OMG!!!! China-Syndrome In Tokyo

i wished someone could explain what is going on in the rectors....
and are we discussing one plant with several reactors....

type slowly

There are six reactors at two sites.

One is on the verge of a meltdown, with another one potentially going into meltdown. They are trying to cool both with seawater. They are expecting a second explosion at one of the reactors.

I dont know if you guys have seen the pictures coming from NHK (News Hong Kong) but whole fucking towns have disappeared. Horrifying.

It appears there are now problems with a third reactor at a third site which had, until now, been considered stable.

And... a town of 10,000 has completely disappeared.

Oh, and the US RR has arrived so, hopefully, they can crack on with the rescue effort.

You think this OP's bad?...

Consider this...

If that Reactor Melts Down... This could be Japan's Hiroshima or Nagasaki...

Yeah... It's stupid, but you know someone has made the point and meant it. :thup:

:)

peace...

You mean this could be another Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki already are Japan's Hiroshima and Nagasaki.:eusa_angel:

I'm not a nuke engineer, so I can't say if a total meltdown would be as damaging as a nuclear bomb.

I said it was Stupid... And Offensive... :lol:

peace...

How many want to bet me the left starts harping about nuke energy before the end of the day. Maybe even Obama might jump on this perfect opportunity to trash an energy source that most of Europe partakes in but we don't to any great extent thanks to Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas.

I don't know if it's true or not (it doesn't really have to be these days), but it's been reported that due to the massive 8.9 Earthquake this morning one of Japan's nuke reactors is having trouble getting enough cooling.

During an earthquake a failsafe shutdown usually goes into effect. Fuel-rods are removed and this shuts down the reactor that powers the steam turbines that produce electricity. Millions are out of power.

I'm waiting for all of the 3-Mile Island stories to start.

Anyone wanna bet me that talking heads won't jump on this?

Why would Obama want to get down on Nuclear power? He's been pushing it's use for at least a year now.

How many want to bet me the left starts harping about nuke energy before the end of the day. Maybe even Obama might jump on this perfect opportunity to trash an energy source that most of Europe partakes in but we don't to any great extent thanks to Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas.

I don't know if it's true or not (it doesn't really have to be these days), but it's been reported that due to the massive 8.9 Earthquake this morning one of Japan's nuke reactors is having trouble getting enough cooling.

During an earthquake a failsafe shutdown usually goes into effect. Fuel-rods are removed and this shuts down the reactor that powers the steam turbines that produce electricity. Millions are out of power.

I'm waiting for all of the 3-Mile Island stories to start.

Anyone wanna bet me that talking heads won't jump on this?

Why would Obama want to get down on Nuclear power? He's been pushing it's use for at least a year now.

Political Winds are Strong... And he is Weak. :thup:

peace...

As usual, IAEA got their head stuck in the sand...
:cuckoo:
IAEA: No Indication of Nuclear Reactor Meltdown in Japan
March 14, 2011 - The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, or IAEA, said Monday in Vienna that despite problems at two nuclear power plants in Japan stemming from last week's earthquake and tsunami, there is no indication of a reactor meltdown. But the fluid situation and fears of a possible meltdown are raising concerns.
IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano sought to calm fears about the release of radioactive gas into the air, following two explosions at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, some 200 kilometers north of Tokyo. "Despite the hydrogen explosions, reactors vessels and containment vessels stayed in tact. As a result, the release of radioactivity was limited," he said. Amano described the many layers of protection at the Japanese plant. "The nuclear reactors BWR [i.e., boiling water reactor] have multiple safety measures. The nuclear core is contained in reactor vessels that are made of higher [grade] steel. Then the reactor's vessel is contained in a primary containment vessel that is made of concrete," he said.

Japan expert Daniel Aldrich of Purdue University in the U.S. state of Indiana says the situation at the stricken plant is not as serious as the 1986 nuclear power accident at Chernobyl in what is now Ukraine. "This is a smaller scale meltdown, where the fuel rods themselves have not been cooled down by water or normally by other cooling fluids. So in this case, it means the fuel gets so hot, the rods themselves melt. And if uncontrolled, this could build into a larger meltdown. So right now, to our knowledge, this is only a partial meltdown," he said.

But nuclear engineer David Lochbaum with the Union of Concerned Scientists cautions that it is difficult to detect a meltdown. "There's not an annunciator; there's not an alarm window or a computer print out that says, 'I've experienced a core meltdown.'" A partial core meltdown occurs when nuclear fuel is not cooled for several hours and begins to melt. A full nuclear meltdown occurs when the fuel in the core melts and falls to the bottom of the reactor's containment vessel. If the heat ruptures the vessel, it could result a large and violent release of radiation with serious health effects.

MORE

See also:

Japanese PM: Radiation Levels Increasing Near Stricken Nuclear Plant
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 - Japanese officials have warned of increasing radiation levels around an earthquake-damaged nuclear power plant, and have urged people living within a 30-kilometer radius to stay indoors.
In a nationally televised statement Tuesday, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said radiation has spread from the three reactors of the Fukushima nuclear plant after Friday's massive earthquake and resulting tsunami. Mr. Kan said the radiation level is “very high” and he said there still is a very high risk of more radiation coming out. There was a third explosion Tuesday morning at the Fukushima plant following similar blasts on Saturday and Monday. And officials say a fire has broken out in one of the plant's reactors. No casualties are reported at the plant.

The troubles began when the earthquake and tsunami knocked out power on Friday, crippling the cooling systems needed to keep nuclear fuel rods from melting down. On Monday, the U.S. Geological Survey upgraded the magnitude of the quake to 9.0 from the previous estimate of 8.9. There have been numerous aftershocks since the initial quake.

Engineers have been pumping seawater into the Fukushima plant to cool the fuel rods after a steam vent inside one of its reactors closed for an unknown reason. But the water levels dropped too abruptly and officials say the fuel rods have been exposed to air at least twice so far. Some of the rod casings may have melted in the heat, allowing contaminated gases to leak into nearby areas. Plant officials say that some radiation has been detected outside the plant. U.S. warships and planes helping with relief efforts moved away from the coast temporarily because of low-level radiation.

Almost 200,000 people have been evacuated from areas around Fukushima. The government has advised those who remain at home to keep indoors. Residents in quake- and tsunami-hit regions are suffering from food, water and heat shortages. Many homes are without electricity and running water. The official death toll has reached almost 2,000, but authorities say they have not been able to contact about 10,000 other people, and that new bodies are constantly being washed ashore. Power rationing began Monday across Japan. That is expected to last into April as the demand for electricity is expected to exceed supply.

About 100,000 Japanese troops, backed by relief teams from more than a dozen countries, are searching for survivors in the rubble. Two U.S. search-and-rescue teams with 144 staff and 12 dogs, are among the teams that began clawing through the ruins at first light Monday in search of survivors. A 15-member Chinese team also was at work. Japan's Kyodo news agency said the Defense Ministry will activate reserves to assist in relief operations, the first time it has done so.

Source

You think this OP's bad?...

Consider this...

If that Reactor Melts Down... This could be Japan's Hiroshima or Nagasaki...

Yeah... It's stupid, but you know someone has made the point and meant it. :thup:

peace...

I'm not a nuke engineer, so I can't say if a total meltdown would be as damaging as a nuclear bomb.

peace...

Well, 4 days ago I said they would try to take advantage of this crisis and that they would be talking about 3 Mile Island again, and now they are, seems the OP wasn't stupid.

And there was nothing offensive about the OP ether, unless all you read was the title.

Here are some Live Real Time Links to Geiger-Counter Nuclear Radiation Monitors in Japan

Tokyo, Japan Live Geiger-Counter Link

Chiba, Japan Live Geiger-Counter Link

Here are the levels for Radiation poisoning chart

1 mSv = 100 mrem = 0.1 rem so this would be normal radiation levels.
1 rad = 0.01 gray (Gy); 1 Gy = 100 rad;
1 rem = 0.01 Sievert (Sv); 1Sv = 100 rem
1 rad= 1 rem; 1 Gv = 1 Sv

There are rolling black-outs in Japan so these links go down periodically.

Yesterday the Chiba Geiger-Counter was up to 1.8 - I think 3 or less is good.

Please Post other live Geiger Geiger-Counter links if you have them.

Last edited:

peace...

Well, 4 days ago I said they would try to take advantage of this crisis and that they would be talking about 3 Mile Island again, and now they are, seems the OP wasn't stupid.

And there was nothing offensive about the OP ether, unless all you read was the title.

I never said your OP was...

I was giving People Examples of Offensive and Stupid things so they could have some Honest Outrage... :lol:

peace...

Forum List

Back