Old Farts Unit!

Mr. P said:
CSM.......

Party Lines...Yes
Vacuum tubes... yes

Little League Baseball when it was fun...Parents didn't fight in the stands.
No seat belts in cars...(Good we've changed that).
35 cent per gallon gas.
Sputnik/ Shepherd and Glen.
Polio vaccine

Staying out until dark indeed, in all kinds of weather! Finding just the right stick to play "cowboys and indians" or "army". Catching fireflies and keeping them in a jar. Nickel cokes in a glass bottle. milk delivered to your door and having to shake the bottle to make sure the cream got mixed in good. Hiding under your desk during the nuclear attack drill in school.

Mr. P said:
Hahahahahahaha

Why do you ask?
It's been propossed that as you get older that you tend to hide your age
or tell people you are younger than you are. I think you're only pretending
to be an Ole Fart and actually belong to the Dust club.

Just Kidding. I was just curious

I remember my Mom gave us 2 x's to come in and use the bathroom and after that you got locked out.. Boy, that water from the water hose never tasted so good after you let it run for a minute or so ! :dance:

CSM said:
Staying out until dark indeed, in all kinds of weather! Finding just the right stick to play "cowboys and indians" or "army". Catching fireflies and keeping them in a jar. Nickel cokes in a glass bottle. milk delivered to your door and having to shake the bottle to make sure the cream got mixed in good. Hiding under your desk during the nuclear attack drill in school.

Oh yes, army was a favorite. Sticks worked well...and you could dictate what it was.
M1...machine Gun...etc...Of course the size of the stick had to be appropriate for it's designation
else the other kids would say...NO. Hahaahahahaha

Yes ..all kinds of weather too...Remember metal skates with a key? I'm sure ya do.

I lived in south Fla. until age 12. We would disconnect front and back of the skate
and nail it to a board...maybe the first "Skate Boards", huh? Lots of fun..
Well, When a Hurricane was coming and the wind got blowing pretty good, we'd take the closet rod from the house (it was always wood) and mount it on the skate board, attach a bed sheet and MAN would you sail down the street!!!!!!!!! You could feel the heat from the metal wheels on your feet!!!!

Mr. P said:
Oh yes, army was a favorite. Sticks worked well...and you could dictate what it was.
M1...machine Gun...etc...Of course the size of the stick had to be appropriate for it's designation
else the other kids would say...NO. Hahaahahahaha

Yes ..all kinds of weather too...Remember metal skates with a key? I'm sure ya do.

I lived in south Fla. until age 12. We would disconnect front and back of the skate
and nail it to a board...maybe the first "Skate Boards", huh? Lots of fun..
Well, When a Hurricane was coming and the wind got blowing pretty good, we'd take the closet rod from the house (it was always wood) and mount it on the skate board, attach a bed sheet and MAN would you sail down the street!!!!!!!!! You could feel the heat from the metal wheels on your feet!!!!

Hell yeah. I made my first skateboard when I was about 12; almost didn't make it to 13 because of it.

Mr. P - you have to be close to my age to remember the old fashioned skate boards - I was a pro with them - also wore my roller skate key on a chain around my neck! Anyone who remebers the air raid drills certainly qualifies for the dust group - but I think I am more like "dirt"! Ever hear "The Shadow" on the radio - used to scare the crap out of me. I also recall seeing a grand parade when WWII ended (although I was a little young to know what the hullabaloo was all about).

Joan said:
Mr. P - you have to be close to my age to remember the old fashioned skate boards - I was a pro with them - also wore my roller skate key on a chain around my neck! Anyone who remebers the air raid drills certainly qualifies for the dust group - but I think I am more like "dirt"! Ever hear "The Shadow" on the radio - used to scare the crap out of me. I also recall seeing a grand parade when WWII ended (although I was a little young to know what the hullabaloo was all about).

You appear to be a wee bit older than I. I wasn't even thought of when WWII ended. I was around shortly afterwards though (within 5 years, heh)

Joan said:

I think ya got me by a few yrs..Joan. But we can still relate.
I've definitely heard of the shadow...but don't remember ever hearing the show,
"only the shadow knows" for sure though.

Joker..Not ignoring you...But I only feel as old as I think I am...hahahaha, That ain't Dust, yet.
But...I'd fit into YOUR dust group.

Mr. P said:
Who remembers....

Howdy Dudie and Buffalo Bob

The Mickey Mouse Club when Annette was on

Zoro

Roy Rogers, trigger an Tonto

Car 54 where are you

Mighty Mouse

Atom Ant

Sky King

Lamb Chop

Leave it to Beaver

My three Sons

Hazel

Sea Hunt

The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits when they were in Black an white

Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans

and here's one...The NBC peacock when it spread its feathers, in color.

I am not THAT old (unless you want to call 24 old), but I DO know or have seen most of these shows/people before.

I used to watch Mighty Mouse when I was little, and my hubby has a 16mm silent filmstrip reel that we recently watched that has Mighty Mouse on...when I worked nights at McDonalds during my summers in high school, I would watch The Mickey Mouse Club with Annette on Nick at Night (or Disney i think-can't remember the station) and "Leave it to Beaver" on Nick at Night, and was just amazed at the difference in kids then and now...Me and my friend in elementary school drove our teacher nuts on a field trip by singing "The song that never ends..." from Lamb Chop...my cousin stayed with me and my grandma one summer and he used to watch The Twilight Zone, then proceed to torture me and give me nightmares. I never watched it, but I knew about it. Captain Kangaroo was on as reruns before Sesame Street, and if I was up early enough before Sesame Street, I would watch it. "Car 54 where are you" I have never seen, but I think they made a movie from it. As far as the others, I have never seen them or heard of them.

I was awfully little but mom watched:

December Bride
My Little Margie starring Gale Storm
Ann Southern was a secretary in something
Liberace had his own show

Grandma watched 'Harrigan' about lawyers I think

I remember playing marbles in the dirt (I dont think kids do that anymore) and I remember when both girls and boys played jump rope. Ever played "Red Rover"? Of course there was always baseball and football with the neighbor kids in the backyard. Sword fighting with sticks (bruised knuckles always!). Winter was sledding with a real sled and if someone had a tobogan they were special. Fishing with a stick, hunk of line and a diaper pin for a hook. Homemade bread made in the oven (no bread machines back then) and my favorite was homemade brownies baked from scratch (no mixes!) with lots of walnuts in them. Trick or Treat lasted all day and no one worried about some of the stuff we worry about today. Saturday morning was cleaning day and the house got scrubbed from top to bottom (I can still smell the Pine-Sol). Yellow laundry soap (tastes awful!).

CSM said:
Yeah they do but they are harder to spot under the wrinkles.
:rotflmao:
My boss just looked at me like what the hell is so funny!

Red Rover, Red Rover send Donna right over...
And marbles too...in the dirt of course!

How about what we called "chicken fights" I don't know why.
4-6 or so kids team up and then piggy-back...the object was for each piggy-back
team to pull the rider off all the other teams.
Last two standing won. What fun that was...And ya know I only remember 1 overweight
kid growing up.

Forum List

Back