Old human cells rejuvenated in breakthrough discovery on aging

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
brian wang | November 8, 2017 |
1Save
A new way to rejuvenate old cells in the laboratory, making them not only look younger, but start to behave more like young cells, has been discovered by researchers at the Universities of Exeter and Brighton.
A team led Professor Lorna Harries, Professor of Molecular Genetics at the University of Exeter, has discovered a new way to rejuvenate inactive senescent cells. Within hours of treatment the older cells started to divide, and had longer telomeres – the ‘caps’ on the chromosomes which shorten as we age.

This discovery, funded by the Dunhill Medical Trust, builds on earlier findings from the Exeter group that showed that a class of genes called splicing factors are progressively switched off as we age. The University of Exeter research team, working with Professor Richard Faragher and Dr Elizabeth Ostler from the University of Brighton, found that splicing factors can be switched back on with chemicals, making senescent cells not only look physically younger, but start to behave more like young cells and start dividing.
The researchers applied compounds called reversatrol analogues, chemicals based on a substance naturally found in red wine, dark chocolate, red grapes and blueberries, to cells in culture. The chemicals caused splicing factors, which are progressively switched off as we age to be switched back on. Within hours, the cells looked younger and started to rejuvenate, behaving like young cells and dividing.

https://www.nextbigf...y-on-aging.html

Getting closer to something awesome!

1Save
A new way to rejuvenate old cells in the laboratory, making them not only look younger, but start to behave more like young cells, has been discovered by researchers at the Universities of Exeter and Brighton.
A team led Professor Lorna Harries, Professor of Molecular Genetics at the University of Exeter, has discovered a new way to rejuvenate inactive senescent cells. Within hours of treatment the older cells started to divide, and had longer telomeres – the ‘caps’ on the chromosomes which shorten as we age.

This discovery, funded by the Dunhill Medical Trust, builds on earlier findings from the Exeter group that showed that a class of genes called splicing factors are progressively switched off as we age. The University of Exeter research team, working with Professor Richard Faragher and Dr Elizabeth Ostler from the University of Brighton, found that splicing factors can be switched back on with chemicals, making senescent cells not only look physically younger, but start to behave more like young cells and start dividing.
The researchers applied compounds called reversatrol analogues, chemicals based on a substance naturally found in red wine, dark chocolate, red grapes and blueberries, to cells in culture. The chemicals caused splicing factors, which are progressively switched off as we age to be switched back on. Within hours, the cells looked younger and started to rejuvenate, behaving like young cells and dividing.

Read about the troglodytes in Borges' work. He was basically like, if you could live for ever, you'd have no reason to do anything.

• Banned
1Save

Read about the troglodytes in Borges' work. He was basically like, if you could live for ever, you'd have no reason to do anything.

Hell, if I could just live to a high probability of 150 years old with decent health I'd be really happy. I aint talking forever. ;)

Either way unless we can find a new universe we only have a few tens of trillions of years anyways. ;) And if we don't get off this planet we only have about a billion more years. But who knows.

1Save

Hell, if I could just live to a high probability of 150 years old with decent health I'd be really happy. I aint talking forever. ;)

Either way unless we can find a new universe we only have a few tens of trillions of years anyways. ;) And if we don't get off this planet we only have about a billion more years. But who knows.

I went traveling around Africa with no time frame. My initial goal was to go all the way up from South Africa to Ethiopia.

I got about two months in and was like, "I'm not enjoying this any more", and now when I travel about two weeks is enough. I still like going to new places, but as I get older and older things become the same. Egypt was my first real shock of a country. But since then countries I thought might be a shock just aren't. So I'm not really expecting shock, and the only way to get that is to go to places that are dangerous or difficult.

Now, in everything, people get older and they get set in their ways, they don't search for new things, they often stop studying, they often stop caring.

A population full of 150 year olds would be a population of people trying to fuck up and destroy everything simply because they don't care any more.

Mexico and Korea were my first culture shocks in traveling.

Yes, two weeks is about right, but if you want to really 'feel' and enjoy Cornwall and the Highlands in the UK, you probably need four weeks. Each.

I would love to see the day when one can have a 20 year-old's physiology and 65 year-old's mind.

Youth is a wonderful thing. It is a shame it has to be wasted on children.
-- George Bernard Shaw​

This technology is absolutely evil.

If you live for 150 years or forever, you will eventually become the slave of something more powerful than you. Do you fancy to be a slave forever?

If we are slaves of life, it does not matter whether we live 5 minutes or 150 years.

1Save

high probability of 150 years old with decent health

Well, if we lived that long, we'd also be broadly expected to work for something on the order of 100 years. In some ways, that's a good thing for it means that a lot of thought and learning would not be lost such that it needs to be rediscovered, as it were, by others who succeed us. On the other hand, the statement conjured in my mind the thought that insofar as a fair quantity of folks aren't keen to work at all or for 30-40 years, perhaps the notion of living that long wouldn't be welcomed by all. To close on a positive note, however, living that long would give folks who are "slow on the uptake" more time to "get it" and do something productive with their lives.

1Save

high probability of 150 years old with decent health

Well, if we lived that long, we'd also be broadly expected to work for something on the order of 100 years. In some ways, that's a good thing for it means that a lot of thought and learning would not be lost such that it needs to be rediscovered, as it were, by others who succeed us. On the other hand, the statement conjured in my mind the thought that insofar as a fair quantity of folks aren't keen to work at all or for 30-40 years, perhaps the notion of living that long wouldn't be welcomed by all. To close on a positive note, however, living that long would give folks who are "slow on the uptake" more time to "get it" and do something productive with their lives.

There is always the competition problem.

1Save

I'm so sorry.. That the break through that you are so happy about has already been discovered years ago.

Forum List

Back