Older Folks Doing Tai Chi Less Likely to Fall

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by longknife, Sep 11, 2018.

1. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,802
    [​IMG]

Makes a lot of sense. Learn deep breathing and balance should keep us upright – at least as long as we stay sober.

There has been some evidence in past research that shows tai chi can help reduce falls.

A 2012 study from the Oregon Research Institute found that tai chi was the best exercise in treating balance issues in adults with Parkinson's disease.

And a 2012 review of 159 trials found that the martial art was the most successful exercise in reducing the risk of falling.

Additionally, a 2014 review also found that tai chi reduced the fear of falling in adults living in retirement communities.

More @ Older adults who do tai chi are MUCH less likely to suffer dangerous falls, study finds | Daily Mail Online

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,496
    Tai Chi is GREAT. It is the opposite of exercise, in that at the end of a Tai Chi session (12-14 minutes), you feel invigorated, rather than fatigued.

There is no question that doing Tai Chi regularly improves balance and movement. No question. Especially when done in the morning.

I am 69 years old and in good health, and I would recommend it to all senior citizens. And the good thing is that you can do Tai Chi at any level. I cannot perform all of the moves perfectly, but I do what I can and it really helps my physical wellbeing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1