Omaha City Council Approves Dangerous Dog Ordinance

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
The council did approve several amendments to the bill though.

They added the American bulldog to the list of breeds that define the term “pit bull.”

The amendments also give alleged violators more time to appeal and allow pit bull owners to gain exemption from muzzle requirements by responsible owner classes and K-9 Good Citizen class.

The ordinance requires liability insurance be carried for the life of the dog.

Omaha City Council Approves Dangerous Dog Ordinance - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha

Could this be precedent setting? :eusa_think:

I'm especially intrigued by the liability insurance part.

Omaha City Council Approves Dangerous Dog Ordinance - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha

my understanding is that many homeowners policies already either won't cover certain breeds or cost substantially more if you own certain breeds. i have a miniature poodle, so i'm applying for a rebate.

at one time, i owned an american staffordshire terrier. i had to put it down. it was one of the saddest days of my life to that point, but i felt it was the right thing to do. for real.

Disgusting! Disgusting! Disgusting!

Banning a pitbull is like banning a certain type of car because more people get hit by it than any other car. Like the car, a pitbull attacking a human is caused by poor ownership. If you raise ANY dog, no matter what breed, the way these assholes raise pitbulls, you'll get a vicious dog on your hands.

However, if you raise a pitbull like a family raises a golden retriever, you'll get the same outcome - a wonderful, happy, loyal dog. BAN THE PEOPLE - NOT THE DOG!

no this is not precedent setting?

lots of city have passed very similiar ordiannces due to the danger those stupid dogs present to humans.

I know exactly what you're trying to do and I can be just as stubborn as you.

190347hgeiqc4vj4.gif

Actually, I don't have a problem with this ordinance from any standpoint except the libertarian one that says more gov't ordinances are never a good idea.

This is, however, simply legislating something that I mentioned as necessary in the last pitbull thread. The people who own dogs with more dominant personalities, like Rotties, Dobies, German Shepards, Akitas, Chows, pitbulls, etc. would do well to put their dogs in courses that teach both owner and dog who is boss, and help the owner keep their dog under control.

I think, especially in big cities, where dog fighting can be such a problem - that requiring pitbulls to be canine good citizens (a distinction that comes from passing a number of tests in the presence of a certified dog instructor including standing at a street corner around strangers, having people mess with their food while they are eating, and being ok being left alone for a few minutes with strangers, etc.) can be a great safety measure.

In the city of Pittsburgh, for example, dog fighting is so bad that no shelters will keep pitbulls...they are rarely adopted because it is so likely that they were either fighting dogs or bait dogs, which can both be dangerous. My roommates and I took in a stray pitbull once who was sweet as the day is long...when we found out that all the shelters would kill her we decided to keep her...until someone rang the doorbell one day and she started attacking one of my roommates feet...the shelter said she had been a bait dog - she wasn't the most effective fighter, but there would always be triggers that would make her go off. We had to put her to sleep and we cried about it for a week.

By requiring pitbull owners to pass canine good citizen tests and the like, you'd ensure that those people who own these dogs are the ones training them to be good, loving, loyal animals, while being able to prosecute those people who aren't taking care to train their animals.

All in all, I think this is a good happy medium between "no pitbulls" and a 17-yr old high-school drop-out and his drunk buddies who think its fun to have 20 pitbulls all roaming around their property.

Actually, I don't have a problem with this ordinance from any standpoint except the libertarian one that says more gov't ordinances are never a good idea.

This is, however, simply legislating something that I mentioned as necessary in the last pitbull thread. The people who own dogs with more dominant personalities, like Rotties, Dobies, German Shepards, Akitas, Chows, pitbulls, etc. would do well to put their dogs in courses that teach both owner and dog who is boss, and help the owner keep their dog under control.

I think, especially in big cities, where dog fighting can be such a problem - that requiring pitbulls to be canine good citizens (a distinction that comes from passing a number of tests in the presence of a certified dog instructor including standing at a street corner around strangers, having people mess with their food while they are eating, and being ok being left alone for a few minutes with strangers, etc.) can be a great safety measure.

In the city of Pittsburgh, for example, dog fighting is so bad that no shelters will keep pitbulls...they are rarely adopted because it is so likely that they were either fighting dogs or bait dogs, which can both be dangerous. My roommates and I took in a stray pitbull once who was sweet as the day is long...when we found out that all the shelters would kill her we decided to keep her...until someone rang the doorbell one day and she started attacking one of my roommates feet...the shelter said she had been a bait dog - she wasn't the most effective fighter, but there would always be triggers that would make her go off. We had to put her to sleep and we cried about it for a week.

By requiring pitbull owners to pass canine good citizen tests and the like, you'd ensure that those people who own these dogs are the ones training them to be good, loving, loyal animals, while being able to prosecute those people who aren't taking care to train their animals.

All in all, I think this is a good happy medium between "no pitbulls" and a 17-yr old high-school drop-out and his drunk buddies who think its fun to have 20 pitbulls all roaming around their property.

A dachshund is 10x more likely to bite someone than a pitbull is. Pitbulls actually pass more personalitiy tests than golden retrievers do and have better temperment. Imagine living in a home where you don't get any walks, you get overfed, and you only go outside once or twice a day. Terriers in general, which comprise hundreds of breeds, have more energy than other groups of dogs do. Therefore; if a young terrier lives in that kind of household, they're going to get all of this pent up energy built up inside of them and they won't know how to release it. It's kind of like humans when they haven't had their morning cup of coffee for three weeks... except dogs aren't as smart as humans and don't know what to do with that energy. So they bite or they attack or they do SOMETHING that allows them to release their energy.

A pitbull will only have a dominant personalitiy if the owner doesn't treat the dog as a pack member instead of letting the dog to believe it's the pack leader. If a dog thinks it's pack leader, it will do anything it wants and no course, no class, no anything will work. Humans need to be trained, not dogs. If you have a violent criminal background, you can't own a dog. Period.

A dachshund is 10x more likely to bite someone than a pitbull is. Pitbulls actually pass more personalitiy tests than golden retrievers do and have better temperment.

And Buddhists actually commit more acts of terrorism than Muslims, women rape more men than vice-versa, and children with Downs Syndrome typically score above average on IQ tests. :cuckoo:

And Buddhists actually commit more acts of terrorism than Muslims, women rape more men than vice-versa, and children with Downs Syndrome typically score above average on IQ tests. :cuckoo:

Judging from your animated Avatar, I can guess that you're not very well educated and your post is completely uneducaed. Talk about Joe Six Pack.

Judging from your animated Avatar, I can guess that you're not very well educated and your post is completely uneducaed. Talk about Joe Six Pack.

could you post a link to a dachshund severely maiming and/or killing someone. I'm sure it'll be easy- i got 480,000 hits on google for "pitbull kills child" so there must be 4.8 million about dachshunds, right?

thanks in advance.
:cuckoo:

Judging from the fact that you draw conclusions based on an avatar tells me all I need to know about your intellect.

That, and of course the totally retarded thing you said about dachshunds. :rofl:

Forum List

Back