Olmert says Rice embarrassed over UN vote; U.S. denies the claim

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
JERUSALEM - Israel's prime minister said Monday that U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was embarrassed after being ordered to abstain from voting for a United Nations ceasefire resolution that she helped arrange.

A U.S. official denied the claim.

Israel had described the resolution calling for a halt to the Gaza fighting as unworkable because it did not guarantee Israel's security, and Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said he was key in persuading the United States, a close ally, to abstain.

The resolution, passed Jan. 8 in a 14-0 vote, "calls for an immediate, durable and fully respected ceasefire, leading to the full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza."

"I said: 'Get me President Bush on the phone,"' Olmert said Monday in a speech in the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon. "They said he was in the middle of giving a speech in Philadelphia. I said I didn't care: 'I need to talk to him now.' He got off the podium and spoke to me."

Olmert said he told Bush that the United States should not vote in favour, and the U.S. president then called Rice and told her not to do so.

A senior U.S. official disputed the account.

"The government of Israel does not make policy for the United States," the official said on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the diplomacy.

Olmert says Rice embarrassed over UN vote; U.S. denies the claim - Yahoo! Canada News

Right... and?

The US asked Israel not to intervene in Iran. Israel asked the US to back down on a damaging resolution.

That's what allies do.... all throughout the international community. Even non-allies. You know, same as when we ask North Korea to do something.

Problem?

Right... and?

The US asked Israel not to intervene in Iran. Israel asked the US to back down on a damaging resolution.

That's what allies do.... all throughout the international community. Even non-allies. You know, same as when we ask North Korea to do something.

Problem?

The US foots the bill, for one.

Not true. We give them money pursuant to agreements. But we give money that goes to the pals, too. Perhaps if the pals weren't selling the aid we send to get more missiles from China, there wouldn't be any problem?

I have a big problem with America buying a war as part of some great world strategy. I know full well they aren't the only contributors but it still doesn't make it something I approve of.
One simple question---Can the mideast take care of itself without outside financing?

Right... and?

Problem?

The usual. Israel controls the US and both Israel and the US = Evil. Murdering scumbag terrorists who refuse to accept any compromise or peace negotiation = good.

:cuckoo:

Rice should be embarrassed at how awful she's done in the past 6-8 years long before this vote

Secoondly, if that story is true, Bush should be embarrassed also but he's obviously not yet so can't expect him to be here

I have a big problem with America buying a war as part of some great world strategy. I know full well they aren't the only contributors but it still doesn't make it something I approve of.
One simple question---Can the mideast take care of itself without outside financing?

I wouldn't know.

But I do know, as has been pointed out a number of times, that a good part of the aid we give to Egypt and to Israel is to maintain parity between them. I frankly haven't yet figured out why we would give money to the Saudis who have a higher per capita income than almost anywhere int he world.But what do I know?

Answer: NO

Palestine should be taken care of by arab states.

Israel cannot exist without massive infusions of aid and US taxpayer dollars from the US.

How long can we afford to support the welfare state of Israel and why should we be picking up the tab?

Answer: NO

Palestine should be taken care of by arab states.

Israel cannot exist without massive infusions of aid and US taxpayer dollars from the US.

How long can we afford to support the welfare state of Israel and why should we be picking up the tab?

As far as I can tell we are to infer that Isreal will be wiped out if we don't support them but that's sort of an insult to Israel so we don't talk about that.
The other suggesting is that our support for Israel is somehow "strategic" and is our tool to keep the Russians for becoming more powerful.
As for the real answer--I don't have a clue.

As far as I can tell we are to infer that Isreal will be wiped out if we don't support them but that's sort of an insult to Israel so we don't talk about that.
The other suggesting is that our support for Israel is somehow "strategic" and is our tool to keep the Russians for becoming more powerful.

If we support terrorists over Israel? Will Israel be destroyed? I'd suggest it would take other countries with it before it allowed that to happen.

But I'd also suggest that people who compare Israel with Hamas really don't have the wherewithal to make judgments in Israel's best interests. So there's really no reason it should pay those opinions any mind.

It's not meant as an insult. It's factual. Israel population 7,184,000, Arab population surrounding Israel 350 million. Do the math!

It's not meant as an insult. It's factual. Israel population 7,184,000, Arab population surrounding Israel 350 million. Do the math!

Insult meaning---Israel needing foreign help to protect itself. It seem to be proud of it's independence and pointing out there are not seems to offend them. And I don't think a large disparity in population really acurately reflect the danger Israel faces. All those Arabs don't have Uzis.

Insult meaning---Israel needing foreign help to protect itself. It seem to be proud of it's independence and pointing out there are not seems to offend them. And I don't think a large disparity in population really acurately reflect the danger Israel faces. All those Arabs don't have Uzis.

Well, I think we have all witnessned their ferocity as warriors. I'm just saying without the US on their side they would be up against unsurmountable odds, especially when Iran gets nukes. Israel is a little larger than New Jersey and could fit into the state of Florida 8 times. Anyone who thinks Israel with a population of seven million can stand alone against a hostile Arab world is sadly mistaken. Personally, I think the Jews have suffered enough. But that's just me.

Well, I think we have all witnessned their ferocity as warriors. I'm just saying without the US on their side they would be up against unsurmountable odds, especially when Iran gets nukes. Israel is a little larger than New Jersey and could fit into the state of Florida 8 times. Anyone who thinks Israel with a population of seven million can stand alone against a hostile Arab world is sadly mistaken. Personally, I think the Jews have suffered enough. But that's just me.

I think everyone over there has suffered enough and it's just plain ass wrong for the US to pretend to be spending all this money on peace.

If we support terrorists over Israel? Will Israel be destroyed? I'd suggest it would take other countries with it before it allowed that to happen.

But I'd also suggest that people who compare Israel with Hamas really don't have the wherewithal to make judgments in Israel's best interests. So there's really no reason it should pay those opinions any mind.

It doesn't matter if you pay attention or not. You are expected not to pay attention.

The bottom line is American taxpayers should not be paying for Israel. Leave them to their own fate .. and if they believe they should "take out nations" .. so be it .. let them go right ahead, but leave them to suffer the consequences alone. If they want to bomb Iran .. go right ahead and do it .. but leave Israel to suffer the consequences alone.

Who cares if you don't pay attention .. Americans ARE paying attention to how much of OUR money continues to get flushed down the toliet of Israel when it is so badly needed in AMERICA.

It doesn't matter if you pay attention or not. You are expected not to pay attention.

The bottom line is American taxpayers should not be paying for Israel. Leave them to their own fate .. and if they believe they should "take out nations" .. so be it .. let them go right ahead, but leave them to suffer the consequences alone. If they want to bomb Iran .. go right ahead and do it .. but leave Israel to suffer the consequences alone.

Who cares if you don't pay attention .. Americans ARE paying attention to how much of OUR money continues to get flushed down the toliet of Israel when it is so badly needed in AMERICA.

Either that or Israel does exactly what we tell them until they can support themselves. Pick your poison.

Forum List

Back