OMG!!!! China-Syndrome In Tokyo

This is, of course, terrible news. It could end up being a much more huge story than the quake and the tsunami stories combined.

It appears likely that we are presently witnessing another Chernobyl.

Breaking news
Japan's earthquake-hit nuclear plant may be in meltdown, say experts

* By staff writers
* March 12, 2011 5:32PM

{ * Radioactive caesium detected near plant }

JAPAN'S quake-hit nuclear power plant Fukushima No.1, about 250km north-east of Tokyo, "may be experiencing nuclear meltdown", local media says.

The report via Kyodo News, citing the nation's Nuclear Safety Commission, follows yesterday's devastating 8.9-magnitude earthquake and tsunami in the area, with a commission official suggesting that even if there was a meltdown it would not affect humans beyond a 10km radius.

Parts of the reactor's nuclear fuel rods were briefly exposed to the air after cooling water levels dropped through evaporation, and a fire engine was pumping water into the reactor, Jiji news agency reported.

The rods, which create heat through a nuclear reaction, can release radioactivity when exposed to the air. Without water the rods cannot be cooled properly, Fox News reported.

The water levels are recovering, operator Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), told Jiji. In addition a TEPCO spokesman said that "we believe the reactor is not melting down or cracking. We are trying to raise the water level."

But moments later Kyodo News reported that radioactive caesium had been detected near the Fukushima plant, citing information from the nuclear safety agency.

Earlier today, the Japanese Government declared an atomic emergency amid growing international concern over its reactors.

As an industrial powerhouse nation poor in energy resources, Japan draws about 30 per cent of its total power from its 53 nuclear plants.

About 45,000 people who live within a 10km radius of the No.1 plant were earlier told to evacuate - raising the number from the fewer than 6000 people within three kilometres told to leave yesterday.

Read more: Japan's earthquake-hit nuclear plant may be in meltdown, say experts | News.com.au
Japan's earthquake-hit nuclear plant may be in meltdown, say experts | News.com.au

This is, of course, terrible news. It could end up being a much more huge story than the quake and the tsunami stories combined.

Breaking news

* By staff writers

JAPAN'S quake-hit nuclear power plant Fukushima No.1, about 250km north-east of Tokyo, "may be experiencing nuclear meltdown", local media says.

The report via Kyodo News, citing the nation's Nuclear Safety Commission, follows yesterday's devastating 8.9-magnitude earthquake and tsunami in the area, with a commission official suggesting that even if there was a meltdown it would not affect humans beyond a 10km radius.

Parts of the reactor's nuclear fuel rods were briefly exposed to the air after cooling water levels dropped through evaporation, and a fire engine was pumping water into the reactor, Jiji news agency reported.

The rods, which create heat through a nuclear reaction, can release radioactivity when exposed to the air. Without water the rods cannot be cooled properly, Fox News reported.

The water levels are recovering, operator Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), told Jiji. In addition a TEPCO spokesman said that "we believe the reactor is not melting down or cracking. We are trying to raise the water level."

But moments later Kyodo News reported that radioactive caesium had been detected near the Fukushima plant, citing information from the nuclear safety agency.

Earlier today, the Japanese Government declared an atomic emergency amid growing international concern over its reactors.

As an industrial powerhouse nation poor in energy resources, Japan draws about 30 per cent of its total power from its 53 nuclear plants.

About 45,000 people who live within a 10km radius of the No.1 plant were earlier told to evacuate - raising the number from the fewer than 6000 people within three kilometres told to leave yesterday.

Read more: Japan's earthquake-hit nuclear plant may be in meltdown, say experts | News.com.au
Japan's earthquake-hit nuclear plant may be in meltdown, say experts | News.com.au

The reports are confusing. One said the chances of it becoming another Chernobyl are already past.

I don't think we can count on reporters, who are not nuke experts, to report this accurately.

Even minor details are not being reported properly. This morning they said the plant at Fukushima was 150 miles North of Tokyo and may be a threat to the city. Now, in this report, it's 250 miles.

Last edited:
The BBC reports no damage to the reactor and, no, it is not another Chernobyl. I always think it's a good idea not to get too hysterical about this kind of thing.... until there is something to get hysterical about.

Breaking news

* By staff writers

The reports are confusing. One said the chances of it becoming another Chernobyl are already past.

I don't think we can count on reporters, who are not nuke experts, to report this accurately.

Agreed in principle. However, if Kyodo News Agency is reporting the release of caesium in the area, there is an implication that a meltdown of some kind had already commenced. "Kyodo News reported that radioactive caesium had been detected near the Fukushima plant . . . ."

The BBC reports no damage to the reactor and, no, it is not another Chernobyl. I always think it's a good idea not to get too hysterical about this kind of thing.... until there is something to get hysterical about.

Hysterical is clearly the wrong word, to begin with. Nobody seems to be going into hysteria.

What I posted, for example, noted a news report from Japan stating an alleged "fact." That alleged fact was a release of caesium.

Then, noting that there IS an implication (a very bad one) from the release of caesium is not "hysterical" either.

When the fuel rods are in use, caesium is one of the by products of the nuclear reaction. It is designed to be completely contained. If a meltdown has started, the release of caesium is an indication of that.

Caesium indicates we have gotten to the point of meltdown says nuclear expert on CNN | Florida Oil Spill Law

The reason is that some cladding for the fuel rods would have to have been breached or broken for the caesium to get released, as I understand it.

Still no hysteria. And it would be wonderful if the information as yet unknown somehow mitigates all of this. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss what appear to be the implications of the facts we are starting to learn.

Also, I see that it is highly reactive to cold water. So if there is a breach and the water used as a coolant comes into contact with it, an explosion is likely. I mention that because even though there are boat loads of information we do not yet know, we do know that there has been an explosion. Once again, with no hysteria at all, there are possible implications in that fact. Not good ones, either.

:lol: Oops. Sorry, I didn't notice. Oh well, I'll get over it.

Yep, I'm over it.

You and me both.

Please add me again, Muddie.

That's it.

Now you've done it.

I feel like.....well like.....S.H.I.T.

I was gonna post this:

th_givingadamn.gif

But instead I feel sad.

OK. Just give me a few hours. I'm not at my pc right now.

Yeah: I speak no Japanese, but the video images kinda speak for themselves. You can see the place when the explosion occurs AS it happens. It's fairly unsettling in light of the probable release of caesium.

Last edited by a moderator:
One measure of the usefullness of a means of generating power is the ability of that generation to survive adverse conditions, and get back on line quickly. We shall see how well Japan's nukes survived this quake, and, hopefully, modify our own future designs in accordance.

Tell me something, how long would it take to rebuild a solar plant hit by an earthquake and a tsunami? The major problem here is not the reactors themselves, it is that the entire grid has been destroyed.

You think this OP's bad?...

Consider this...

If that Reactor Melts Down... This could be Japan's Hiroshima or Nagasaki...

Yeah... It's stupid, but you know someone has made the point and meant it. :thup:

:)

peace...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/science/13radiation.html

In Vienna on Saturday, the International Atomic Energy Agency said Japanese authorities had informed it that iodine pills would be distributed to residents around the Fukushima Daiichi and Daini plants in northeast Japan. Both have experienced multiple failures in the wake of the huge earthquake and tsunami that struck Friday.

In the types of reactors involved, water is used to cool the reactor core and produce steam to turn the turbines that make electricity. The water contains two of the least dangerous radioactive materials now in the news — radioactive nitrogen and tritium. Normal plant operations produce both of them in the cooling water, and they are even released routinely in small amounts into the environment, usually through tall chimneys.

I read this and almost had an aneurysm:
The Environmental Protection Agency says that everyone in the United States is exposed to very small amounts of cesium-137 in soil and water because of atmospheric fallout from the nuclear detonations of the cold war.

The agency says that very high exposures can result in serious burns and even death, but that such cases are extremely rare. Once dispersed in the environment, it says, cesium-137 “is impossible to avoid.”

Chemtrails! :eek:

Last edited:
Sky ain't fallin' after all...
:cool:
Japan earthquake: Officials say nuclear catastrophe averted
March 12, 2011 - Fears of a nuclear meltdown in Japan have subsided after a reactor that was damaged in Friday’s devastating earthquake reportedly emerged intact from an explosion.
A day after the country was thrown into chaos by a fierce tsunami triggered by the largest earthquake in Japan’s history, the country was, for a few terrifying hours, bracing itself for a possible nuclear catastrophe. Television cameras captured the moment that smoke poured from what at first appeared to be one of four reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, located 150 miles north of Tokyo.

After a few nerve-wracking hours, however, the government and the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power, said the damage had been confined to the walls and roof surrounding the reactor, sparing its metal casing. The chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, told a televised press conference that radiation around the plant had, in fact, started to decrease.

A “tiny” amount of radiation had leaked earlier in the day when officials attempted to relieve pressure inside the reactor. “We have confirmed that the walls of this building were what exploded, and not the reactor’s container,” Edano said, adding, “There was no large amount of radiation leakage outside. At this point, there has been no major change to the level of radiation leakage outside, so we'd like everyone to respond calmly.”

Some exposure to radiation

See also:

Reports: 9,500 Missing in Japan Coastal Town
Mar 12, 2011 - As emergency responders made their way today into the hardest-hit coastal villages of Japan, the country's Kyodo News Agency reports that 9,500 people are unaccounted for in Minamisanriku -- roughly half the town's population.
The town, located along the Pacific Ocean on the northeast coast of Japan, has a population of 17,000 residents. Japan Self-Defense Forces are trying to help local authorities find residents, Japanese public broadcasting station NHK reported. So far, they've only been able to confirm that about 7,500 residents were successfully evacuated to dozens of shelters after the massive earthquake and tsunami, NHK reported.

Even before rescuers reached the hardest-hit areas, NHK reported stories of devastation from the towns and villages along Japan's northeastern coast affected by the quake and its aftershocks. In Sendai, the largest nearby city, police said between 200 and 300 bodies were found along the coast. Many more are believed to have been buried in the rubble or washed out with the waves.

Military helicopters grabbed survivors from rooftops and streets were littered with remnants of the destruction. The U.S. agreed to send helicopters from Okinawa to assist rescue efforts. Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan said more than 3,000 people have been rescued, Kyodo News Agency reported. "We'd first like to focus on saving lives and secondly the comfort of the evacuees," Kan said. "There will be many resources that will be needed for this evacuation process."

Source

You think this OP's bad?...

Consider this...

If that Reactor Melts Down... This could be Japan's Hiroshima or Nagasaki...

Yeah... It's stupid, but you know someone has made the point and meant it. :thup:

:)

peace...

You mean this could be another Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki already are Japan's Hiroshima and Nagasaki.:eusa_angel:

I'm not a nuke engineer, so I can't say if a total meltdown would be as damaging as a nuclear bomb.

Please add me again, Muddie.

That's it.

Now you've done it.

I feel like.....well like.....S.H.I.T.

I was gonna post this:

th_givingadamn.gif

But instead I feel sad.

OK. Just give me a few hours. I'm not at my pc right now.
I thought you were married...:lol: That's way beyond pathetic.

You are not one to talk. Forgiveness is a wonderful thing. You should try it.

Ravi, it seems if you don't have something rotten to say you say nothing. There's alot of pent up anger in you.

I suggest you go see a shrink.

Forum List

Back