Old People and the Internet....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by California Girl, May 9, 2011.

1. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I've been commissioned to write an article about the impact of the internet on the everyday lives of older people.

I'm particularly interested in the over 70s and social networking - facebook etc.

Are any of you in that age group or know anyone in that age group who use the internet that I could talk to. I have research on the subject but I'd like some real life input and maybe do a case study or two.

2. slukasiewski

slukasiewski BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    AARP has already done alot on this.

Who commissioned you to do the work on this?

3. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Too bad it's the over 70 group.

Hey. That's a great subject for the other article you want to write, CG. The internet for homebound people. Those who suffer fear of being out of their homes, hermits, disabled folks who rely on the net for social connections, etc.

4. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Not sure if it is of much help but my sixty something mother loves shopping on the big store sites and uses facebook of course.

So far the only real problem she has with her computers is she never met a toolbar she could resist installing lol. It slows down her lap top, every so often I have to junk them to make it run ok.

She has been a computer user at work for some time though so she isnt the total newb type.

5. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    My ex will soon be 64. If the cable is out, you have never seen a warrior on the warpath like he is. He wants his pogo, dammit, and he wants it NOW. Oh, and his craigslist.

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    My clients are my business.

7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    My mom is 84 and my dad will be 89 next month. They won't even use the TVGuide feature on the On Demand box. My dad did recently discover that their cell phone - no, they don't really know how to work that either - has a calculator. His reaction was "hey, did you know the cell phone has a calculator? Neat nate!", then he turned the cell phone off and sat on the counter. That they have a cordless phone is a techno as they will ever get. Sorry, I'm of no help.

8. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Cell phones have calculators??? lol. Learn something new every day!

(I hate gadgets). I turn mine on. It rings, I answer. I call, they answer. The end.
    Took me almost a year to figure out my digital camera. Recently discovered it actually had ZOOM. I was stoked. Purely by accident, too.

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I'm seeing several other articles in this thread. Thanks guys!!

10. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    My parent and even my grandmother (Mothers side lives long, and I just so happen to take my Mom's side)
    I set up a Linux box for them several years back. I used Linux for ease of use, and I don't have to go over there every other day and clean up spyware/malware.
    Anyhow - my Mother is 70, my dad is 73 and my grandmother is 86. (grandmother lives in an upstairs apt. abover their home)
    My dad barely uses it, but my Mom and grandmother use it about everyday.
    Mom primarily uses it to send/view family pictures people take, share stories, share recipes, poems etc. etc. She watched a video of her niece having a baby about 4 years ago 900 miles away. (the camera angle was...modest)
    Same for my grandmother.
    They also get online coupons, and shop a little online.

The best thing is my wife and her...75 I think he is...father...he lives in Mexico along with the rest of her family.
    We use skype to talk/see each other.
    She got to "visit" him in the hospital when he had heart surgery in San Antonio. I am really glad for both of them that they had this...brought his spirits up big time as he also used skype to talke to my wifes brother and sister.