Older Readers with Siblings will Understand

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My wife's cousin died tragically last week, due to a severe allergic reaction to something given to him in the Emergency Room, where he had gone due to severe flu symptoms. 51 years old, married, two young kids, bad deal all around. (Malpractice suit coming? Don't know).

He was laid out for only one day, funeral Mass on Saturday, followed by a luncheon, where many paid their respects, shared anecdotes, etc.

Upon leaving, my wife offered final condolences to the sister of the deceased, and her parting words were classic: "It's good to hear all these people talking about my brother; maybe he wasn't the heartless son of a bitch I thought I knew." (Back story, their mother had had a long, painful decline to eventual death, and the brother offered no help whatsoever in taking care of the mother's needs).

But if you are older and have siblings, you have probably come to learn that the people in your brothers and sisters' lives (co-workers, neighbors, in-laws, drinking buddies, etc.) know them as completely different people from the ones you grew up with.

Just thought I'd share that.

It's only malpractice if they told the doctor about the allergy ahead of time and he prescribed the medicine anyway.

It's only malpractice if they told the doctor about the allergy ahead of time and he prescribed the medicine anyway.
Shouldn’t the doctor know whether a drug he prescribes might cause an allergic reaction? Shouldn’t a doctor be responsible for the drugs he prescribes? How can you expect the patient or his family to know whether he is allergic to any specific drug?

Shouldn’t the doctor know whether a drug he prescribes might cause an allergic reaction? Shouldn’t a doctor be responsible for the drugs he prescribes? How can you expect the patient or his family to know whether he is allergic to any specific drug?
I'm not going to explain the obvious to you.

That certainly is a tragic death. I hope the family sues and wins a huge settlement.

Death by doctor is far more common than most Americans know. We have the most expensive HC system in the world, but it fails us often. Time for a change.
The third-leading cause of death in US most doctors don't want you to know about

Unless the doctor knew he was allergic to the medication or something in it, then there is no way they would win that thing in my state.

Do you guys know every drug you might be allergic to? If so, good for you.

That certainly is a tragic death. I hope the family sues and wins a huge settlement.

Death by doctor is far more common than most Americans know. We have the most expensive HC system in the world, but it fails us often. Time for a change.
The third-leading cause of death in US most doctors don't want you to know about

Unless the doctor knew he was allergic to the medication or something in it, then there is no way they would win that thing in my state.

I'm telling you what the law is. You don't have to agree with the law, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the law.

Nurse asks you are you allergic to any drugs. You respond by honestly telling her you aren’t aware of any.

Doctor then prescribes a drug that causes an allergic reaction and you die.

Who’s at fault?

Nurse asks you are you allergic to any drugs. You respond by honestly telling her you aren’t aware of any.

Who’s at fault?
Nobody. That's why it isn't malpractice.

Gipper, when you label a truthful statement about the law as "funny" you reveal yourself to be an idiot.

I don't. Not until I have a reaction to something do I know I have an allergy.

If I haven't used a med so can't know I'm allergic... how can my doc know?

Medical malpractice requires negligence, which is (1) duty, (2) breach, (3) causation, and (4) damages.

A medical practitioner has a duty to act as a reasonable practitioner in his community.

A reasonable practitioner is not expected to know about drug allergies that are not revealed in a patient's medical history.

The fact that a patient dies is not enough to establish medical malpractice.

Who’s at fault?
Nobody

I am not allergic to any drug that I know of which is a bit odd because my mom was allergic to tons of them.

BTW, doctors sometimes will prescribe drugs that they know a patient might be allergic to if there isn't a real alternative, it is imperative. They just monitor and treat the reaction with other medications.

I am not allergic to any drug that I know of which is a bit odd because my mom was allergic to tons of them.

BTW, doctors sometimes will prescribe drugs that they know a patient might be allergic to if there isn't a real alternative, it is imperative. They just monitor and treat the reaction with other medications.
Exactly. So, when a doctor prescribes a drug that might result in an allergic reaction leading to death, he should be very cautious. If the doctor’s causes death from allergic reaction, he should be held responsible.

The doctor is an expert. He is held to a different standard. You are just a poor slob.

The doctor is an expert. He is held to a different standard. You are just a poor slob.
I am allergic to so many things I won't allow certain things from a doctor. According to lawyers and many medical professionals that means I am a bad patient. I figure so what cause I know I don't want to take a chance even if they do. Like dye for MRI's, I tell them "no" and that really gets to them but so many people have already reported major issues with that crap so why would I chance it? Doctors don't know your body as well as you do so people should take the time to study it and learn possible causes and options if they haven't already.

I am allergic to so many things I won't allow certain things from a doctor. According to lawyers and many medical professionals that means I am a bad patient. I figure so what cause I know I don't want to take a chance even if they do. Like dye for MRI's, I tell them "no" and that really gets to them but so many people have already reported major issues with that crap so why would I chance it? Doctors don't know your body as well as you do so people should take the time to study it and learn possible causes and options if they haven't already.
You are right to be very cautious, because they might kill you. Since they are so well protected from legal actions for their failures, they aren’t concerned.

Requiring the patient to know what they are allergic to is absurd. A young person likely has no clue nor someone with no history of health issues. There are so many pharmaceutical drugs now, how can a patient be expected to know what might cause an allergic reaction.

From a pretty wild youth, I have quite a list of drugs I know I'm not allergic to...

Forum List

Back