OMG! I like Bernie's idea for free college, with a few tweeks...

Do you support a Wall Street "transaction tax" to help fund college and job training?

• No, I like the current student loan system

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Yes, I like the idea of stopping high speed traders and funding college and job training

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
I actually like the funding mechanism for Bernie's "free college" plan, but with a few tweaks...
Sanders Panders: Four Flaws In Bernie Sanders' Higher Education Plan

1. Lets say that the 1st 2-years of college, including community colleges and trade schools are free, with an emphasis on job training for filling real jobs that need workers.

2. The 2nd 2-years funding are "means tested" and also "grade tested" so that marginal students are weeded out and the wealthy don't need help. Also, "careers that are needed" get more funding than careers that have poor job prospects.

3. Grad school funding is for the brightest and filling needed jobs, such as doctors.

4. The colleges need to control costs and do not get funding for any students that flunk out. Price controls may need to be imposed so that colleges use their "endowment funds" to help students.

What's the downside? Hopefully stopping the high speed traders that don't "invest" but simply skim money from our 401k's and IRA's.

There is actually a 5th flaw in all of their plans...

They all keep telling folks they will eliminate student debt and make college tuition free. I just want to know who is going to foot the
bill for books, room and board?

The same people that foot the bill for roads, police, fire department, k-12 education...etc...etc...

They shouldn't be paying for someones education. You know that.

I actually like the funding mechanism for Bernie's "free college" plan, but with a few tweaks...

1. Lets say that the 1st 2-years of college, including community colleges and trade schools are free, with an emphasis on job training for filling real jobs that need workers.

2. The 2nd 2-years funding are "means tested" and also "grade tested" so that marginal students are weeded out and the wealthy don't need help. Also, "careers that are needed" get more funding than careers that have poor job prospects.

3. Grad school funding is for the brightest and filling needed jobs, such as doctors.

4. The colleges need to control costs and do not get funding for any students that flunk out. Price controls may need to be imposed so that colleges use their "endowment funds" to help students.

What's the downside? Hopefully stopping the high speed traders that don't "invest" but simply skim money from our 401k's and IRA's.

They all keep telling folks they will eliminate student debt and make college tuition free. I just want to know who is going to foot the

The same people that foot the bill for roads, police, fire department, k-12 education...etc...etc...

Oh goody, more money for nothing.

Its not money for nothing, its money for schooling or training to get a decent job.

No kidding, you must live in a state that actually uses their money to repair roads.

Hopefully stopping the high speed traders that don't "invest" but simply skim money from our 401k's and IRA's.

Can you explain how a high speed trader skims money from my 401K? Thanks.

High speed traders "steal from our 401k's" by skimming money from the pie instead of growing the pie. The high speed traders do nothing to help the stock market valuations or other long-term investors. If they "bought and held" stock like the rest of us it would help everyone. I'm not a fan of short-sellers either. A small transaction tax hopefully makes high speed trading unprofitable.

High speed traders "steal from our 401k's" by skimming money from the pie instead of growing the pie.

QQQs are sitting in my 401K. How does a high speed trader skim from my 401K pie?

How about everyone be responsible adults and pay for their own education?

Hopefully stopping the high speed traders that don't "invest" but simply skim money from our 401k's and IRA's.

High speed traders "steal from our 401k's" by skimming money from the pie instead of growing the pie. The high speed traders do nothing to help the stock market valuations or other long-term investors. If they "bought and held" stock like the rest of us it would help everyone. I'm not a fan of short-sellers either. A small transaction tax hopefully makes high speed trading unprofitable.

High speed traders "steal from our 401k's" by skimming money from the pie instead of growing the pie.

QQQs are sitting in my 401K. How does a high speed trader skim from my 401K pie?

You need to research WTF high speed traders actually do. They do nothing to help the stock market appreciate. Your QQQs would be worth more without the high speed traders stealing value and making the dips deeper. A small transaction tax would reduce the attractiveness of high speed trading.
Too fast to fail: How high-speed trading makes Wall Street disasters worse

Yup. You take out a loan for your education then YOU pay it back. Not the tax payers of America.

I'm not interested in paying for anyone's anything.

and yet you pay for it anyhow. how do you think the schools in your local area are funded..you are paying for them like everyone else.

Dipshit the thread is on college. Stick your straw man up your ass

what difference does it make, you are still paying for other people's kid's education

Again fool, the thread is on college. Sit down with your infernal trolling already

you are making a distinction without a difference.
Not really.

The idea behind public education is that everyone requires at least a basic understanding of core subjects to be an effective member of society. College is above and beyond that basic education for those areas that require more. Not everyone requires college and we really need to stop this failed narrative that they do.

If you had read the rest of my post in this thread you would see that I agree not everyone needs college, I have made that very clear.

One could make the argument that everyone needs training beyond the basic understanding of core subjects in high school, it does not have to be college.

The only reason we stop at 12th grade is because that is what we are used to. The countries that go beyond 12th grade are not "wrong" or "right". Why the 12th?

Everyone could have a basic understanding of core subjects by the end of 10th grade if we took out the non-essentials. I am not advocating for stopping then, but just pointing out there is no magic about 12th grade

They shouldn't be paying for someones education. You know that.

So, you are against all public education including k-12?

You need to research WTF high speed traders actually do. They do nothing to help the stock market appreciate. Your QQQs would be worth more without the high speed traders stealing value and making the dips deeper. A small transaction tax would reduce the attractiveness of high speed trading.
Too fast to fail: How high-speed trading makes Wall Street disasters worse

You need to research WTF high speed traders actually do.

They trade, really, really quickly.
They also have no impact on the QQQs sitting in my 401K.

Your QQQs would be worth more without the high speed traders stealing value and making the dips deeper.

How do they "steal value"? Can you walk through the steps of a typical trade?

A small transaction tax would reduce the attractiveness of high speed trading.

Yes, it would make lots of things less attractive, while raising a fraction of what's claimed,
while costing lots of jobs.

On the plus side, everyone on Wall Street will line up against Bernie, and any other supporter of this silly idea, from day one.

I want my mortgage paid off Bernie!!! why can't we do that too? I mean fk all debt, why stop at fking college! the most immature man in america.

Because we need more educated people in this country that are productive and less people who post 69,000+ times on an internet messageboard about their freedom being taken away by gay and brown people.

It must be nice able to contain your viewpoints to statements that can fit on a bumper sticker.

you need a 3rd choice, none of the above.

Anything to do with college or trade schools needs to be done on a state basis, not a Fed one. The Feds have no business being involved at all.

I would like to see a far greater emphasis placed on trade schools and less on 4 year colleges. My son will be a senior this year and his counselors will not even talk to him about anything but 4 year schools.
I agree.

Dirty Jobs host Mike Rowe has the right idea:

mikeroweWORKS Foundation

you need a 3rd choice, none of the above.

Anything to do with college or trade schools needs to be done on a state basis, not a Fed one. The Feds have no business being involved at all.

I would like to see a far greater emphasis placed on trade schools and less on 4 year colleges. My son will be a senior this year and his counselors will not even talk to him about anything but 4 year schools.
I agree.

Dirty Jobs host Mike Rowe has the right idea:

mikeroweWORKS Foundation

That is awesome! Always been a big fan of his

The issue, in my personal opinion, is that when it comes to education in our country it’s so focused on individualism that the thought of the country coming together to ensure a great education for all people seems foreign and is even regarded as foreign. Saying that we should make quality education a right and that we should try and make education accessible and affordable to all is instantly blasted as being communistic and evil. Why? Trust in government is obviously a big issue and corruption runs deep and so I can understand not wanting it to oversee education on a nationwide level but if we know this is an issue then why do most incumbents get re-elected? There’s no quick fix in my opinion but understanding that an educated society is better for this country than an educated individual is a good first step in my opinion.

What about people who don't go to College?

Can they borrow $100k and not pay it back?

Can they attend a 2 year fuck-fest, all expenses paid?

dimocrap scum are doing a fantastic job of creating even more division in this Country.

I agree....gimme a hundred grand as a REPARATION of the 5 years I wasted in college. Oh and I want the money back that I lost to the banksters in the 2008 crash....two hundred grand for that one. Let's see....I grew up playing ball against black guys who were fully-developed men at age 15....that was racism I suffered being a normal white.....another two hundred grand please. I could go on and will if challenged....so pay the fuck up, America.

I want my mortgage paid off Bernie!!! why can't we do that too? I mean fk all debt, why stop at fking college! the most immature man in america.

Because we need more educated people in this country that are productive and less people who post 69,000+ times on an internet messageboard about their freedom being taken away by gay and brown people.
i thought all the illegals were the smart ones? which is it?

Dear kyzr Education can be funded by stopping the waste on criminal justice
that the wrongdoers should be paying for not the taxpayers. We spend up to 50K
a year per person in prison, so that could better be invested in loans for college that can be paid back
by serving in health care internships treating and rehabbing people to PREVENT CRIME that otherwise costs 3 times as much.

Instead of punishing taxpayers and businesses for wealth that is not a crime,
why not charge wrongdoers to pay back costs of crime and corruption that is.

Quit punishing the wrong people. Start holding wrongdoers accountable for costs,
and the restitution owed to taxpayers can finance jobs and education to turn state budgets around.

i thought all the illegals were the smart ones? which is it?

No one ever said that, but an unintelligent/uneducated person would ask something like that.

Nothing is for free, you do comprehend this fact, right, true or false?
So now we are to assume a college education is the yellow brick road to prosperity, while at the same time K-12 is virtually a disaster ,worthless?
Just possibly 9-12 fails to accomplish its stated purpose, so who’s fault is that?

New Topics

Forum List

Back