OMG at least one BEST paper has passed peer review

OMICS Publishing Launches New Brand with 53 Journal Titles | Scholarly Open Access

I have no proof, but when I first read this article, I saw the "hat tip" at the bottom addressed to Anthony Watts, not Anthony Watkins. That is the source of my comment that Watts had tipped off the author, Jeffrey Beall. I could have been wrong or it could have been changed.

My racist comment was solely in response to Mr Beall's apparent impression that it was significant and meaningful to point out that SciTechnol was an Indian company and to chastise them for their poor English. I wager their English is a damn sight better than Mr Beall's Hindi.
OMICS Publishing Launches New Brand with 53 Journal Titles
SciTechnol
The logo for OMICS Publishing Group’s new brand SciTechnol.
India-based OMICS Publishing Group has just launched a new brand of scholarly journals called “SciTechnol.” This new OMICS brand lists 53 new journals, though none has any content yet.

We learned of this new launch because the company is currently spamming tens of thousands of academics, hoping to recruit some of them for the new journals’ editorial boards.

The new site, the URL of which is SciTechnol :: International Publisher of Science, Technology and Medicine, includes a barely-literate mission statement. In part, it reads,

Based on the scientific necessity and demand, SciTechnol leads international scientific journals. SciTechnol aids the viewers to have access to its journals. SciTechnol provides wide range of online journals containing the latest research from a broad spectrum of subject areas. For further information on SciTechnol online journals, visit SciTechnol Index.

This poorly-written mission statement is an indication of a shabby and unprofessional operation. The editorial board solicitation spam emails are also poorly-written.

OMICS Publishing group has exploited many young researchers by inviting them to submit article manuscripts, leading them through the editing and review process, publishing the article and then invoicing the author.

In most cases, the authors have no idea that an author fee applies until they receive the invoice. We documented this practice in an earlier post. Will OMICS continue this unethical practice with its new brand?

We note that one other open-access publisher is also launching new brands. Perhaps OMICS is copying the strategy of Hindawi, which has recently launched ISRN and Datasets.org.

Hat tip: Anthony Watkinson

OK, so you misread. but you want to keep the option open that someone went back and changed a two year old post at exactly the time that you read it.

and you consider it racist that a librarian considers it sloppy and unprofessional that a journal that advertises global expertise doesnt even run its correspondence through MicroSoft Word to remove the obvious grammatical errors.

dont you find it the least bit unsettling that a high profile paper that will be used in making billion dollar decisions couldnt be published in an established, credible journal? that it had to resort to a fourth rate publish-for-pay journal? in the first issue ever? that doesnt set off any warning bells with you?

The only people who are going to be making decisions based on BEST are those deniers who actually took the occasion to finally take an objective look at the evidence and change their opinions. BEST is exceedingly late to the party and has told us NOTHING that wasn't already known by all those not rejecting facts out of hand.

Forum List

Back