much this tax would raise for the government. The transaction tax should raise about $200b a year.

"Sanders will fund his student loan forgiveness plan through a new tax on financial transactions, which he expects could raise more than $2 trillion over the next 10 years. The tax plan will include a 0.5% fee on all stock trades, a 0.1% fee on all bond trades and a 0.005% fee on all derivatives trades."

If they steal hundreds of millions of dollars in stock value, they are taking some of your money. They don't add value, they don't invest, they skim money using super-computers, DUH.

The short term high-speed traders don't add value, they steal investment capital.

Designed by the physics nerds and math geniuses known as quants, these programs exploit minute movements and long-term patterns in the markets, buying a stock at $1.00 and selling it at $1.0001, for example.

A minimal transaction tax would prevent the high-speed traders from robbing you blind.

JPM about $104 billion.

If they steal hundreds of millions of dollars in stock value, they are taking some of your money.

From your Mother Jones article.....Designed by the physics nerds and math geniuses known as quants, these programs exploit minute movements and long-term patterns in the markets, buying a stock at $1.00 and selling it at $1.0001, for example.
How did the above example steal stock value from my long-term position? Any money that they skimmed lowered your stock's price/value. They did not provide any investment capital, yet took profit. That to me is equivalent to stealing from long term investors.

U.S. stock trading volume hit a three-year low in 2017 amid near-absent volatility
The transactions are measured on stocks, bonds, options contracts, futures contracts, derivatives, and commodities.

Again, from your article. buying a stock at $1.00 and selling it at $1.0001, for example.

ANY money the High-Frequency traders skimmed off the stock market is money that should have added to the value of stocks. You're apparently to stupid to know when you're being scammed. I'm bummed that the SEC allows it, so the laws apparently need to be changed. A transaction tax is a good solution. Here is a list of high-frequency traders, their profit is your loss: An introduction to the HFT industry and its key players - Planet Compliance

That tax will be offset by a reduction in high-frequency trading and better stock appreciation. If it didn't work all over the world you might have an argument. Financial transaction tax - Wikipedia
US bonds .02% 26–52
US forex spot .01% 8–16
US futures .02% 7–14
US options .5% 4–8
US swaps .015% 23–46

Why times zero trades? A round trip buy/sell nets $40 in tax. For long term investors like you and me its nothing, but for those that buy/sell frequently it could affect their profit margin slightly. It would absolutely hammer high-frequency traders.

ANY money the High-Frequency traders skimmed off the stock market is money that should have added to the value of stocks

You just won't prove your claim.

Why times zero trades?

QQQ is currently trading $185.84-$185.85.
I can buy 100 shares at Schwab for $4.95 commission.
Citadel is a market maker in the ETF. How much are they "skimming" off me?

JPM about $104 billion.

US bonds .02% 26–52
US forex spot .01% 8–16
US futures .02% 7–14
US options .5% 4–8
US swaps .015% 23–46

ANY money the High-Frequency traders skimmed off the stock market is money that should have added to the value of stocks

You just won't prove your claim. $20.00 per trade times zero trades.....yup, still zero tax collected

Why times zero trades?

OK, I think I know why we were always talking past each other. You were looking at your stock/ETF trades as the target for the skimming by the high-frequency traders, and how Schwab and Citadel were skimming off your trades. I agree, Schwab and Citadel are NOT skimming off your trades.

High-Frequency Traders have a separate cottage industry using their super-computers and proprietary algorithms to buy and sell the stocks that you and others are trading nano-seconds after you buy or after you sell to beat the official stock prices and make money on the small differences in stock prices occurring during the buys and sells. They do not "invest capital" they do not add to the stock value since they execute buys and sells almost instantaneously. All they do is skim money off the value of stocks during volatility in prices.
High-Frequency traders are more like day-traders except they use super-computers and the stocks are only held for micro-seconds. They probably buy/sell thousands of times more shares than day-traders. A small transaction tax would stop them cold.

Cancel student loan debt so the banks can get their money back faster and then the soylennials can have more money to pay taxes so we can have more money to give the banks when they need another bail out

JPM about $104 billion.

US bonds .02% 26–52
US forex spot .01% 8–16
US futures .02% 7–14
US options .5% 4–8
US swaps .015% 23–46

You just won't prove your claim. $20.00 per trade times zero trades.....yup, still zero tax collected

Why times zero trades?

OK, I think I know why we were always talking past each other. You were looking at your stock/ETF trades as the target for the skimming by the high-frequency traders, and how Schwab and Citadel were skimming off your trades. I agree, Schwab and Citadel are NOT skimming off your trades.

High-Frequency Traders have a separate cottage industry using their super-computers and proprietary algorithms to buy and sell the stocks that you and others are trading nano-seconds after you buy or after you sell to beat the official stock prices and make money on the small differences in stock prices occurring during the buys and sells. They do not "invest capital" they do not add to the stock value since they execute buys and sells almost instantaneously. All they do is skim money off the value of stocks during volatility in prices.
High-Frequency traders are more like day-traders except they use super-computers and the stocks are only held for micro-seconds. They probably buy/sell thousands of times more shares than day-traders. A small transaction tax would stop them cold.

You were looking at your stock/ETF trades as the target for the skimming by the high-frequency traders

Why wouldn't QQQs be a target? Why isn't Citadel skimming?
As a market maker, they can execute thousands of trades a second, buying at $185.84 and selling at $185.85.

I actually like the funding mechanism for Bernie's "free college" plan, but with a few tweaks...
Sanders Panders: Four Flaws In Bernie Sanders' Higher Education Plan

1. Lets say that the 1st 2-years of college, including community colleges and trade schools are free, with an emphasis on job training for filling real jobs that need workers.

2. The 2nd 2-years funding are "means tested" and also "grade tested" so that marginal students are weeded out and the wealthy don't need help. Also, "careers that are needed" get more funding than careers that have poor job prospects.

3. Grad school funding is for the brightest and filling needed jobs, such as doctors.

4. The colleges need to control costs and do not get funding for any students that flunk out. Price controls may need to be imposed so that colleges use their "endowment funds" to help students.

What's the downside? Hopefully stopping the high speed traders that don't "invest" but simply skim money from our 401k's and IRA's.
Since it is the colleges and universities that wish politicians would give free education, then let the teachers and faculty work for free. See how far that "free" really goes then.

The problems we're trying to solve are:
1. Unburden college kids from outrageous student loans to get a college education
2. Provide community college education, i.e. specific job training for existing job openings matching job skills with job opportunities. (Instead of kids with worthless degrees and student loans with no job opportunities)
3. The states will need to communicate with industry to guide students into the jobs of the future, even considering the impacts of robotics on the job market.

Solving these problems matches Bernie and Trump better than any other. Both have proposed these types of initiatives. Will it happen? Probably not. Unless its part of a mega-comprehensive legislative deal.
Want to resolve the issue of college debt? start sending kids into the military. After 4 years of service they not only have skills but the GI bill, that enables those young adults education for free.

Everyone into the military for 4-years after high school?!
Can you imagine the suicide rate for those weenies?

images

Cancel student loan debt so the banks can get their money back faster and then the soylennials can have more money to pay taxes so we can have more money to give the banks when they need another bail out

Cancel student loan debt so the banks can get their money back faster

If the debt is canceled, how are banks getting their money back faster?

The governor of Rhode Island has a better plan 3rd and 4th years are free. To ensure you have serious people .
Snicker.....you said, "free"....It ain't free, not even close.
nothing on the planet is free, someone pays somewhere.

Amazon does it best, Free shipping for 99 dollars a year. hahahahahahahahaaha no shit.

US bonds .02% 26–52
US forex spot .01% 8–16
US futures .02% 7–14
US options .5% 4–8
US swaps .015% 23–46

Why times zero trades?

You were looking at your stock/ETF trades as the target for the skimming by the high-frequency traders

As a market maker, they can execute thousands of trades a second, buying at $185.84 and selling at $185.85.
After re-reading the following link Citadel is an HFT, however, they have 3 business units, so I can't say if they skim or not, but they got caught at last once.
An introduction to the HFT industry and its key players - Planet Compliance
"Citadel Securities agreed to pay $22.6m with US markets regulators to settle charges that claimed it had misled customers over the prices they were getting for some of their deals."

US bonds .02% 26–52
US forex spot .01% 8–16
US futures .02% 7–14
US options .5% 4–8
US swaps .015% 23–46

Why times zero trades?

After re-reading the following link Citadel is an HFT, however, they have 3 business units, so I can't say if they skim or not, but they got caught at last once.
An introduction to the HFT industry and its key players - Planet Compliance
"Citadel Securities agreed to pay $22.6m with US markets regulators to settle charges that claimed it had misled customers over the prices they were getting for some of their deals."

so I can't say if they skim or not,

Some buys at $185.84 can be skimming while others aren't?

That's a complicated world you live in.

I once was the owner of a Type C corporation. A Type C corporation pays zero income tax but the owner does pay income tax as a normal American Citizen. A Type C corporation has no liability if an employee screws up.. If the employee screws up and kills a client then that is all on the employee and would not touch me.

i'm speaking for 45 million americans who have this debt, yes, like i said, 45 people in total, my friends!

Instead of wiping out student debt, they should start by removing all interest on student debt.

Trump's children are not the ones who have student loans. this is a problem for the poor, not for the rich. america doesn't suffer from scarcity but from greed. we bailed out wall street, its time they bail out US.

Trump's children are not the ones who have student loans. this is a problem for the poor, not for the rich. america doesn't suffer from scarcity but from greed. we bailed out wall street, its time they bail out US.
poor people don't get loans. you must be confused. they can't pay them back.

poor people don't get loans. you must be confused. they can't pay them back.

Give poor people one million dollars each and all of the poor people will be broke again next year asking for a bigger handout. The Intelligence Curve dooms poor people.

we bailed out wall street,

Wall Street paid us back, with interest.

Time for these deadbeat college borrowers to do the same.

Forum List

Back