OMG!!!! China-Syndrome In Tokyo

How many want to bet me the left starts harping about nuke energy before the end of the day. Maybe even Obama might jump on this perfect opportunity to trash an energy source that most of Europe partakes in but we don't to any great extent thanks to Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas.

I don't know if it's true or not (it doesn't really have to be these days), but it's been reported that due to the massive 8.9 Earthquake this morning one of Japan's nuke reactors is having trouble getting enough cooling.

During an earthquake a failsafe shutdown usually goes into effect. Fuel-rods are removed and this shuts down the reactor that powers the steam turbines that produce electricity. Millions are out of power.

I'm waiting for all of the 3-Mile Island stories to start.

Anyone wanna bet me that talking heads won't jump on this?

Even here when the Fail-Safes kick in Automatic Shutdown, it takes weeks to get them back on line. We've seen big Power outages in the North East and Florida as a result of the glitches in the System.

And even after all that happens, have you see the debris left behind by the tsunami? Omg, what a disaster. Those poor, poor souls.

It's not even done yet. Hiroshima was nothing.

But these people will pull themselves out of the debris and show us how to deal with disasters.

How many want to bet me the left starts harping about nuke energy before the end of the day. Maybe even Obama might jump on this perfect opportunity to trash an energy source that most of Europe partakes in but we don't to any great extent thanks to Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas.

I don't know if it's true or not (it doesn't really have to be these days), but it's been reported that due to the massive 8.9 Earthquake this morning one of Japan's nuke reactors is having trouble getting enough cooling.

During an earthquake a failsafe shutdown usually goes into effect. Fuel-rods are removed and this shuts down the reactor that powers the steam turbines that produce electricity. Millions are out of power.

I'm waiting for all of the 3-Mile Island stories to start.

Anyone wanna bet me that talking heads won't jump on this?
Obama trash Nuclear Energy - Not likely

Obama Says Safe Nuclear Power Plants are a Necessary Investment ...
Obama Says Safe Nuclear Power Plants are a Necessary Investment - Political Punch

Obama moves to back nuclear power - World - CBC News
Obama moves to back nuclear power - World - CBC News

McCain, Obama promote nuclear energy plans - USATODAY.com
McCain, Obama promote nuclear energy plans - USATODAY.com

I have not seen anything in the news that said there was any failure in the automatic withdrawing of the control rods in the 11 plants that were shut down.

Last edited:
The experts they bring on to discuss the problem at the reactors ALL say there is no danger of a meltdown but the news programs have got to continue reporting on the "meltdown".
crazy stuff
gotta keep the news exciting somehow I guess :lol:

I hope what I am seeing in other sources is exagerations. For some of them are stating that if they fail to cool that first plant, the result could exceed the damage from Chernobyl.

Radiation Levels Surge Outside Two Nuclear Plants in Japan - FoxNews.com

Some 3,000 people within two miles of the plant were urged to leave their homes, but the evacuation zone was more than tripled to 6.2 miles after authorities detected eight times the normal radiation levels outside the facility and 1,000 times normal inside Unit 1's control room.

The government declared a state of emergency at the Daiichi unit -- the first at a nuclear plant in Japan's history. But hours later, the Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the six-reactor Daiichi site, announced that it had lost cooling ability at a second reactor there and three units at its nearby Fukushima Daini site.

The government quickly declared states of emergency for those units, too, and thousands of residents near Fukushima Daini also were told to leave.

This file photo shows the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, which had its cooling system fail Friday after a massive earthquake caused a power outage
Japan's nuclear safety agency said the situation was most dire at Fukushima Daiichi's Unit 1, where pressure had risen to twice what is consider the normal level. The International Atomic Energy Agency said in a statement that diesel generators that normally would have kept cooling systems running at Fukushima Daiichi had been disabled by tsunami flooding.

I hope what I am seeing in other sources is exagerations. For some of them are stating that if they fail to cool that first plant, the result could exceed the damage from Chernobyl.

Some 3,000 people within two miles of the plant were urged to leave their homes, but the evacuation zone was more than tripled to 6.2 miles after authorities detected eight times the normal radiation levels outside the facility and 1,000 times normal inside Unit 1's control room.

The government declared a state of emergency at the Daiichi unit -- the first at a nuclear plant in Japan's history. But hours later, the Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the six-reactor Daiichi site, announced that it had lost cooling ability at a second reactor there and three units at its nearby Fukushima Daini site.

The government quickly declared states of emergency for those units, too, and thousands of residents near Fukushima Daini also were told to leave.

This file photo shows the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, which had its cooling system fail Friday after a massive earthquake caused a power outage
Japan's nuclear safety agency said the situation was most dire at Fukushima Daiichi's Unit 1, where pressure had risen to twice what is consider the normal level. The International Atomic Energy Agency said in a statement that diesel generators that normally would have kept cooling systems running at Fukushima Daiichi had been disabled by tsunami flooding.
Something doesn't make sense. If the control rods were removed, shutting down the pile, why was there a danger of a meltdown?

Something doesn't make sense. If the control rods were removed, shutting down the pile, why was there a danger of a meltdown?

There's not. The media seems to be flipping out over this one.

For your information you remove control rods from the pile to start the reaction! When you want to shut down a reaction you insert the control rods. Rods are designed to absorb the neutrons being emitted by the radioactive fuel. In most reactors the rods are inserted above the pile and in an emergency they can be dropped into the pile quickly to stop the fission process. Once the rods are in then the nuclear reaction is over.

To any liberal who's feelings have been hurt by my original post, this is not about you.

Quit making it so.

The situation is obviously grave. I'm predicting what has time and time again been the usual reaction of the left and the MSM in any event. They proved it when they attempted to jump all over Sarah Palin and the Tea Party over a shooting in Tusan earlier this year. It is not intended to minimalise the situation in any way. What is pathetic is the simple fact I had to mention this in the first place.

backpedal faster mud.....

The experts they bring on to discuss the problem at the reactors ALL say there is no danger of a meltdown but the news programs have got to continue reporting on the "meltdown".
crazy stuff
gotta keep the news exciting somehow I guess :lol:

Yup. First thing this morning that's all they were talking about, even on Fox.

There was an explosion and now all they're talking about is the possibility of a nuke accident.

The worst accident in history was at Chernobyl. 3-Mile Island was mostly hype from the media. They talked mostly about what could happen, not what did happen.

They're talking about how much Obama is helping to support a restart of our nuke program. $20 or 30 million dollars isn't much, but they think it shows he's earnestly working to give us another energy source when in fact he wants us to live off of solar power, wind power, and burning chicken fat.

To any liberal who's feelings have been hurt by my original post, this is not about you.

Quit making it so.

The situation is obviously grave. I'm predicting what has time and time again been the usual reaction of the left and the MSM in any event. They proved it when they attempted to jump all over Sarah Palin and the Tea Party over a shooting in Tusan earlier this year. It is not intended to minimalise the situation in any way. What is pathetic is the simple fact I had to mention this in the first place.

WHAT!!!!!

Are you high?????

In what way is that a backpedal?????

I predicted that the left would start harping on this. In the weeks to follow more and more anti-nuke lefties will start coming out of the woodwork. They will relate all of the worst-case scenarios and try to get everyone afraid of nuclear power all over again effectively removing it as a viable energy source for decades. It never fails.

I'm still trying to figure out how you could think I was backpedaling.

Seems to me that Mud needs to go back to school and learn himself some geography. The reactor is not in Tokyo, it's in Fukushima. I know it's probably just me, but it's like thinking London is England.... it does speak to one's credibility if one cannot get the small shit right.

Seems to me that Mud needs to go back to school and learn himself some geography. The reactor is not in Tokyo, it's in Fukushima. I know it's probably just me, but it's like thinking London is England.... it does speak to one's credibility if one cannot get the small shit right.

Actually this is happening in more then one place. I know it's not in Tokyo.

Every time you post something like this it justifies my reasons for deleting you.

Keep it up.

Quit making it so.

:lol: Liberals made him a fucktard.

Another fucktard politicizing a tragedy.

I sincerely hope they fix the cooling system, what a horror it would be if people suffer from radiation on top of the earthquake and tsunami.
Politicizing tragedies is what the Left does for a living. Look what they did with the shooting of Rep. Giffords in Arizona.

"Ban Talk Radio!"
"Ban Hand Guns!"
"Ban Free Speech!"

Tax or Ban are the lefts' only solution to any problem that might arise.

Every time you post something like this it justifies my reasons for deleting you.

Keep it up.

You 'deleted' me? Really? From where?

Quit making it so.

:lol: Liberals made him a fucktard.

Really????

No Liberal or anyone else defines me.

Strange how you can't argue your point or refute my OP without going into an insult fest

Keep it up.

You 'deleted' me? Really? From where?

Yahoo.

Forum List

Back