OMG! I like Bernie's idea for free college, with a few tweeks...

Do you support a Wall Street "transaction tax" to help fund college and job training?

• No, I like the current student loan system

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Yes, I like the idea of stopping high speed traders and funding college and job training

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
What I like about the plan to tax stock transactions

800px-Distribution_of_Wealth_in_the_United_States.svg.png

The wealthy learned long ago how to shield income from taxation knowing that their wealth was untouchable

Under this plan, every transaction of transferring their wealth would be taxed

A sales tax on the real estate and stock market

If I buy 100 shares of Tesla in my IRA, how am I transferring my wealth?

Those shares are a product that is bought and sold

And it's not a transfer of wealth when I buy them.
Not a transfer of wealth when I buy a new car. But I pay taxes on it

I'm glad I could help you realize and admit your error.
No error
Treat buying stock in a company like buying and selling anything else

If I buy 100 shares of Tesla in my IRA, how am I transferring my wealth?

Those shares are a product that is bought and sold

And it's not a transfer of wealth when I buy them.
Not a transfer of wealth when I buy a new car. But I pay taxes on it

I'm glad I could help you realize and admit your error.
No error

No error.

You said, "every transaction of transferring their wealth would be taxed" by taxing these non-transfers.

You'd cost jobs, make investing more expensive and raise a fraction of what you think.

and yet you pay for it anyhow. how do you think the schools in your local area are funded..you are paying for them like everyone else.

Dipshit the thread is on college. Stick your straw man up your ass

what difference does it make, you are still paying for other people's kid's education

Again fool, the thread is on college. Sit down with your infernal trolling already

you are making a distinction without a difference.
Not really.

The idea behind public education is that everyone requires at least a basic understanding of core subjects to be an effective member of society. College is above and beyond that basic education for those areas that require more. Not everyone requires college and we really need to stop this failed narrative that they do.

Could we also stop the failed narrative of "People need this, therefore the government should give it to them for free"? Somewhere, we've gotten the notion that people should only ever have to pay out of their own pockets for luxuries and frivolities.

Why is it conservatives never complain about the cost of war but when it comes to something that helps people all they do is whine?

Why is it that leftists try to frame every topic as "War versus helping people", and somehow think we're going to just accept their viewpoint?

Several points here, Junior:

1) It is not the job of the government or the taxpayers to "help people". You have us confused with the Red Cross.

2) National security, under which heading "war" falls, IS the job of the government.

3) Taking money from one group of people to just hand to another group of people is not "helpful", no matter HOW many times you saw "Robin Hood" movies as a kid.

4) Wars help a damned sight more people than social welfare programs do, provided you don't let leftists anywhere near running them.

5) Conservatives complain about excessive government spending all the time, including in regards to military action. We aren't required to have sit-ins protesting the very existence of the military in order to do this, your puerile "all or nothing" viewpoint notwithstanding.

Lol
It has nothing to do with race you fucking retard

Of course it does. Your entire belief system is based upon it.
Lol
As a minority I see no racism from day to day.
The divide in this country is not race or financial, it’s urban and rural
actually it is has and has nots.
Generally speaking, Rural America does not covet their neighbors/other people’s shit.
So, Basically the same thing
Who told you that?
Rural America gets tons of benefits they do not pay for
Lol
You obviously have no idea what real rural America is... I’ll give you a hint they vote opposite of you

Not relevant unless you are going to challenge 18 as a reasonable place to start adulthood and that is an underlying reason to adjust our K-12 system.

seems that is already happening. Being 18 ain't what it used to be. Right now all being 18 gives you is the right to vote and sign contracts legally. Some states are now moving the "smoking age" to 21. There has been talk of moving the voting age to 21.
And there are idiots that talk about Texas ceding from the union every few years too.

As far as moving the voting age, there was FAR more serious talk about moving it to 16 than there was to 21 though I do agree; the second the government decides that you are old enough to die for your country then ALL of society should be open to you. It is pathetic that daddy government says you cant drink because you are not old enough but I can send you off to die.

That is all philosophical though, it is a fact that we confer the status of adult at the age of 18. That has not changed and we absolutely should not be encouraging people to extend childhood past that.
Clearly we as a society do not really think that 18 year olds are adults, since we limit so much of what they can do legally
So much? Really? This type of rhetoric I expect from trolls, not from you. 'So much' includes drinking. That's it. 1/4 of the states it includes smoking. IOW, 3/4 of the time "so much' is not even plural...

Last edited:
I actually like the funding mechanism for Bernie's "free college" plan, but with a few tweaks...
Sanders Panders: Four Flaws In Bernie Sanders' Higher Education Plan

1. Lets say that the 1st 2-years of college, including community colleges and trade schools are free, with an emphasis on job training for filling real jobs that need workers.

2. The 2nd 2-years funding are "means tested" and also "grade tested" so that marginal students are weeded out and the wealthy don't need help. Also, "careers that are needed" get more funding than careers that have poor job prospects.

3. Grad school funding is for the brightest and filling needed jobs, such as doctors.

4. The colleges need to control costs and do not get funding for any students that flunk out. Price controls may need to be imposed so that colleges use their "endowment funds" to help students.

What's the downside? Hopefully stopping the high speed traders that don't "invest" but simply skim money from our 401k's and IRA's.

You do understand that "means testing" and the "grade testing" adds enormous costs to the administration of the program. Right wingers are HUGE on means testing, but the costs of the additional staff and the process often balloon the costs of the program.

Often the costs of the means test are greater than the benefit received, basically doubling the costs of the program. Governments have found that it is often cheaper to cover ALL citizens, even those of means, than the increased costs of administering and evaluating who qualifies and who doesn't.
That's nice.

That does not apply here. Under no measure would means testing exceed the cost of the program by a million miles and grade testing would be utterly free, schools already do this.

That is all philosophical though, it is a fact that we confer the status of adult at the age of 18. That has not changed and we absolutely should not be encouraging people to extend childhood past that.

what makes 18 such a magical number?

So much? Really? This type of rhetoric I expect from trolls, not from you. 'So much' includes drinking. That's it. 1/4 of the states it includes smoking. IOW, 3/4 of the time "so much' is not even plural...

In all but a small handful of sates you have to be 21 to gamble

You have to 21 to buy a hooker in Vegas.

you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer.

Forum List

Back