Old American Car

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Let's go for the old American Car, i like like the Willys...And you ?

Willys_Six_97_4-Door_Sedan_1931.jpg

Willys - Wikipedia

probably a 1960s 'mopar' sleeper Grandmas church car . Bigger the motor the better . I'd leave it pretty much stock except for tires and some chrome wheels from that period .

How "old" we talkin'?

4140218944_80fa606666.jpg

Actually when I started driving I was specifically avoiding American cars.
How "old" we talkin'
From the beginning...:)
Running by February, 1893 and ready for road trials by September, 1893 the car built by Charles and Frank Duryea, brothers, was the first gasoline powered car in America. The first run on public roads was made on September 21, 1893 in Springfield, MA. They had purchased a used horse drawn buggy for $70 and installed a 4 HP, single cylinder gasoline engine. The car (buggy) had a friction transmission, spray carburetor and low tension ignition. It must not have run very well because Frank didn't drive it again until November 10 when it was reported by the Springfield Morning Union newspaper. This car was put into storage in 1894 and stayed there until 1920 when it was rescued by Inglis M. Uppercu and presented to the United States National Museum.
Duryes1.jpg

Henry Ford had an engine running by 1893 but it was 1896 before he built his first car. By the end of the year Ford had sold his first car, which he called a Quadracycle, for $200 and used the money to build another one. With the financial backing of the Mayor of Detroit, William C. Maybury and other wealthy Detroiters, Ford formed the Detroit Automobile Company in 1899. A few prototypes were built but no production cars were ever made by this company. It was dissolved in January 1901. Ford would not offer a car for sale until 1903.

Forum List

Back