Old People and the Internet....

Well it's not the internet but it is computer-like technology.

Our local grocery store recently installed a few self checkout aisles which are basically touch screen operations. I've noticed not very many older folks want to use them, preferring instead to wait in line for a human to check them out. I'm guessing it's due to a technology gap with many seniors.

Well it's not the internet but it is computer-like technology.

Our local grocery store recently installed a few self checkout aisles which are basically touch screen operations. I've noticed not very many older folks want to use them, preferring instead to wait in line for a human to check them out. I'm guessing it's due to a technology gap with many seniors.

I don't think so. Most of the folks in the Senior class among our friends don't mind using the touch screens for a few items and it isn't a technology gap, but they have two motives for using the traditional checker:

1. Like me they hate losing the personal and human touch in all they do and prefer chatting with other shoppers and the clerk. And they don't want the clerk to become unnecessary.

2. And they usually have more free time on their hands and sometimes just don't want to be bothered with doing it themselves and enjoy having their groceries checked and bagged for them. (Most would still be using the old style gas stations where you get your windshield washed and your oil and tires checked too if they still existed.)

Forum List

Back