Oliver Stone: I'm Ashamed of U.S.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stephanie, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    Filmmaker Oliver Stone blasted President Bush Thursday, saying he has "set America back 10 years." Stone added that he is "ashamed for my country" over the war in Iraq and the U.S. policies in response to the attacks of Sept. 11.

"We have destroyed the world in the name of security," Stone told journalists at the San Sebastian International Film Festival prior to a screening of his latest movie, "World Trade Center." The film tells the true story of the survival and rescue of two policemen who were trapped in the rubble of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, after they went to help people escape.

"From Sept. 12 on, the incident (the attacks) was politicized and it has polarized the entire world," said Stone. "It is a shame because it is a waste of energy to see that the entire world five years later is still convulsed in the grip of 9/11.

"It's a waste of energy away from things that do matter which is poverty, death, disease, the planet itself and fixing things in our own homes rather than fighting wars with others. Mr. Bush has set America back 10 years, maybe more."

The director of blockbusters such as "Platoon," and "JFK" said the U.S. reaction to the attacks was out of proportion.
    "If there had been a better sense of preparation, if we had a leadership that was more mature," he said. "We did not fight back in the same way that the British fought the IRA or the Spanish government fought the Basques here. Terrorism is a manageable action. It can be lived with," said Stone.
    Stone rejected allegations that U.S. authorities may have known about the attacks in advance and said the real conspiracy came after.

"I think that conspiracy-mongering on 9/11 is a waste of time," he said. "The far greater conspiracy occurred after 9/11 when basically a neo-cabal inside our government hijacked policy and went to war. That was as broad a conspiracy as we can get and it was about 20, 30 people. That's all, they took over and all these books are coming out and they are pointing it out," said Stone.

"This war on Iraq is a disaster. I'm disgraced. I'm ashamed for my country," he said. "I'm also ashamed that America has attacked itself with its constitutional breakdowns. I'm deeply ashamed."

In the United States' favor, Stone posited that it's not responsible for all the world's problems.
    "You can't see that the United States is responsible for all the evil in the world because you can see so many dictators and so many bestial acts all over the world now. .... There is something in the human heart, the international human heart, that is evil," said Stone.

"That's the evil that turns its mind and ears on humanity and is able to say `I can kill a person in the name of God or religion.' This is not a human being, this a fanatic. And I fear that fanaticism is the result of our overreaction to 9/11," said Stone.
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/9/28/220505.shtml?s=ic

:banned:

2. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Flaming fucktard...

3. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72

I was going to call him a dickhead. But fucktard works for me.

:dunno:

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I had no idea that Stone was this disconnected from reality. Further, he said that Bush has set back America ten years. This coincides nicely with the ten years that Stone set the movie industry back with that POS "Alexander."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    :beer:

That's about as perfect as it gets!

6. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I'm I surprised at Oliver Stones' comments, NO.

I'm I angered, that a person who has become a multi-millionaire thanks to the country he lives in, is so quick to condemn, and lam-bash that same country, YES.

But really, who gives a shit what some dick from Hollywood has to say on ANY subject? I mean, their soooooo disconnected from reality anyway.:gay:

7. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Apparently al Qaeda's actions on 9/11 and otherwise, have not entered Ollie's realm of consciousness. [​IMG]

8. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Oliver Stone: "Terrorism is a manageable action. It can be lived with"

this is the dumbest quote in the history of mankind

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    LOL…Not 10 years Ollie, It’s more like he set the appeasers back 8 yrs. :cry: The eight years Clinton appeased all the MORONS.
    Gotta problem with that? Join the crowed that swear they’re leaving the Country.
    Wait never mind, they never do leave, so just STFU!

10. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Unbelievable. I wonder how he would "manage" it.