''old'' world human endurance

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
..the Scott and Amundsen South Pole journeys were approximately 1800 miles total!
traveling over very rough surface, sometimes uphill...cold weather...sometimes pulling and pushing sleds

..then you have the Lewis and Clark/etc explorers...no high tech gear/weather/food
no hotels with hot baths ....canoeing or horseback/etc--not easy at all..no stoves/AC

..when I was in the USMC, we slept wherever and humped [ hiked ] many miles with heavy loads...just sleeping outdoors would ''wear me out'' ....
yet people today complain and cry when the weather is below 30 and they have to walk a few feet to their car...or if they have to walk a few extra yards in the parking lot....
..obviously the ''old'' worlders were much tougher
....same with the Greatest Generation....my dad endured the Frozen Chosin in the Korean War where it got down to 30 below--non-wind chill!!.....he would sleep on our back porch without AC when it felt like a sauna .....I could sleep in the cold, but never in that heat....we didn't have AC till I was about 10 or so
...any other feats of human endurance please post

..the Scott and Amundsen South Pole journeys were approximately 1800 miles total!
traveling over very rough surface, sometimes uphill...cold weather...sometimes pulling and pushing sleds

..then you have the Lewis and Clark/etc explorers...no high tech gear/weather/food
no hotels with hot baths ....canoeing or horseback/etc--not easy at all..no stoves/AC

..when I was in the USMC, we slept wherever and humped [ hiked ] many miles with heavy loads...just sleeping outdoors would ''wear me out'' ....
yet people today complain and cry when the weather is below 30 and they have to walk a few feet to their car...or if they have to walk a few extra yards in the parking lot....
....same with the Greatest Generation....my dad endured the Frozen Chosin in the Korean War where it got down to 30 below--non-wind chill!!.....he would sleep on our back porch without AC when it felt like a sauna .....I could sleep in the cold, but never in that heat....we didn't have AC till I was about 10 or so

Too many to mention, I simply love physical and mental challenges.

Maybe the craziest one that comes to mind (outside some marathon workout sessions or literally 12 hour+ sport days as a kid, or long wrestling tournaments). Years ago a friend and I rode to the beach from our location outside Toronto, which was about 20 clicks one way, going there we had our legs and it is downhill, seemed to be a breeze. Coming back though after spending the afternoon there and walking around, it was much tougher, though I flew so far ahead of my buddy I literally had to sit and wait about 20 min. before he arrived.

He swore up a storm and was spinning his legs in slo-motion, he was spent. That night, of all the many heavy squat workouts I've had and hours of playing sports, my legs buzzed and burned like never before, looking back, I'm surprised I didn't cramp up. It was great to be young.

I've always loved Survival shows and have an interest in learning from these people. I wouldn't place myself in such a situation purposely as many do, but, if I am ever stuck in a bad spot it could help me survive so why not learn? The human body can go to great lengths, it's God perfect creation. It's our duty to push it.

Maybe the craziest one that comes to mind (outside some marathon workout sessions or literally 12 hour+ sport days as a kid, or long wrestling tournaments). Years ago a friend and I rode to the beach from our location outside Toronto, which was about 20 clicks one way, going there we had our legs and it is downhill, seemed to be a breeze. Coming back though after spending the afternoon there and walking around, it was much tougher, though I flew so far ahead of my buddy I literally had to sit and wait about 20 min. before he arrived.

He swore up a storm and was spinning his legs in slo-motion, he was spent. That night, of all the enges many heavy squat workouts I've had and hours of playing sports, my legs buzzed and burned like never before, looking back, I'm surprised I didn't cramp up. It was great to be young.

I've always loved Survival shows and have an interest in learning from these people. I wouldn't place myself in such a situation purposely as many do, but, if I am ever stuck in a bad spot it could help me survive so why not learn? The human body can go to great lengths, it's God perfect creation. It's our duty to push it.
yes, many stories of people doing the ''unbelievable''
the mental challenges along with the physical
Shackleton was a great one--
just think of the men left on Elephant Island while Shackleton left ...for over 4 months! the men on Elephant Island did not know if they would be rescued or not--very mentally challenging --no TV/inet/much to do--no communication....except----wait and wait...not knowing if Shackelton would make it and then make it back to get them

hot-drink.jpg

[The crew enjoys a first hot drink on solid ground in over a year (Image: RGS–IBG)/QUOTE]
Freezing, hungry, thirsty and unable to say with confidence at any point that the ice they made camp on wouldn’t suddenly split in two
ON THIS DAY: 1916, Shackleton arrives on Elephant Island - Geographical

He swore up a storm and was spinning his legs in slo-motion, he was spent. That night, of all the enges many heavy squat workouts I've had and hours of playing sports, my legs buzzed and burned like never before, looking back, I'm surprised I didn't cramp up. It was great to be young.

just think of the men left on Elephant Island while Shackleton left ...for over 4 months! the men on Elephant Island did not know if they would be rescued or not--very mentally challenging --no TV/inet/much to do--no communication....except----wait and wait...not knowing if Shackelton would make it and then make it back to get them

hot-drink.jpg

[The crew enjoys a first hot drink on solid ground in over a year (Image: RGS–IBG)/QUOTE]
Freezing, hungry, thirsty and unable to say with confidence at any point that the ice they made camp on wouldn’t suddenly split in two

Was that the guy who almost had a mutiny on his hands and convinced his crew to keep going? Or is that an entirely different story?

The stuff many people went through in history was due to obviously the necessity as they didn't have the technology or creature comforts. Also, many who explored the New World and pursued riches and fame. Can you imagine travelling by ship and not know what you might find somewhere in the world? Different looking people, lifestyles and God knows what. Exciting stuff.

Then there is this one recently. I think it deserves it's own thread it's so amazing!

100-year-old runners set world records at USATF Masters Indoor Championships!

maybe you are thinking of the HMS Bounty mutiny and Pitcairn Island?
I think a big difference is communication ..nowadays the adventurous/inventors/even the Apollo moon landers had ''instant'' communication....so they could feel ''more safe''
..remember Apollo 13 had comm to help them get back to Earth after the blow up
Apollo 13 - Wikipedia
...the people on Elephant Island had no comm....they just had to ---wait --never knowing anything ...just hoping

Last edited:

hot-drink.jpg

Was that the guy who almost had a mutiny on his hands and convinced his crew to keep going? Or is that an entirely different story?

The stuff many people went through in history was due to obviously the necessity as they didn't have the technology or creature comforts. Also, many who explored the New World and pursued riches and fame. Can you imagine travelling by ship and not know what you might find somewhere in the world? Different looking people, lifestyles and God knows what. Exciting stuff.

Then there is this one recently. I think it deserves it's own thread it's so amazing!

100-year-old runners set world records at USATF Masters Indoor Championships!

..my dad died when he was about 87--but he was in fantastic shape.....he was a pinch runner on his over 60 baseball team....he kept in shape and watched his calorie intake
...whenever we went camping/out he would want to walk and walk forever--that's what they did in the old days.....they crossed the prairies and mountains and didn't ride the whole way
....I rode my bike to work everyday except if it was snowing or got below 20F...3 miles there...my coworkers thought this was amazing ......I think I walked 3 miles in 5F one time...I got a little heated since I bundled up.....
this was nothing compared to what the ''old worlders'' did....I knew I could go to someplace to warm up/get food/etc .....the old worlders couldn't

Don't forget the common man. Mom and dad would wake the family up on the farm at 5:00AM for church. They would heat a brick and put it under a cover on the carriage for the kids, then start the hour drive to town. Today we won't leave the house if the heater in the car is broke and it is 35 degrees outside.

Don't forget the common man. Mom and dad would wake the family up on the farm at 5:00AM for church. They would heat a brick and put it under a cover on the carriage for the kids, then start the hour drive to town. Today we won't leave the house if the heater in the car is broke and it is 35 degrees outside.
The old sailors were an amazing bunch; they still are. Just quiet-like enduring whatever the sea throws at them. I was really impressed with the fact that they just wouldn't quit when I was reading the story of the whaler The Essex (In the Heart of the Sea). Saying "Uncle" wasn't in their vocabulary. Tough men with a resolute attitude and a lot of knowledge.

The old sailors were an amazing bunch; they still are. Just quiet-like enduring whatever the sea throws at them. I was really impressed with the fact that they just wouldn't quit when I was reading the story of the whaler The Essex (In the Heart of the Sea). Saying "Uncle" wasn't in their vocabulary. Tough men with a resolute attitude and a lot of knowledge.
good call.....no steam/power for the ships ...no GPS....no refrigeration for food....rocking/moving/etc even while sleeping....destination sometimes unknown....no weather reports ......etc

Forum List

Back