Olympia Snowe Not Seeking Reelection

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Not good for the Republicans. They won't be able to hold this seat.

One of the Senate's few remaining Republican moderates shocked the political world on Tuesday and announced she would not seek re-election this year.

Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe announced she would not seek a fourth term because she is tired of the polarization and partisanship that has permeated Washington in recent years.

"Unfortunately, I do not realistically expect the partisanship of recent years in the Senate to change over the short term," she said in a statement explaining her decision to retire.

Maine's junior GOP senator, Susan Collins, said in a statement that she was "absolutely devastated" by Snowe's decision to leave the Senate. Snowe was first elected in 1994. Collins was elected in 1996.

Snowe said her ability to win re-election was not at issue—she was heavily favored to win re-election. Her exit gives Democrats a new opportunity to be pick up a GOP-held seat in a year where they are fighting to hold on to control of the Senate.

Maine GOP Sen. Olympia Snowe won't seek re-election

One of the Senate's few remaining Republican moderates shocked the political world on Tuesday and announced she would not seek re-election this year.

Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe announced she would not seek a fourth term because she is tired of the polarization and partisanship that has permeated Washington in recent years.

"Unfortunately, I do not realistically expect the partisanship of recent years in the Senate to change over the short term," she said in a statement explaining her decision to retire.

Maine's junior GOP senator, Susan Collins, said in a statement that she was "absolutely devastated" by Snowe's decision to leave the Senate. Snowe was first elected in 1994. Collins was elected in 1996.

Snowe said her ability to win re-election was not at issue—she was heavily favored to win re-election. Her exit gives Democrats a new opportunity to be pick up a GOP-held seat in a year where they are fighting to hold on to control of the Senate.

Maine has undertaken a scheme to control public union costs etc. You never know....

If they put someone rational in there it shouldn't matter if there is an R or a D after their name. How many Dems are retiring?

This very,very liberal Republican is calling it quits --and that is good news.She sided with the Democrats more then her own Republican party.She always sided against the American people.

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Same reason Evan Bayh decided not to run in 2010.

This very,very liberal Republican is calling it quits --and that is good news.She sided with the Democrats more then her own Republican party.She always sided against the American people.

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Actually, she voted the party line 90% of the time. Now you will get someone who votes against you 100% of the time

I can see why you are celebrating

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Actually, she voted the party line 90% of the time. Now you will get someone who votes against you 100% of the time

thats misleading. On alot of the big legislation she was Democrat.

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Really? Because she only voted along party lines 74% of the time, and voted only 69% of the time when the votes came up.
Olympia Snowe - U.S. Congress Votes Database - The Washington Post

....hmmm, wondering what leftwing hack you got your info from?

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

thats misleading. On alot of the big legislation she was Democrat.

It was misleading because it wasn't true. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back