OMG George Takei sin't gay

No, I am pretty sure he is still gay.

View attachment 81073
nobody can "oh my" like sulu

oh-my-takei.gif

He has a fragrance named Eau My. :lol:

I can see where George Takei is coming from. If not for Star Trek, he'd be the "Token Asian Actor" which is what he was throughout most of his career until the Trek revival in the 1980's.

He didn't play Sulu as a gay man because it was kind of enough that he was in this racially harmonious future where an Asian man could be an officer.

Of course, they didn't even bother giving the poor guy a FIRST NAME until the sixth movie. That's how much depth the character had. (Poor Uhura never got a first name!)

Now, that said, I think it's taken way too long for Star Trek to admit that gay people actually exist. Other than a few episodes of Deep Space Nine where characters were only gay in evil alternate universes, or because of symbiot memories, Trek was never very daring on this issue.

Shit, Doctor Who got gay characters in 2005! And that's a fucking kid's show. (kind of.)
He didn't play Sulu as a gay man because it was kind of enough that he was in this racially harmonious future where an Asian man could be an officer.
he did not play Sulu as a gay man in the 60's because it probably would not have been allowed,and Roddenberry was not that kool on gayness at that time,he had changed his attitude and wanted to put a gay couple in the NG but died before it happened,Rick Berman who took over as the show runner droped the ball on that topic....in the novels both Sulu and Uhura have first names....Hikaru and Nyota....

Just when you thought things couldn't get any more weird, they step up the meaning of weird. Sulu was a hot asian guy back in the day. OK, well, I still like Kirk. Spock was sort of like my bachelor jewish uncle that knew everything. The original series never dealt with sexual preference, they had their eyes to the heavens and didn't worry about suicide bombers, mass murders or sex perverts. What a wonderfully naive time.
It wasn't naive it was intended as the sub plot...The show did not take a regular world view because it was futuristic and that is how the books were written....A time when it was an automatic assumption that everyone was heterosexual, even the aliens...And it would have killed the book series because of social outlooks on entertainment in the 1950-60's. Hell, the show was so far advanced as to insinuate that Mr. Spock and alien yet presumably white male, could make out with Uhura.....That was a flash point in the later 1960's when it aired...
Moon what books are you referring to?...the OS was not based on any books........the Pocket book series which started in '79 by Roddenberry never had any problems with sex of any kind.......

Forum List

Back