Old enough to fight, old enough to decide.

Credit is a strong seductive force that can easily be misunderstood by people who were awarded gold starz for effort for shitting their pants and not knowing answers .
it should be restricted and monitored .
By who?
An out of control government that cannot control its own spending of course!

Maybe parents should talk to their kids about money management.

The government won't be controlling the issuance of credit cards, dummy. But they will be making it unlawful to gouge the consumer. State usury laws concerning bank regulations on interest rates have been circumvented by banks simply tacking on the word "national" to its name, thereby using the loophole that a "national" bank is not subject to state usury laws.

Huffington Post isn't strictly "liberal." It never was. It only gained that reputation because it prints intelligent, SOURCED, material, and we can't have honesty as part of the fringe generation now, can we.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arianna Huffington was once an avid conservative member of the GOP, and to this day, she continues to have "conservative" views on a variety of current issues. She often appears on Morning Joe where she can be heard opposing the group think of other guests at the table. If only more high-profile news commentators did the same. But you will never find that kind of fair-minded discussion on Fox, so laugh all you want. Your loss.

This "graduated adulthood" crap is getting rediculous. I blame the inherent narcissism of the Boomers first, and then the stupidity of linguini-spined liberals unable to pull the trigger and take the consequences of providing clean lines of when adulthood starts.

So now you're blaming liberals for laws involving when a person becomes an adult? Jeezus, now I've seen it all. The indoctrination is complete. Please don't pass on your stupid genes.

Ok I'll answer the question regardless of the fact that I cannot link it to any revelance regarding the topic of Military Service, or Credit Worthiness:

Generally I suppose a person can be tried as an adult if they are accused of committing homocide when they are 18 years old, m'k?

Now, would you mind enlightening us as to whatever this might have to do with the thread?

This discussion is about the age in which one legally assumes adulthood and is legally granted rights afforded to adults in society. So I'm making the connection that if the age is 18 for military service, being tried as an adult, getting credit cards, etc., perhaps there is a point to setting the age of adulthood for everything at 18. That's it. You're saying the age of an adult is different for different circumstances.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The age 18 for military service is set because our military is a NATIONAL function.

Every STATE can set legal drinking age, legal age of consent (sex), legal age to be tried as an adult for homocide, legal driving age, legal drinking age, legal age to leave public school (undegreed), etc., etc.

I'm not "saying" the legal age is different, depending on the circumstance, it IS different depending on the circumstances. And this is for good reasons.

:lol: You just said they are good reasons for the legal age to be different depending on circumstance! And we're back to where we started. Are you fond of circular arguments?

Arianna Huffington was once an avid conservative member of the GOP, and to this day, she continues to have "conservative" views on a variety of current issues. She often appears on Morning Joe where she can be heard opposing the group think of other guests at the table. If only more high-profile news commentators did the same. But you will never find that kind of fair-minded discussion on Fox, so laugh all you want. Your loss.

she is a hypocrite along the lines of Robert Kennedy Jr......Do as i say not as i do...

I keep hearing that same old tired argument--"..old enough to fight..." used for whatever--drinking, now for credit cards, etc.

The real problem in my view is that they are NOT OLD ENOUGH TO FIGHT!!! Eighteen is not old enough to make what could be a life or death decision for your future. Don't lower the age for drinking or credit--MAKE 21 THE AGE FOR ENLISTMENT! There are too many young people who are joining up without knowing all of the ramifications. Very similar to not being mature enough to handle drinking or in many cases, credit cards.

I am very supportive of raising the enlistment age to 21 in order to give the kids a chance to mature, learn, and make a more informed decision.

I keep hearing that same old tired argument--"..old enough to fight..." used for whatever--drinking, now for credit cards, etc.

The real problem in my view is that they are NOT OLD ENOUGH TO FIGHT!!! Eighteen is not old enough to make what could be a life or death decision for your future. Don't lower the age for drinking or credit--MAKE 21 THE AGE FOR ENLISTMENT! There are too many young people who are joining up without knowing all of the ramifications. Very similar to not being mature enough to handle drinking or in many cases, credit cards.

I am very supportive of raising the enlistment age to 21 in order to give the kids a chance to mature, learn, and make a more informed decision.

By the age of 21 I was a team leader. Responsible for 3 other individuals. The military turns 18 year old immature boys into Mature young men very quickly. I would do it all over again.

And you arrived at the age of 21 how exactly?

JACKSON, Miss. — Jack Lucas, who at 14 lied his way into military service during World War II and became the youngest Marine to receive the Medal of Honor, died Thursday in a Hattiesburg, Miss., hospital. He was 80.

Lucas had been battling cancer and died shortly after midnight after he requested doctors remove a dialysis machine, his wife, Ruby, told The Associated Press.
Nation & World | WWII vet who was youngest Medal of Honor winner dies | Seattle Times Newspaper

The youngest person ever to receive the Medal of Honor was probably William "Willie" Johnston, who earned the Medal during the Civil War just prior to his 12th birthday and received his award 6 weeks after his 13th.

Upon hearing of the Pearl Harbor attack, while a student at Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass., George Bush decided he wanted to join the Navy to become an aviator. Six months later, after graduation, he enlisted in the Navy on his 18th birthday and began preflight training at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After completing the 10-month course, he was commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Naval Reserve on 9 June 1943, several days before his 19th birthday; making him the youngest naval aviator then.
LT(JG) George Bush, USNR

I'm not sure I understand your question. When I was growing up in the 60's--21 was the legal age--period. You couldn't drink, sign a contract or vote--until you were 21. Strangely enough though, you could enter the military, one of the most dangerous choices, especially at that time, during Vietnam.

I believe such an important decision should be delayed until 21, rather than lowering the age for the other privileges.

I'm not sure I understand your question. When I was growing up in the 60's--21 was the legal age--period. You couldn't drink, sign a contract or vote--until you were 21. Strangely enough though, you could enter the military, one of the most dangerous choices, especially at that time, during Vietnam.

I believe such an important decision should be delayed until 21, rather than lowering the age for the other privileges.

ill go with 20....no longer a teen,now an adult....

ill go with 20....no longer a teen,now an adult....

I seem to remember learning that High School was the final preparation for a young person to be prepared to become an adult. When I enlisted I was 18 and scared, but mature enough to make that decision. I learned my lessons well in High School and learned them even better and faster in the military. Again, I would do it all over.

That reminds me of a story about tradition:

The new Jewish bride is making her first big dinner for her husband and tries her hand at her mother's brisket recipe, cutting off the ends of the roast the way her mother always did. Hubby thinks the meat is delicious, but says, "Why do you cut off the ends? That's the best part!" She answers, "That's the way my mother always made it."

The next week, they go to the old bubbie's house, and she prepares the famous brisket recipe, again cutting off the ends. The young bride is sure she must be missing some vital information, so she askes her grandma why she cut off the ends. Grandma says, "Dahlink, that's the only way it will fit in the pan!"

In his 1954 State of the Union address, President Dwight D. Eisenhower became the first president to publicly state his support for prohibiting age-based denials of suffrage for those 18 and older.[1]

On June 22, 1970, President Richard Nixon signed a law (not a constitutional amendment) which required the voting age to be 18 in all federal, state and local elections. In his statement on signing the extension of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, Nixon stated:

Despite my misgivings about the constitutionality of this one provision, I have signed the bill. I have directed the Attorney General to cooperate fully in expediting a swift court test of the constitutionality of the 18-year-old provision.
Twenty-sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems to me that these young people who are able to select those who represent them in matters of law that have an effect on them should be able to fully partake as citizens.

she is a hypocrite along the lines of Robert Kennedy Jr......Do as i say not as i do...

Why? Because she saw the folly of "conservatives" and isn't quite a "liberal"?? And Robert Kennedy Jr. has always been a liberal, as far as I now. Where's his hypocrisy?

JACKSON, Miss. — Jack Lucas, who at 14 lied his way into military service during World War II and became the youngest Marine to receive the Medal of Honor, died Thursday in a Hattiesburg, Miss., hospital. He was 80.

Lucas had been battling cancer and died shortly after midnight after he requested doctors remove a dialysis machine, his wife, Ruby, told The Associated Press.
Nation & World | WWII vet who was youngest Medal of Honor winner dies | Seattle Times Newspaper

The youngest person ever to receive the Medal of Honor was probably William "Willie" Johnston, who earned the Medal during the Civil War just prior to his 12th birthday and received his award 6 weeks after his 13th.

Upon hearing of the Pearl Harbor attack, while a student at Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass., George Bush decided he wanted to join the Navy to become an aviator. Six months later, after graduation, he enlisted in the Navy on his 18th birthday and began preflight training at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After completing the 10-month course, he was commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Naval Reserve on 9 June 1943, several days before his 19th birthday; making him the youngest naval aviator then.
LT(JG) George Bush, USNR

Oh come on, Navy. Teenagers were a LOT more mature back in those days. They didn't sit on their asses in front of television and computer games in their spare time; they were in better physical shape because they did strange stuff like ride bikes; their studies were much more difficult and they usually listened to their TWO parents concerning values.

(May Jack and Willie rest in peace.)

Last edited:

LT(JG) George Bush, USNR

Oh come on, Navy. Teenagers were a LOT more mature back in those days. They didn't sit on their asses in front of television and computer games in their spare time; they were in better physical shape because they did strange stuff like ride bikes; their studies were much more difficult and they usually listened to their TWO parents concerning values.

(May Jack and Willie rest in peace.)

You know Maggie, I believe that these young people today, some of them on thier 2nd or even 3rd deployment and not yet 21 are just as brave, and just as mature as any generation that came before them. While I do understand where you are going Maggie, and at times young people do seem to defy logic, what I do see as society asking some of them to do a very difficult job and bestowing upon them the rights of adulthood then telling them they are not adults based on the fact that they are notresponsible enough to make decisions , such as paying thier own debts, that would apply to many more americans over the age of 21 I would suspect that it would below that age, so perhaps isn't it better to require the companies that provide these services to reform themselves for all people who wish to aquire credit rather than just one age group? and if society is not ready for these young people at 18 to vote or defend thier nation then do not allow them to do so, but do not tell these young people who sometimes die for this nation that they cannot enjoy the benefiots of the very nation they are defending, in my opinion Maggie that is clearly the wrong message to send.

Navy, I honestly believe your thoughts on this are because you happen to have a daughter who is well behaved. There most assuredly are many more like her, but my exposure to the high school academia is that the percentage of slackers and would-be slackers is pretty high, and pretty scary when I remember that generation is next up to lead this country.

Forum List

Back